Returned today from NE/Canada on Dawn

EileenN

We were on the 9-13 sailing for 10 days on the Dawn to New England and Canada and returned today. It was one of the most enjoyable cruised we have had. It was the first cruise that we did not go into warm weather and we were very pleasantly surprised how much we enjoyed it. The average age of the pax was 66.7 and there were 14, yes 14, children on board. The crew may have enjoyed the cruise more than we did after 800 two week before us.

We had fairly nice weather, not for the pool, but great for touring and visiting. Only had any rain in Bar Harbour. Saw dolphins and a few whales along side the ship after leaving Boston. Those who went on the whale watching boats in Maine, got soaked and saw nothing.

We ate in Teppenyaki, Impressions of Italy twice, Venitian, Aqua, LeBistro and Cagneys. We enjoyed every meal and the service was great.

The Officers were always available and made the rounds of all restaurants nightly stopping at every table to check on the satisfaction of the diners, taking notes and making suggestions. Hugo was the Hotel director and was extremely professional and approachable at all times. He is a neat guy to talk with and added greatly to the trip. Anca was the concierge on board and she is fabulous, on top of everything. Any request was dealt with and follow quickly. She is a pleasure to talk with. We received an invitation to dine with the officers one evening. It is something they used to do and hope to start again once the chaos of the summer crowd died down. One officer per table with 8 or so guests. It seemed to be done with a lottery system.

We were lucky enough to get the Captain and the other couple who were assigned to the table did not show. So it was just the three of us and the Captain all evening. It was something we will remember well as a special time. What a kind person.

We received a call the night before we left for an upsale to an AB from a BB and took it. We had Mark as our butler and Rose as the room attendant. The ship has a great team on board. We loved it.

Our DD is in a wheelchair and we did not get off at most ports. We did hire a car and driver in Quebec, which was a very impressive city. We talked to the drivers of cabs, cars and vans outside the ship and one named Nick was wonderful. In his other job, he drove the handicapped for the Quebec government. We also got off in Sydney for a walk on the pier which had a craft fair and small local dealers presenting their crafts for sale. A piper met the boat and the high school band played as we left. We were impressed by their efforts to encourage tourism. The sea was calm and the weather for the most part was cool but pleasant. Leaves have not yet began to change, but the fall was in the air. A pleasant change from warm weather. All in all, we would do it again.

Thank you for sharing your experience - glad you had an enjoyable cruise. Having dinner with the captain sure is something special (speaking from experience :D )

We'll be sailing on the Dawn in less than 5 weeks now - getting very excited ...

I can honestly say that the older group of cruisers were a pleasure to sail with. Not that I am not in this catagory myself. People were pleasant and patient. A great crew added to the mix. The Hotel Director Hugo has it running like a well oiled machine.

EileenN:

OMG!! There was "14 children" on board!! How on earth did you survive!! What were those parents thinking -- taking their children on a vacation??

Where was the child catcher from "Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang" when you needed him??

You should say an extra prayer tonight that our family didn't select this cruise instead of scheduling the 10/14 sailing of the Dawn because then there would have been "15, yes 15 children on board!!"

H.C.1961

Thank you for your review. We leave 10-4. This will be a first for us...1st grandchild, his first birthday, 1st NE trip, 1st Canadian for me.

Can you please tell me about the weekly spa fee and what is included and all the details. Thank you.

The Spa fee for the 10 day would have been $100. for the week if purchased on the first day, if I remember correctly. Personally we were too busy to warrent that for three of us. They ran specials for massages all during the time including on shore days. My DD and I had a $99. neck, shoulder, back and feet massage each and loved it. It would allow us to use the indoor pool for a swim that day, but we were refused a day pass that would allow us to return to the pool after lunch for a swim. The pool could only be used after we finished the massage but that was 1:00 pm and we had not eaten lunch.

Happy camper....it was sad to see the Kids crew marching a group of 5 pirates around the Garden Cafe and to see the buffet section for children closed from lack of use. You sure will liven up that area. Hope you enjoy the ship as much as we did.

Eileen,

Sure enjoyed your review. Sounds like you and your family had a fun relaxing time.

Good to hear Hugo is carrying on with his Officers Dinners. It was one of the highlights of our Spirit Swizzler cruise last year. He does such a great job.

Maybe the Gem next for you?

Loved reading your review, Eileen. 3 of my sisters and I were on the Dawn last Sept., for a 7 day cruise to Canada/New England. We just loved it....it was just as you said regarding weather, age group, and lack of children (which was nice for me having 5 of my own).

DH and I were on the Dawn in June for the Bahamas/Bermuda cruise...our first cruise together; 1 sis and I did the same at the end of July and only got off the ship for a stroll through Hamilton in Bermuda.

While the ports are an added bonus, the Dawn to us is a wonderful vacation, in and of itself.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Snorklin Barb: Hugo and the food and beverage manager spoke very well of you and how much they enjoyed your time on the Spriit. Jimmy Kovel was in rare form and kept things rolling along. He and his assitant Ingrid, did a great show with the "Liar's Club". It was a riot. Jimmy is one of the best CD ever. Yes, we will be on the Gem on January 26th. Not sure what crew will be on board by then, but anxious to see the new ship. I could wander the Dawn with my eyes closed and never get lost after 5 cruises on her, and still not enough. I believe there is a plan to bring her back to NY next fall but do not know for sure.

Lil Sister: Good to hear you enjoyed Canada as well. I plan to do that again.

I am not sure who is Food and Beverage Mngr as of this week. Vinny, a delightful, pleasant man from Canada of Indian decent, left the ship when we arrived in NY on Sunday. He was always with Hugo for the nightly rounds of the restaurants.

Are you planning to post from the Gem in January? I would look forward to hearing from you in detail. Smooth sailing, Eileen.

I am not sure who is Food and Beverage Mngr as of this week. Vinny, a delightful, pleasant man from Canada of Indian decent, left the ship when we arrived in NY on Sunday. He was always with Hugo for the nightly rounds of the restaurants.

Are you planning to post from the Gem in January? I would look forward to hearing from you in detail. Smooth sailing, Eileen.

EileenN:

I apologize for the unkind remarks from yesterday. If I'm going to raise my son to be well mannered it has to start with me. I over reacted to your post and I'm sorry for that. It's not my intention to cause bad feelings between myself and anyone else on this board.

I hope you have a nice day.

H.C.1961

Eileen' date='

We'll wave to you as we're getting off the Gem on the 26th.

Klaus & team should be there still.

Hugo's great, too. Wonder if it was Tony Lockett, F & B? Not sure who's currently on the Dawn.[/quote']

Thanks Ellen...we are doing the same cruise in October....love the Dawn..ours will be the last NE/Canada for the season.

Hey Barb.....should we mention your name ???.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Happy Camper, I did not take offense with your post. I have a new granddaughter and would love to be able to curise with her and our family but they live in California. We are looking into a cruise from the west coast so that could be possible. Hope you enjoy the Dawn as much as we did. It was one of the best we have ever had. Outstanding!!

Archived