Please help me choose between...

Snorkel Dawg

...these two beaches. After looking at a St. Kitts map Cockleshell beach & Turtle Beach look pretty close to each other. If I have this right Cockleshell has Lion's Beach Bar & Turtle has the Reggae Beach Bar. Are there other beach type bars selling cocktails & food at either beach? Which of these beaches would be better to take my children snorkeling on? I have a 13 year & 9 year old. One is a pretty good swimmer & the other just OK (but currently taking lessons) Are the beaches about the same? Or is one more calm than the other? How are the currents? Is the food better at either of these beach bars? Might we eat fresh lobster at either?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, thank you very much in advance for any info you might pass along to me...

...these two beaches. After looking at a St. Kitts map Cockleshell beach & Turtle Beach look pretty close to each other. If I have this right Cockleshell has Lion's Beach Bar & Turtle has the Reggae Beach Bar. Are there other beach type bars selling cocktails & food at either beach? Which of these beaches would be better to take my children snorkeling on? I have a 13 year & 9 year old. One is a pretty good swimmer & the other just OK (but currently taking lessons) Are the beaches about the same? Or is one more calm than the other? How are the currents? Is the food better at either of these beach bars? Might we eat fresh lobster at either?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, thank you very much in advance for any info you might pass along to me...

Yes, Cockleshell and Turtle Beach are a short distance from each other by car.

Turtle Beach is currently closed and I've heard that it will be an upscale restaurant whenever they open....

Cockleshell is currently home to Lion's Beach Bar, home to his famous rum punch, delicious ribs, chicken and local veggies and friendly conversations.

Reggae Beach Bar is scheduled to open on Cockleshell sometime in October. The owner used to own the beach bar located at Turtle Beach http://www.turtlebeach1.com

I'm sure you will find the same delicious lobster and friendly staff as found at his beach bar on Turtle Beach.

From their menu at Turtle Beach:

Appetizers:

Honey Mustard Wings

Conch Chowder

Coconut Shrimp

Conch Spring Rolls

Lobster Sandwiches

Chicken Burgers

Chicken Roti

Pasta Salad

BBQ Chicken Wings

Fish Burger

Cheese Burger & French Fries

Entrees:

Fresh Grilled Island Fish

Spicy Shrimp Kebobs

Lobster Salad

Lobster in Garlice Lemon Butter Sauce

Shrimp in Garlic Butter Sauce

BBQ Ribs

Calypso Chicken Salad (Delicious!)

Grilled Fish Salad

Creole Chicken Leg

Chicken Roti Platter (Delicious!)

Veggie Platter

Desserts:

Banana Bread Pudding (A must!)

Banana Chocolate Chip Cake

Turtle Delight

Beer Selection:

Carib, Skol, Stag, Heineken, Carlsberg, Bud Light

Cocktails:

Strawberry Daiquiri

Mango Colada

Kahlua Colada

Banana Daiquiri

Margarita

Mud Slide

Brimley Gold

CSR & Ting

Reggae Beach Bar will also have a sports centre where you can rent kayaks, and a gift shop.

Cockleshell has breathtaking views of Nevis, an untracked beach, nice beach for taking long walks as it's located next to Banana Bay Beach, and has calm waters for swimming (located on the Caribbean). I've seen a few people snorkel here as well.

Cockleshell/Banana Bay is a popular spot for locals on Sundays. Lots of beach picnics.

I'm getting hurgey already. We are not visiting until March 08 so hopefully the new beach bar will be up & running by then. Liz, I thank you greatly for all the info you are sharing:)

The restaurant at Turtle Beach should be open by March! Then again we are talking about the Caribbean... LOL :)

The restaurant at Turtle Beach should be open by March! Then again we are talking about the Caribbean... LOL :)

I know everyting done at a more laid back pace, part of the reason I love the Caribbean. I really prefer not to visit some ritzy foriegn owned resturant, I rather like a beach hut/shack type place with cool drinks & some good food. Of course gotta have a lil shaded area a few tables & chairs too. I get all the atmosphere I need from the ocean, sand, & palm trees...sometimes less is MORE!

Liz do you live on St. Kitts? If so what do you do for living there?

I know everyting done at a more laid back pace, part of the reason I love the Caribbean. I really prefer not to visit some ritzy foreign owned resturant, I rather like a beach hut/shack type place with cool drinks & some good food. Of course gotta have a lil shaded area a few tables & chairs too. I get all the atmosphere I need from the ocean, sand, & palm trees...sometimes less is MORE!

Liz do you live on St. Kitts? If so what do you do for living there?

That is why I recommend Lion's Beach Bar and Reggae Beach Bar. They are owned by locals and have a very relaxed, casual atmosphere.

No, I don't live in St. Kitts. I'm in Canada, but go down every year. My father is a Kittian and I still have family down there.

That is why I'm addicted to St. Kitts! :)

Yo Liz,

What would make you leave St. Kitts for Canada? It gets pretty darn cold up there! Heck it gets cold enough here just outside Chicago. Maybe you can help me find a job on St. Kitts & I could move there!:)

Yo, Snorkel Dawg...

I was born in Canada. My father was born in St. Kitts and like other Kittians came to Canada for school.

If you want to move to St. Kitts, get in line.... :)

Hi Liz,

I don't mean to be nosy but what kind of school are you going to in Canada? Is there a feeling the colleges in Canada are better than US? I'm currently saving to send my children to college but it will be going to the local Jr. college first then to the local college in the town we live in NIU.

PS. Where does that line start to get into St. Kitts lol?

Archived