The smell??

Dialemic

But Royal Caribbean ships have this certain scent. I keep all my cruise compasses in a accordian file and everytime I open that file I get a whiff of RCI and it either takes me back or makes me go plan another one.

I've always noticed that. You board the ship, walk inside, and take a deep breath, and then you know you're on vacation. I'm just amazed that ALL their ships smell the same - you would think there would be some variation.

It used to be called "ship's smell". Part of it usually is the fuel oil....

Steamships used to have it the strongest.... It used to be a mix of the fuel, the paint, floor wax, furntiture polish... you get the idea..

Today it is is most likely like some said a "hotel smell" with some diesel thrown in

Tom in Long Beach

The long stationary Queen Mary still has that smell...

Carpet smells probably have a combination of mold-fungus, bacteria, alcohol, dried food, vomit and dirt that with time penetrate from the carpet to the underlying pads. The carpets are routinely cleaned but odors that develop with time are covered up during cleaning using scented cleaning supplies that are identical throughout the fleet. Therefore the smells are similar in all ships. It is literally surface cleaning until carpets are eventually replaced.

To me cabins smell from the products used to clean the cabin, detergents-starch in linens, air from vents, if balcony cabin then odors brought into the cabin from outdoors (salt-oil), probably mold in the walls, bathroom odors from sinks-commode-floor drain, and again the carpet odors attempted to be covered up with scented cleaning supplies. Throw bacteria in there along with the mold. That is just the way it is. The older the ship same like a hotel the moldier the environment.

It's worth it all though because who sits around thinking about it unless your on a thread like this one day.:)

I know exactly what you mean about the smell. It's the "cruiseship" smell that Royal Caribbean has. I remember one time I smelled something and it reminded me of how it smelled in the Windjammer and I instantly thought of cruising. Sigh...

Carpet smells probably have a combination of mold-fungus, bacteria, alcohol, dried food, vomit and dirt that with time penetrate from the carpet to the underlying pads. The carpets are routinely cleaned but odors that develop with time are covered up during cleaning using scented cleaning supplies that are identical throughout the fleet. Therefore the smells are similar in all ships. It is literally surface cleaning until carpets are eventually replaced.

To me cabins smell from the products used to clean the cabin, detergents-starch in linens, air from vents, if balcony cabin then odors brought into the cabin from outdoors (salt-oil), probably mold in the walls, bathroom odors from sinks-commode-floor drain, and again the carpet odors attempted to be covered up with scented cleaning supplies. Throw bacteria in there along with the mold. That is just the way it is. The older the ship same like a hotel the moldier the environment.

It's worth it all though because who sits around thinking about it unless your on a thread like this one day.:)

Mmmmm thanks for that Laura......:(

I thank my lucky stars that Liberty is still an infant in her first year with not much time for all those delightful things to have taken hold in her ...

Mmmmm thanks for that Laura......:(

I thank my lucky stars that Liberty is still an infant in her first year with not much time for all those delightful things to have taken hold in her ...

Well.........we actually had an awful smell in our bathroom on the Liberty - OS:eek:

They tried twice and finally fixed it....and then it was fine and we were back to the "good" ship smell. We were firm but patient...these things happen.

Archived