De Palm Snorkeling?

MAGNUM PI

I am interested in finding the best location, for snorkeling from a beach, at Aruba.

RCCL has an excursion to De Palm Island for snorkeling.

Does anyone have information as to the quality of the snorkeling there?

Or any other suggestions for snorkeling from a beach?

I have heard of late the quality of De Palm Island is not that great. For the money a much better value is to rent a car for the day and tour the island snorkel from the beaches on your own agenda and timeframe.

Info & Ideas for Snorkeling in Aruba

Touring on our Own + Snorkling

We did not like DePalm Island at all. The website makes it look fabulous, but it is small and the food was terrible (it's included as part of the price). The day we were there, the water was choppy, so snorkeling was nearly impossible. There were some colorful fish, especially the blue parrot fish, but they weren't enough to erase the rest of the disappointment!

The island is just off-shore from a huge electrical plant that is very visible. I didn't get any pictures of it (I wish I had....words cannot adequately describe it!). However, there are a few photos of the island here: http://family.webshots.com/album/558215864kiJaoh

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We went to The Palm Island about 7 years ago and it was our first time ever and we`ve been hooked on snorkeling ever since! Like the others said, the blue parrott fish are amazing! It`s a nice spot for beginners and kids because you're snorkleling right from the shore and if you get overwhelmed or swallow a bit of water, you can just stand up! I can see experienced snorkelers being bored. Now that we have become pretty experienced, I wouldn`t go back. The food was kind of bad as previously mentioned but that`s really not the reason you're there right! They had a crab race which was kind of fun for kids where they drop a bucket full of crabs in the middle of a circle and everybody stands around the perimetre, whoever gets a crab to reach him or her wins! the kids went wild for this! All and all it was good, but like I said experienced snorkelers will get bored easily!

Cheers!

Archived