Dining w/ Disability

My husband & I will be cruising to the Mediterranean with Royal Caribbean on Nov. 3rd. Although this is our 4th cruise, it is our first to Europe. We planned on doing all of the excursions on our own, that way we can take our time, and see what we want to see. My only concern is with my husband, who has multiple sclerosis. He has hand tremors, so eating can prove a little difficult for him. We always ask for a large spoon, and when ordering a drink, we always ask for a straw…even with wine :)

Do you think we are going to have trouble ordering a meal in a restaurant with special requests, or am I just worrying for nothing?

Thanks,

Melissa

My husband & I will be cruising to the Mediterranean with Royal Caribbean on Nov. 3rd. Although this is our 4th cruise, it is our first to Europe. We planned on doing all of the excursions on our own, that way we can take our time, and see what we want to see. My only concern is with my husband, who has multiple sclerosis. He has hand tremors, so eating can prove a little difficult for him. We always ask for a large spoon, and when ordering a drink, we always ask for a straw…even with wine :)

Do you think we are going to have trouble ordering a meal in a restaurant with special requests, or am I just worrying for nothing?

Thanks,

Melissa

You should not have a problem,but before you are seated make sure the person seating you has an idea of what you need just in case the waiter has limited english,and it may help if you had a picture of what your needs are just as a backup...pictures can be worth their weight in gold if language is a problem. I am adding 2 links that you can sift through that may be of help on ytour trip.

Handicapped Travel Europe

Slow Travel - Disabled Travel in Europe, accessible Europe

My husband is also disabled. Our special needs request has been to have his meat cut in the kitchen before it is served. Makes meals so much more pleasant for him. We have never had a problem asking for what we need. Most times, the staff literally bent over backwards to comply with our requests. Just relax and enjoy yourself. Most folks on cruises are very tolerant of people with disabilities...............we always are asked to join others at dinner, but we prefer a table for two, but we love to join others in the activities when they are of interest to us. Good luck and happy cruising. Also, have you tried checking out the Disabled board on Cruise Critic? I've learned so much from the experience of others.

Thanks,

Melissa

It just dawned on me this morning..a sorta solution when you are in a resto re ports...take a package of the straws with you in case(and sometimes thery are) the straws are flimsy,and take a soup spoon ot whatever size you use just in case...that way you are covered re lanhuage,they don't have it or whatever else:D

• 2 weeks later...

Your bigger problem may be toilet facilities in restaurants. If your husband is in a wheelchair, the toilet is often down stairs or upstairs. I've seen toilets with a handicapped sign on the door at the bottom of a flight of 14 steps.

Your bigger problem may be toilet facilities in restaurants. If your husband is in a wheelchair, the toilet is often down stairs or upstairs. I've seen toilets with a handicapped sign on the door at the bottom of a flight of 14 steps.

This is true,BUT in some cases there is a small lift someplace that a wc will fit in to take the person down or up...must ask.

Thanks everyone for your input...very helpful.

My husband is not in a wheelchair, the MS only affects his hands at the moment, and when we've gone on cruises in the past, they always cut up his food at the table for him. I've never had a problem on the cruise ship...everyone is always so helpful and kind to him. I was just worried about the restaurants in port.

Cberge...I also thought about carrying my own straw & spoon around as well, I guess it's a good idea if two people thought about it :D

Melissa

Thanks everyone for your input...very helpful.

My husband is not in a wheelchair, the MS only affects his hands at the moment, and when we've gone on cruises in the past, they always cut up his food at the table for him. I've never had a problem on the cruise ship...everyone is always so helpful and kind to him. I was just worried about the restaurants in port.

Cberge...I also thought about carrying my own straw & spoon around as well, I guess it's a good idea if two people thought about it :D

Melissa

Get the small pkgs of the strong straws..they work really well and won't bend..the spoon is up to you.Yes..good idea as one never knows what you will find:D .I am sure you both will be fine and have a great trip and in the ports as well.

Archived