Snorkeling in Maui?

cruisergal 1

Dh and I will be cruising the islands with Celebrity Mercury, and will be in Lahaina from Nov 18 arriving at 7 a.m. to Nov 19th leaving at 11 pm. We would like to do a snorkeling excursion on the second day in Maui in the morning. I have found numerous companies offering catamarinds to Molokini, and some to both Molokini and Turtle Town. The companies are Pacific Whale Foundation, Expedia Local Expert, Boss Frog's, Adventuresmaui.com, Activity Warehouse, & Barefoot tours. Has anyone been on any of these excursions? What experience have you had with them? How much time does it take to get from Molokini to Turtle Town? We don't want to take up too much snorkeling time in travel time. The 2 catamarinds we were looking at were, Frogman & Fourwinds II. Any comments on either of these?

We were in Hawaii a few weeks ago and had made advance reservations (over the internet) with Four Winds II for Molikini Crater sorkel. It was a wonderful experience and we had a great time. The water was a little rough that day, but we still had a good trip. Enroute back, we did go to the area with sea turtles and saw numerous turtles in the water - quite a site to see. Part of the tour package included bagels/juice/coffee for a light breakfast, and the lunch was very good and quite ample - burgers, chicken breast, etc. all grilled onboard. I would recommend taking the morning tour.

FYI, "Turtle Town" is anywhere the boat captain feels like going. There is no specific location - I've been to a Turtle Town off of Makena (only a couple of miles from Molokini) and very close to Maalaea also. I think it depends on how smooth the sea is at that locale. Off of Makena once it was absolutely glassy smooth - kind of odd, actually.

I've also heard of a turtle town near Kihei, and one below McGregor Point - or is that "Coral Gardens"? (Another cute snorkel locale with a rather vague position.)

In all the Molokini tours I've been on (4 or 5 or so) I don't recall anyone even mildly upset that they didn't get enough water time in. Usually people get back on board and eat rather than look at the fishies.

Most of the names you have listed are booking agencies for tours, not actual boat companies, I would suggest either trilogy tours or gemeni charters (that one leaves off of kaanapali beach). Molokini is completely over rated IMPO, I would take a boat that goes to honolua bay over molokini any day.

Most of the names you have listed are booking agencies for tours, not actual boat companies, I would suggest either trilogy tours or gemeni charters (that one leaves off of kaanapali beach). Molokini is completely over rated IMPO, I would take a boat that goes to honolua bay over molokini any day.

I think this was answered already but I can't find it:o soooo,

How does one get from the pier area to Kaanapali beach and back? Cab?

thanks.

I did a Molokini w/turtle town excursion on the Pride of Maui thru this website http://www.travelhawaii.com/maui_molokini_snorkel.php

It was fun and food & drinks was very good. I heard mixed reviews about Molokini. Water was very clear and you could see a long ways. There weren't a lot of fish in my opinion and the coral was near the shore and the waves can easily knock you into it when you are up close. One kid had his leg scraped on the coral and he was in big time pain. I enjoyed turtle town much more even though the visibility wasn't as good and the water was more murkey. Lots of coral, easy to swim around, turtles and tons of fish. By far better snorkeling in my opinion. Other people have mentioned better places to snorkel so read up on it. The ride from Molokini to turtle town wasn't very long. It took a lot longer to get to Molokini & back to Maui than it took to get over there. I'm thinking it was about 20 minutes to get to turtle town but I could be wrong on my estimation. Whatever you decide, you will have fun.

Thank you all for your suggestions. One more thing, do you think it is necessary to book in advance?

Usually, but you could always take your chances and wait. If you just show up at the pier, whichever company you've chosen may or may not have space for that day.

beachchick

Thanks for the suggestions. Gemini fit the bill for me and I went ahead and booked it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did the NCL Molokini snorkle excursion on the spur of the moment on our second day on Maui. It was on a Pacific Whale Foundation boat and cost me $100. The PWF does their own tour for $79.00. Both PWF boats were pretty crowded. I am spoiled by the snorkeling in Cozumel. I was disappointed in the coral and fish at molokini.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the suggestions. Gemini fit the bill for me and I went ahead and booked it. :)

We did go on the Gemini snorkel sail and it was GREAT! http://www.geminicharters.com/snorkel.htm

It was a really nice big catamaran and the day we sailed they only had 21 passengers booked so it was terrific not to be on a the usual "snorkel ferry" type tour. We sailed from Ka’anapali Beach Westin so you have to get from the ship's tender pier. We cabbed it for $15 each way but there was a shuttle, I think, as well.

Any questions...just ask.:)

Archived