What is Hula pie?

cheddarcat

There are variations on Hula pie, but it's usually made with a graham (sp?) cracker crust (either plain or chocolate), a little chocolate sauce added to the shell, then filled with coffee ice cream, then topped with whipped cream and possibly a bit more chocolate sauce. It's usually served in huge pieces bit enough to share...if you're feeling gracious.

In Hawaii you can usually find it at Duke's, Kimo's, Leilani's....several more in that chain.

Actually, since we're talking chocolate, my favorite island dessert is served at Roy's...their chocolate dark chocolate souffle with vanilla bean ice cream is pretty hard to beat....

But then, you must be able to tell that I don't really pay to much attention to desserts.....Hah!

Enjoy!

murphysmum;)

I read about it too and was going to try one. Thanks for posting this question as I don't like coffee and coffee ice cream.

So I need to find another island dessert to try.

I'm afraid there's been some miscommunication. Mud Pie is the one made with coffee ice cream and is widely available on the mainland. It was very popular in the late 80s and early 90s (and still is, for all I know).

Hula Pie is similar, but not the same. Hula pie is made with a chocolate cookie crust and mac nut ice cream (not coffee--if it is made with coffee ice cream, it is not a real hula pie), then it's topped with fudge/chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and mac nuts. Do try one (as long as you like mac nuts, of course).

beachchick

And when I first read the original reply I was a little bit confused.

It's made w/MAC Nut ice cream (and beachchick was kind enough to correct).

We had a first taste of this yummy treat at Keoki's in Poipu and can't wait to try it again when we return to Kauai in December at Dukes (staying at Marriott this time). Also planning on stopping for shave ice at WIshing Well (think I have correct stand) with mac. nut ice cream on bottom.

MMMM

Carolyn

As I'm reading this, I'm eating my lunch with an apple as my dessert - trying to loose a few pounds before our cruise. It's a good apple, but it's just an apple.:rolleyes:

I can't wait to dig into a piece of this Hula pie. It just looks and sounds divine!! Thank you for asking and for all of you posting the answer.:)

Actually, that picture of Hula Pie posted on this thread does not do it any justice. The piece of Hula Pie that I had was at least 8 inches tall!! I had it both at Duke's on Kauai and also at Kimo's in Lahaina on Maui. I think the one at Kimo's was better, but they were very similar. It was delicious. Mac nut ice cream, chocolate sauce on a very crunchy chocolate cookie crust. Yummy!!

WOW! Thanks BC you came through again! I want one of them, so from what I'm reading Dukes is the place to get it? Any where else on another island if we miss it at Dukes?

It was originally made at Kimo's, so that's the place to get one, but there are several other good choices.

beachchick

If you intend to go to Poipu Beach you can get a slice at the bar at Keoki's (which is the same chain as Dukes, etc.) in the mall where Roy's is. Keoki's has the same bar menu as Dukes and it a nice place to catch a quick and reasonable meal (lunch or light dinner).

And of course, Hula Pie!!

Enjoy

Carolyn

Actually, that picture of Hula Pie posted on this thread does not do it any justice. The piece of Hula Pie that I had was at least 8 inches tall!! I had it both at Duke's on Kauai and also at Kimo's in Lahaina on Maui. I think the one at Kimo's was better, but they were very similar. It was delicious. Mac nut ice cream, chocolate sauce on a very crunchy chocolate cookie crust. Yummy!!

1942376-hula_pie_a_slice_of_heaven-Poipu.jpg

Archived