New to family cruising, some ?'s re: your experiences

live4vacation

We will be taking our 3 year old on the Crown Princess in November. My husband & I have been on many cruises but this is our first cruise with our daughter. Any information you provide will be helpful.

I was wondering about your experiences with the kids club--do your children give you a hard time when you leave them? My daughter is in preschool a couple times a week and still gives me a hard time when I leave. I have talked to her teacher and she assures me the show ends right after I leave. I was just wondering how the kids club deals with it. We do not plan on leaving her in there much, maybe at night during a show. What do they do at night? Watch movies? Is it ok for them to fall asleep in there?

I have been reading the boards and have the DVD player on our list as well as some sand toys. Is there anything else you/your child couldn't live without? Do you bring snacks for the kids or do you find there is plenty for them to eat onboard?

What are your experiences with sleeping in the same room? I am wondering if she is going to think it is playtime since we will all be together w/o any curtains to separate the two areas.

Are kids allowed to use any small inflatables in the pool? Like a small innertube?

We will be going to St. Kitts, Grenada, Bonaire, can anyone suggest a tour or kid friendly beach?

Sorry for all the dumb questions--I just want to be prepared :D

I'm sure the counselors handle reactive kids all the time, so don't worry. But rest assured, if she continues to disrupt, they will contact you. Sometimes the counselors don't have the time and temperment to handle kids who can't adjust. Remember the three strikes program?

You don't need to bring snacks. There's plenty you can get at the buffet in terms of snacks. Just go to breakfast in the morning and stock up on the boxed cereal, fruit and other snackables.

They do not allow any blowups in the pool. The pools are already overcrowded and toys in the pools are not allowed. You didn't mention this but, unless your child is out of diapers, they cannot go in the pool.

Did you order a pack and play for your cabin? That's where most parents have their toddlers sleep.

Have your DD attend the kid's program the first couple of times that they have it on your cruise. It will be easier for her to make friends at the earlier sessions -- and then if there are kids there that she recognizes and likes, it will be easier for her to disengage from you on other visits.

If there is something that she is particular about as far as snacks are concerned (particularly for pre-nap or bedtime snacks), bring it with -- otherwise stock up at breakfast each day and you should be fine.

I generally buy a few little treat type toys for the kids -- that way if they get completely enamored by something that you don't want to buy, you can distract her with a treat you've brought, or it can make a long meal go better. Or you can use them as prizes if you play family games (we always do a "visual" scavenger hunt with a treat of some sort when we've finished for the day).

Archived