Help! Recent Russia cruisers. I leave Friday 9/28 for Russia river

Luckyducks

Hi you lucky cruisers who just got back from Russia.

Please, please tell me what the weather was like.

I'm having a packing dilemma.

I know it will be rainy, but will it be cold?

Do I need a heavy coat or will I be sorry that I'm schlepping it around?

Thanks for any info.

Mari

Mari, Sorry, we're in the middle of shampooing our carpets and I haven't been checking CC. Anyway, I did respond to your question under my initial post. Also, everyday before we left, I checked the weather of both Moscow and St. P. If you haven't done this, it gives you a good idea. Go to www.weather.com type in st petersburg russia (same for Moscow), and click on that city, then look across the top where it gives a 10 day forecast. Only the 1st 5 days will be accurate (according to my weather-man husband), but right now both cities are in the mid to high 60's. Pretty nice weather. Benita gave great advice, layer. When you leave in the mornings on the buses, you can leave your extra stuff on the bus, but rain showers if predicted, probably will occur, usually short bursts.:) Evie

Two years ago, we were on an early October river cruise in Russia, St. Petersburg to Moscow. I wore a microfiber short jacket, which has been on more trips and cruises than I can count, and always perfect. It is light, yet water resistant, and with the aid of an umbrella, and shoes with closed toes, I was comfortable in the heavy rains in Moscow, and the drizzle in some other cities. I had a few knit pants, wrinkle free, and didn't take anything that required pressing after an excursion. What a great trip it was! Hope you have just as nice a time as we did.

How did you find the weather during your trip in October. I am looking at doing Moscow to St Petersburg, arriving on 2 Oct than traveling the river north to St Petersbur. Was cold and wind a problem or just be prepared. I would rather have cooler temperature than the possible heat of July. Also I hope to avoid the crowds of summer.

Our cruise was the reverse of yours - we went from St. Petersburg to Moscow, starting in early October. The weather in St. Petersburg was perfect - sunny, not too warm, sweater or jacket all you needed. As we cruised toward Moscow, we had some lovely sunny days, some drizzle, a nice day in Moscow, followed by heavy rain for our second day. I don't remember it being windy, but definitely cooler while we were in Red Square - so we spent some extra time in GUM department store with a hot coffee. I will spell the name wrong as I try to remember the most beautiful day of all - an island with a magnificent church, made entirely of wood (you probably know the name if you have been reading your catalog.) I was in the front of the boat, having a continental breakfast with classical music playing, quite early in the morning. Then coming out of the mist was this church, just as the sun broke through. So different from the splendors of St. Petersburg and Moscow - a glory all its own. I would say just remember your umbrella (I had two small ones, to carry in a handbag for my husband and me, and a plastic bag to store them in when we went indoors or on the bus) and closed shoes. But maybe you will have the good luck to have nothing but sun. Have a great time.

Archived