Who gives the best port lectures?

Gypsea

I am trying to find answers about the port talks and whether one cruise line offers more of these or better quality lectures than another. The contenders are HAL, Princess and Celebrity. Travelers are hoping to visit the Baltic ports and have never done so before. Any comments, suggestions? Personally, I have not attended these in recent years but I assume they are still given.

Thanks,

Rita

They are certainly still given, but our experiences have been that the quality and depth of the talks are not a function of one particular cruise line, but of the individual who is giving the talks and how much research they have done and the personal knowledge of the particular port. We had a wonderful lady on one HAL ship who knew her stuff and would make herself available later to answer specific questions. The following HAL cruise, we had an absolute dud - I think I could have done a better job. I mention HAL as an example, but the we have had the same sort of variances with Celebrity and Princess. Princess seems to spend more time pushing certain stores and vendors than giving actual facts about the port, the region and the local people and foods; I always have the feeling on Princess, that the line is getting a "kick back" for pushing certain stores - just my opinion, no facts.

Do you mean port talks where they explain the different shore excursions, shops, etc., or do you mean port talks when a historian/naturalist/expert talks about what you will be seeing?

The latter are usually guest lecturers, and if you're ever going to the Panama Canal and someone named Wolf is the lecturer, you are in for a treat. I don't know if you can find out in advance which cruises he will be on, but he is in a word utterly fabulous (that's two words :) )

Thank you. I appreciate you both taking time to comment. I actually mean both types of lectures. Enrichment lectures were part of their question which I take to mean more of a historical nature. Though not necessarily related to the cruise or it's ports of call. For example, Cunard line has guest lecturers about all sorts of things.

Now that you mention it the last one I attended was more to do with the shopping experience and that is what made it my last one. I just can't remember which line it was.

I will forward this information and thanks again.

More opinions, experiences and advice?

Archived