Anything worth walking to in Belize?

grumpycajun

My family visited Belize this past January on the NCL Sun and we took the river cruise / Mayan ruins tour. I'm taking my father on the Spirit in February and I've pretty much decided to skip that excursion this time. We've already got plans for Roatan and Cozumel. Has anyone left the ship and just walked around for a while in Belize? First, is it safe? Second, is there any decent shopping close to port. My dad's never visited Belize before, so I hate to completely miss it, but we don't want to spend 7 hours on an excursion. Your suggestions are appreciated!

I've done this and didn't feel it to be in the least bit unsafe. There's certainly a lot of local colour within walking distance of the tender dock in Belize City. If you walk northwest from the dock, you will get to the bridge that takes you across the river. There's a market building on the other side, and then a number of interesting colonial era buildings along the shoreline. If you're interested, take a guidebook so that you know what's what.

I just got back from Belize. No I can not suggest you walk around. I took a trip to the Water cruise and Land rover. My sister and husband walked around and added 2 young 20 something girls with them for safety. It is not much to see that you could not buy at the tour village. They were hassled by some locals for money "for food" and saw a real big rat. They felt it was a culture experience but not a great one. My sister never gets too shocked. She rode the city bus in Ft. Lauderdale to a flea market and had a good day of that. There are short tours around the city by bus and guides. The price was about $25 per person but remember that is not firm. You can haggle a little--kindly. There are people all over the dock who are licenced to tour. HAPPY TRIP

We took the Calypso Train Tour of Belize City last Feb from NCL Sun. It wasn't offered on the ship but we found it on the pier. They do tours for the other cruise lines. Nice photo tour of the city and glad it was an open air tram. We had lots of people waving and saying hello or welcoming us to Belize. The rest of the city was nothing like the area around the pier. It was an hour long for about $25-30US. It was fun and quite informative. We didn't see much in the way of shopping so we walked to the National Museum after lunch. It's in an old prison and was very interesting as well. Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...

grumpycajun, Can you give me any info on the jungle river and mayan ruin tour Please? My mom a booked it and I have no idea what it is and if I would want to do it with her and my 10 and 12 year old kids. I will be on the Sun in a few weeks and I have done searches but to no avail. Thanks

Dbutterfly: on the website for your cruise, under "excrusions" there will be a listing. it should say what ruin the tour will go to. at 1 time you were asking about the tubing? are you now doing the tour to Lamanai?

if so go to the thread just down from this one...some of it is discussed. i have some website on the mayan ruins. it's like going to see the pyramids, only in a jungle. the boat tour goes down a river, with possible wildlife to see. even if you don't like history, it's still pretty cool!!!

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

My DH went on a horse riding excursion so I hired a taxi driver (female) to walk around the town with me. I had a wonderful time. My "guide" shooed away vendors and provided me terrific insight to the daily lives of the people, their eductional systems etc. I have some pics in the link by my name below to give you a sense of what it is like. If mobility is an issue I would suggest you not do this because the roads/sidewalks are not in great shape. Otherwise, it is different and I really enjoyed my tour.

Kathy:)

ah, that one:

Following a one-and-a-half-hour scenic drive, you arrive in the jungle, for your Mayan adventure and a brief orientation. You'll board an exciting safari ride and travel down a rainforest trail on your way to the river. Lie back on your tube and let the gentle current take you down the river. Keep a look out for iguanas, exotic birds and other wildlife living in the towering fig trees above. Stop for a refreshing dip in one of the river's crystal-clear swimming holes and emerge in the midst of an ancient Mayan tomb site, Hubelna, perched on a hill overlooking the river. Note: Participants must be at least 12 years of age and in good physical condition. Wear suitable footwear for wet, muddy and uneven surfaces.

here's what i found on another cruiseline, same excursion:

Jungle River Tubing & Mayan Ruins

Following a 1 1/2 hr. drive, lie back on your tube and let the current take you down the river. Stop for a dip in one of the swimming holes. Emerge in a Mayan tomb site, Hubelna, overlooking the river. Enjoy a tropical feast served in the heart of the jungle. All guests must be in good physical condition and should wear suitable footwear for wet, muddy and uneven surfaces. Bring along a change of clothing, use waterproof cameras, and apply sunscreen and insect repellant while on tour.

s.gif

s.gif

Depart from the seashore of Belize City on your motor coach and head west, where the landscape becomes mountainous and tiny villages dot the roadside. Following a 1hr. and 30 min. scenic drive, you arrive at Roaring River Adventure Tours, where your Safari, Jungle and Mayan adventure awaits. After a brief orientation, board an exciting safari ride and travel down a rainforest trail on your way to the Roaring River, whose head waters are the acclaimed 1000ft. falls.

Lie back on your tube and let the gentle current take you down the river. Imagine being encompassed by gigantic trees and vibrant foliage, including numerous species of orchids that thrive on the waters edge. Stop for a refreshing dip in one of the rivers crystal clear swimming holes. Emerge in the midst of an ancient Mayan tomb site, Hubelna, perched on a hill over-looking the river. Top off this amazing journey with a delicious tropical feast served in the heart of the jungle. NOTE: All guests must be at least 12 years old and in good physical condition to participate on this tour. It is highly recommended that your wear suitable footwear for wet, muddy and uneven surfaces. Bring along a change of clothing, use waterproof cameras, and apply sunscreen and insect repellant while on tour.

i can't find anything onHubelna? but 1 1/2 hours bus ride, each way? sounds like a long trip. the one i am doing is about as long, but it broken up by part bus/part boat.

Archived