Why Doesn't Carnival Sail From NY All Year Round

franncos

I can not imagine not filling up year round. RCCL and NC do. With population reaching millions with in driving distance of a few hours I can't believe they would not make money. Yes you would have some slow periods but you have that anywhere they sail. Any thoughts?

I can not imagine not filling up year round. RCCL and NC do. With population reaching millions with in driving distance of a few hours I can't believe they would not make money. Yes you would have some slow periods but you have that anywhere they sail. Any thoughts?

I agree I would sail more often being that I could drive to the port in 45 minutes from my house!!

As a Ny'er I'd bet it has alot to do with the weather. The cold would definatly turn me off. Our winters are very unpredictable with storms that can close airports and often do. It would seem that too many issues could occur? I've also heard from friends that have sailed out of NY City in the winter that the water is very choppy? I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to convince my husband to take a cruise from NY even though we could easily make the drive in less than 6 hours.

2 Words.....Darn Cold!!!!!

But a nice 7 day cruise in February to the caribean would be so nice. As someone just said with the roof's of some ships that cover the pool's it would be so nice. It beats sitting on a airport the runway in Feb going to FL to catch a cruise.

As a New Yorker (born and raised), I wish they would have year-round sailing but I do understand why they don't with our lovely frigid winters and unpredictable snow storms. One Christmas Eve a few years back, we were all having dinner, heard about only a chance of snow and when everyone went to go home, there was literally a blizzard outside. We had to shovel to get everyone out of the house. There was over a foot of snow on the ground by the next morning. :eek:

I wish that cruise lines sailed out of more east coast ports. If they can sail from Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston to Bermuda in the summer, why not from there to the Bahamas/Caribbean in the winter? Less chance of bad winter weather closing the airports in those cities, too.

I've driven from NC to Canaveral just to avoid the airfare. I'd happily drive the 2-3 hours to Norfolk to cruise. I'd reach Platinum in no time!!!

Grammyandpooy.. Just think in the middle of Feb if you sailed out of NY in less then 24 hours where there was snow you caould be getting a George Hamilton tan.

But you failed to mention, would she even be able to get there to get on the ship.

NYC is one place I will go and visit, but in the winter, no way, Texas Gulf Coast all winter for me.

I was absolutely frigid sailing out of NY one May. I can't even imagine sailing out even earlier.

I can't imagine having to wait inside the ship while outside warms up.

Besides, I also hate sailing where the sun sets at 4:30. From any port. Did it once. UGH!

I wish that cruise lines sailed out of more east coast ports. If they can sail from Baltimore, Norfolk and Charleston to Bermuda in the summer, why not from there to the Bahamas/Caribbean in the winter? Less chance of bad winter weather closing the airports in those cities, too.

I've driven from NC to Canaveral just to avoid the airfare. I'd happily drive the 2-3 hours to Norfolk to cruise. I'd reach Platinum in no time!!![/quote]

But the PRICES suck huge. We are booked on Victory out of Norfolk and it will average out because I don't have to pay to fly, for fuel, or hotels but it is darn near double the deals I can get out of Fla.

This winter, Jan & Feb Holland America will be sailing out of NYC. I'm sure that those people would face the same obstacles getting to the port of embarkation as RCCL & NCL do. However, maybe Carnival has done some research and decided it was too many obstacles to overcome.

I've driven from NC to Canaveral just to avoid the airfare. I'd happily drive the 2-3 hours to Norfolk to cruise. I'd reach Platinum in no time!!![/quote]

But the PRICES suck huge. We are booked on Victory out of Norfolk and it will average out because I don't have to pay to fly, for fuel, or hotels but it is darn near double the deals I can get out of Fla.

Carnival has the best prices out of Florida.

February of 2006 we sailed out NYC on ncl dawn. The weather was good on the way down, but on the way home we hit a Noreaster from about North Carolina back up to NYC. Thats is the year NYC had a blizzard. We were in 18 to 20 foot swells. I didn't think the cruise ship would make it into the port that day but they did. We were smart enough to bring a snow shovel to dig ourselves out on the roof top, because we drove there from Atl City, NJ. There were people there anxious to get on the cruise ship, just like we were anxious to get off. I am so thankful we drove, no one could hardly get a cab let alone and room for the night. All the hotels were booked. I don't think I would ever sail out of NYC in February again. Oh by the way some of the workers on the cruise ship, it was their first time seeing snow. Plus the first time they had to shovel snow in the pool to get rid of it.

Maybe the reason Carnival doesn't sail from NYC in the winter is because their ships don't have heat. It was pretty cool than usual on board the Victory last week with outdoor temps in the 60's. Our waiter told us that the Victory has only a/c, no heat.

Debbe

February of 2006 we sailed out NYC on ncl dawn. The weather was good on the way down, but on the way home we hit a Noreaster from about North Carolina back up to NYC. Thats is the year NYC had a blizzard. We were in 18 to 20 foot swells. I didn't think the cruise ship would make it into the port that day but they did. We were smart enough to bring a snow shovel to dig ourselves out on the roof top, because we drove there from Atl City, NJ. There were people there anxious to get on the cruise ship, just like we were anxious to get off. I am so thankful we drove, no one could hardly get a cab let alone and room for the night. All the hotels were booked. I don't think I would ever sail out of NYC in February again. Oh by the way some of the workers on the cruise ship, it was their first time seeing snow. Plus the first time they had to shovel snow in the pool to get rid of it.

I remember that blizzard....I think we got close to 20 inches of snow here in the city. I just couldn't imagine being on a cruiseship in weather like that. :eek: Nor would I want to.

We sailed out of NYC in October '06. We could not enjoy the Sail Away on any of decks due to the wind. On the way back we hit a Noreaster with 18-24 ft swells. That was not fun at all. Half of the crew and passangers were sick. I spent most of the day in bed. I don't think I would take that chance again.

However being able to see the Statue of Liberty and the New York skyline at dusk was breathtaking. (We left late due to several inspections). Other than that the cruise was wonderful 11 days to the South Caribbean.

Archived