Snorkel "retainer"?

BethCarp

Silly question I know. But is the "snorkel retainer" the clip that holds the snorkel onto the mask so that the snorkel doesn't fall down? I bought my son a set and it doesn't have that clip so I'm looking for a new snorkel that has that clip. I found one on ebay and I just want to make sure it has what I want.

Silly question I know. But is the "snorkel retainer" the clip that holds the snorkel onto the mask so that the snorkel doesn't fall down? I bought my son a set and it doesn't have that clip so I'm looking for a new snorkel that has that clip. I found one on ebay and I just want to make sure it has what I want.

Hi,

Yep, the snorkel retainer is the clip. You can buy these pretty cheap at places like www.scuba.com, www.leisurepro.com, www.diversdirect.com and others. There are plastic and cloth ones both shaped like figure 8's where one circle goes over the snorkel, you slip it through the mask strap and hook it back onto the snorkel with the other circle, then slide it down into place. Others are a clip that snap onto the snorkel. Be aware that snorkels are not all the same diameter so the clip could not fit, make sure you know what the diameter is if you're looking at these.

Randall

thanks for the info and I have another question. My kids snorkels have something that looks like this on them. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_976/Context_974/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_6%3d524/AQUSK.html?Hit=1 What is that used for?

Hi,

That's a snorkel retainer. :) Put it on the snorkel tube, wrap it around the mask strap and put the other end on the snorkel tube. Slide it down and you're set.

Randall

If you have the keeper, place one loop over the top of the snorkel tube (the long part that sticks out of the water, then the left side of the mask strap, then the other loop again, over the top of the snorkel tube. If you don't have the keeper, get a thick office rubber band, loop one end around the snorkel tube, then around the mask strap, and then again around the tube. Works great, less expensive.;)

OK, so this rubber thing does the same type of thing as the clip? I think I may have just broken the mask. Grrr. The snorkel has a dry top on it so I couldn't take the rubber piece off. I pulled out the mask strap and now I can't get it back in. :rolleyes: Maybe my kids won't want to snorkel. *Sigh*. Thanks for your help anyway.

ETA: The other kids snorkel dosen't have a dry top so I was able to get that one to work!

OK, so this rubber thing does the same type of thing as the clip? I think I may have just broken the mask. Grrr. The snorkel has a dry top on it so I couldn't take the rubber piece off. I pulled out the mask strap and now I can't get it back in. :rolleyes: Maybe my kids won't want to snorkel. *Sigh*. Thanks for your help anyway.

ETA: The other kids snorkel dosen't have a dry top so I was able to get that one to work!

Hi,

Unless you heard a snap, or crack, it may just be a case of it being tough to get the mask strap back in (they're made to be difficult to slide out of the holder on the mask for obvious reasons). Anyway, look at the other side of the mask you didn't remove, see how it's threaded and put it in the same way. On most masks you have to press in on the strap holder to open up the channel to allow the mask strap to thread through it. If there's like a tab covering the threading point this may be the case. Also with dry snorkels (the ones with caps on them), normally you can slightly squeeze the snorkel tube and pull the mouthpiece off and then put on the snorkel keeper on from the bottom and then put the mouthpiece back on. If in doubt, before you throw it all away, look up a local scuba diving shop and take the mask and snorkel to them. I'm sure they'll put it all together for you for free. Anyway, hope this helps.

Randall

Thanks again for your help. No, it didn't technically "break". I just can't physically get the strap back in. I'll have my DH work on it. He's usually pretty good with that kind of stuff.

I'd look that the clasp on the mask. Like I said, some have a toggle lock. It locks out the mask strap so it can't slide in/out under the water. By pushing down on it, it unlocks the threading point and allows the mask strap to easily slide in/out. I assume this is your problem. If your DH struggles with it, take it to a local dive shop. They won't laugh. :D

Randall

Archived