Poor review of Amsterdam

btobey

My review of the Aug 3 Alaska Cruise on Amsterdam sums up my experience (and that of my DH). You may choose to toss mine out for being too much on the positive end of the spectrum and therefore not to be believed as well!! :p Since this was an Alaska itinerary at peak season (and with a verandah) it was not inexpensive...and because of that my expectations were high. As you can tell from my zealous review:D we were not disapointed!

Try not to worry too much....I tended to do the same thing as I counted the months for "my turn". The great comments made me feel so excited and the negatives made me wonder if we'd made a big mistake. It also made me all the more determined to post my own review after the cruise (which I did within a week of returning home). I tend to have a pretty positive outlook on life and I'm usually pretty grateful for the opportunities I have. A cruise, to me, rates up there pretty high in terms of special.

Plan to have a wonderful time on a fantastic ship with a great crew...I don't think you will be disappointed!

Holly

PS To the dad of the singer---sorry but I forgot your name--you should try to go on a cruise your daughter is performing on. I think the entertainers are top notch. You'd be proud!

We were on the Amsterdam in May/June thru the Panama Canal and we enjoyed everything about the ship. We did see one spotted rug going into the Exporation Lounge area that was not too nice, but other than that we found it to be very good.

Sounds like you went on the same trip we are going on next year; I would love to hear more about your experience!!! Feel free to email me directly...

Thanks to everyone else for your comments. I don't think we have ridiculous high expectations (although from everything we're heard about HAL, were are expecting a somewhat above average, elegant sailing experience), and we'ver never sailed HAL before, so we don't have a person bias; I just wanted to make sure that there was still general agreement that Amsterdam is a quality ship. :)

Iancal,

Your post is priceless. Do I like HAL? Yes, of course. Is it the holy grail? Heck, no.

Heather,

I agree with you that no one cruise can be 100% fantastic, nor 100% horrific. I toss out the A++ grades and the Fs, and look at the inbetweens and try to discern patterns. For instance, are numerous reviewers commenting on slow dining service or lukewarm food.

Roz

Roz, exactly right. When I see a pattern over and over of the same concerns from many different people, I pay attention. On the other hand, I also know there are people who will never find fault with HAL no matter what so I don't really count that extreme either.

Reviews are important, but in the end I can't remember a cruise I didn't have a wonderful time. Were they all perfect? Absolutely not. I love the people I meet on HAL, I love the itineraries and the staff are generally warm and friendly. We honestly don't need much more than that. Maybe because we cruised before Love Boat days and it was a very different experience.

For me just not having to make our bed or cook our food is pure heaven:) ... I don't need people grovelling at my feet, wouldn't even want it. And I have a little wear and tear on my furniture and rugs, too ............. it's okay:D .

I just read the review of the Amsterdam and have to admit that it mirrored my recent experience on the Prinsendam. (However, the Prinsendam is going in for a make-over so all worn out stuff is being torn out and replaced.)

Let me just say that the negatives did nothing to affect my enjoyment of the Prinsendam, or HAL, and I've booked two more cruises on HAL, including another one on the Prinsendam.

However, my cabin steward was one of the worst I've ever encountered. My bathroom was filthy with mildow pretty much on all of the tile; not just spots but entire sections. My hairdryer was being held together with a rubber band. I don't know about you but I don't handle anything held with rubber bands, particularly when wet. So, I went to the Pursar's Desk one night while I thought of it and requested a new hair dryer. This was at about 10:30PM. I was on the john at 11:30PM and being a single in the cabin, didn't bother to close the door when the cabin steward walked right into my cabin, hairdryer in hand. I did what any woman would do: I screamed and told him to get out. He kept on walking in, saying he was only there to replace the dryer, so I screamed some more and in no uncertain terms, told him to get out. I don't care what cruiseline you're on or if the steward knocks and doesn't get an answer but he doesn't walk in (unless it's an emergency) at that time of night without getting a positive response that it's OK to come in. This incident really shook me up and I reported it to the Pursar's Desk.

I also felt that the food wasn't that good. When you have a table of 8 with people from different places and ages, and NO ONE orders anything on the night's menu -- all ordering the steak or salmon -- you know that there's something wrong.

One other thing that happened is that we sailed from Amsterdam and I'd say that 70 - 75% of the passengers were Dutch. A lot of them. One of the first nights, they had herring on the appetizer menu. Our table was one of the last to be served and 5 people had ordered the herring (not me). We were told that the chef had miscalculated and that there wasn't enough herring but they'd make some up and serve it "shortly." Almost an HOUR later, when the tables around us were getting or finishing their entrees, we finally got our appetizers. No apology other than from the waiter. Then, as we were finishing our entree, the Maitre D came by and said that they would make a special herring dish for our table for the next night. Hello! What about those who didn't order the herring? There was no apology given at all. Just to those who ordered the herring.

I'm fully aware that there is no perfect cruise or cruiseline and I take the bad with the good. I crab but can really enjoy myself on any cruise. It's a matter of attitude.

I'm curious, Pam. Did you report the filthy room to the Purser's desk? Also, what category were you in? Does category make a difference?

We were in a mini-suite on the Royal Princess during a "Round the Horn" cruise in 2000 and had a filthy room. I asked for the curtains to be removed to be washed (they were). Our bathroom was mildewed, but I do not remember asking that it be cleaned. I never complained to the Purser's Desk (I was younger and less critical then).

What I did make a fuss about was being teased by a waiter because of my food allergies.

It was the worst cruise we have ever been on. If it happened today, the cruise line president would get a blistering letter about all of the things that were wrong. I feel that would be doing them a favor. It is important that people in high places know about poor upkeep of their expensive properties and bad service which will turn away customers. Nobody can afford to have a bad reputation.

Roberta

I just found a post this morning that will ease your fears about the Amsterdam: on Sep 22nd Foxpaw said:

WOW, what a grand ship!!! :D :D :D The ms Amsterdam is everything one would expect, and much more. She is, in my humble opinion, the finest of the Holland America ships; clean, elegant, rich, warm, cozy; the staff is stunningly helpful and friendly; the food has been PERFECT.

Doesn't that make you feel better?

I've started a Roll Call for our cruise, and so far there's just us from FL and a couple from CT on it. Come join us!

we sailed the amsterdam last dec thru the panama canal and loved it. we are on her again this dec 11 for a southern caribbean itinerary....

we had a great time last year, found the atmpshere and cleanliness of the ship just fine....and anything i dont have to prepare and clean up after usually tastes good, some better than others of course !

we ordered a fridge for the room.....and the only problem was that it took up the only outlet ! we prepared for this by bringing a power surge strip so the camera could get plugged in.....to recharge

we are looking forward to this year's cruise in Dec !!

Archived