Morning in Vancouver

cfs

We are flying into Vancouver the evening prior to our cruise. We have only a few hrs. to see some highlights before boarding the ship. What is the most efficient way and what should we see? Would the Trollet or a short tour be best? can we get to the Brig=dge with either of these?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cfs:
We are flying into Vancouver the evening prior to our cruise. We have only a few hrs. to see some highlights before boarding the ship. What is the most efficient way and what should we see? Would the Trolley or a short tour be best? can we get to the Bridge with either of these?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trolley would be an option but you wouldn't really have time to get off and on- but a good overview. Other options would be Stanley Park, Granville Island or Gastown?

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]Join me on the beautiful Diamond Princess in July 2005 for Cruise Critic's Awesome Alaskan Adventure --You'll have a whale of a good time![/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle
One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea..</font>

Vancouver is a world class city. If you have never been there before you should try to see as much as possible...the trolley would be a good choice. If your ship does not depart until 5:30 I would not plan on boarding until after 4...after all you will be on the ship more or less for a week!

[url="http://www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif"]www.geocities.com/warrnhu/wars/knight8.gif[/url]
Cunard Princess 9/83
Big Red Boat 10/95
Conquest 3/03
Spirit 8/04

I noticed that if you do a shore excursion to burchart gardens in vancouver through the ship (at least the ship i'm going on - the norwegian star) - it costs $50 for an adult and $25 for a child. But it looks like the admission is about $28 us dollars for adults and about $3 for children. So isn't it much better to just take a taxi and go independently (especially if you have a few people with you)? Is there a problem with my thoughts (i.e. is there a risk to tickets being sold out or something)?

thanks!

Butchart Gardens is in Victoria-a 2 hour ferry ride from Vancouver(each way). Then you need to get to the ferry and also the gardens and then get back to the ferry. The ship deal is good. Keep in mind you are going to spend most of the time travelling and not very much at the gardens.

Time for another Cruise!

Agreed! But there's plenty to see and do in Vancouver. If you like walking, do the "Seawall" around Stanley Park (watch for the black squirrels! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) Granville Island is a very nice place to hang out, with a GREAT "farmer's market", second only to Pike's Place in Seattle. Gas Town is kinda cute, but is mostly for tourists (or the night owls who like to party irreverently). Absolutley not to be missed is the "Fish House" in Stanley Park for lunch or dinner! Just tell a cabbie "Fish House"...they'll know where to go. Also, some like to 'people watch-and-shop', for this, Robson Street is the place to be. And if you find yourself on Robson, and are going to stay away from the Fish House, the next best bet is "Joe Fortes" restaurant on Thurlow.

Have fun!

STingray
"I'll show you mine, if you show me yours" (James 2:18)

I guess my take on Vancouver before or after cruising to Alaska is to make the most of one of the most interesting and beautiful cities in the world - along with Seattle [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] - rather than looking for natural scenery that will be knocked out of the park comparitively on the cruise. Remember it's [I]Alaska[/I] you're going to, and all the Capilano Canyons and Grouse Mountains you'd see around Vancouver don't hold a candle to what's up the (marine) highway.

On the other hand, Alaska - hell, most of the US - doesn't have too many cities that can hold a candle to Vancouver, so make the most of your city time and civilization while you can. You're in a city with one of the biggest Chinatowns in North America, with vibrant South Asian (Indian, Pakistani) neighborhoods, a big (that's big) Scottish influence (buy ace meat pies, haggis, sausage rolls, other yummy things at Laidlaw's bakery on Oak St.), Cricket games in Stanley Park, gardens the equal of Butchart's (at Queen Elizabeth Park and Van Dusen Gardens), great noshing along Robson or Denman or in Yale Town, antiquing on S. Main... golly, it's such a good city that it's a shame to ignore its city-ness in favor of trotting off to some touristy suspension bridge.

As Dennis Miller would say, "Of course that's just my opinion; you might not agree." [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

With only a morning, I'd head to Granville Island for breakfast, then poke around the market, then I'd go to Stanley Park, take a tour around the park perimeter, then hit the aquarium. If there's still time, I'd finish with dim sum in Chinatown, walk around some more, then off to the boat.

Archived