Does size matter?

cruisebore

As a Cruise addict I have tried all shapes and sizes and the fact that they are all different helps the experience not be too samey!The shame in a way is that small ships are now all quite old, no-one builds small ships anymore, so the facilities can't match up because most refits are only superficial.

As far as the child v adult debate goes, like all humanity there is good and bad in everyone.As a parent of 3 myself I have been on cruises where there have been badly behaved children, but usually young teenagers not younger children who, on the whole I believe, add something to a cruise.Seeing something through a child's eyes is better than some jaundiced views, which are quite common amongst the spoilt types on cruises. Certainly the worst behaviour I've witnessed on cruises has been demonstrated by adults who have had too much to drink or are just downright rude, especially to staff.Children (particularly younger ones) at least have an excuse that they are still learning about what is acceptable behaviour and what is not.I can't think of an excuse for the adults though....

I don't mind 'well behaved children' onboard but I don't think 2nd sitting which started later than usual as well - 8.45pm sit down for 9pm is the place to be for a 12 month old grizzly baby. Children can be talked to and calmed down - a baby can't.

Sue

I don't mind 'well behaved children' onboard but I don't think 2nd sitting which started later than usual as well - 8.45pm sit down for 9pm is the place to be for a 12 month old grizzly baby. Children can be talked to and calmed down - a baby can't.

Sue

I agree but again the stupidity was on the part of the adult not the child I'm sure the baby didn't choose 2nd sitting!I imagine it ruined the mother's holiday as well as yours!

Not wanting to sound ancient, but a few years ago a decree saying no child under 5(or maybe 7) at 2nd sitting would have been observed but not now.The attitude I've paid my money so rules don't apply to me, is all too common.

I agree but again the stupidity was on the part of the adult not the child I'm sure the baby didn't choose 2nd sitting!I imagine it ruined the mother's holiday as well as yours!

Not wanting to sound ancient, but a few years ago a decree saying no child under 5(or maybe 7) at 2nd sitting would have been observed but not now.The attitude I've paid my money so rules don't apply to me, is all too common.

Totally agree. She had choices too - creche/night nursey or use in -cabin telephone baby service.

Personally I would not take a baby on a cruise, its hard work, they don't enjoy it, and it spoilt the ambiance for all around. . It was only a 3nighter perhaps it would of been best left with grandparents. I have 2 children and we went self catering when they were babies in cottages or caravans, I didn't want to inflict my young children on every one else. But mums today want it all now. I understand that.

Sue

It is just not fair. Why has my perfectly innocent post relating to

the size of ships been hijacked by 'the kids on board lobby'

Cb

I agree, it is a disgrace, you should get some compensation.:mad:

Mind you the wheels were coming of the farm cart 3/4 days ago.:(

Are you to late to complain:(

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

It is just not fair. Why has my perfectly innocent post relating to

the size of ships been hijacked by 'the kids on board lobby'

Cb

You've got me banged to rights!Apologies.Though I've said I like both small and large I prefer the newer ships as long as they are not mega-sized(above 100,000) .Better facilities,better use of space (especially bathrooms!),more things to do.

Some don't ride the seas as well ,though.However, my worst experience for that was the apparently much-loved Braemar it pitched like crazy AND when we were sailing along the river to Amsterdam it had to go very slowly.We were in the Restuarant and the shuddering from the engines was so pronounced all our cutlery fell off!

Anything that delays my eating on a cruise should be considered a national disgrace!

• 3 weeks later...
I certainly think that you are right to suggest that as a rule of thumb MM, as long as you remember it can go wrong. We were aboard Aurora for 2 weeks from 8th June this year and had 165 youngsters for company :(

Andrew

Also to be remembered is that some youngsters who did (or didn't) sit GCSE's & A level's would have been out of school by then as well andrew and so might have made up some of the numers you encountered onboard.

Feebee_71:)

Archived