Crown Bay to Red Hook (Ferry)

peterm

We have group of six heading to Red Hook marina. We would have a huge savings if we could take advantage of the "safari taxi stand" at crown bay. Do you have any input on how we would go about getting to this stand???

When you get off the ship, walk out the black iron gate and turn left. The safari taxi stand is at the end and it's pretty hard to miss since there will be a lot of other people there. One guy was acting as "dispatcher" and tell him you have six people going to Red Hook. He'll either tell you which safari taxi to get into or where to stand for the next empty one to pull up. We were there last week and it took 40 minutes to get to Red Hook. The cost was $11 per person. I didn't see any regular van type taxis at the safari taxi stand at Crown Bay, only the open air safari type taxis. These things hold about 20 people and the driver won't leave until the taxi is full, or almost full, so allow some extra time to sit there waiting (we sat in the safari taxi about 15 minutes while the driver was walking around looking for more people going to Red Hook).

Thanks Txgal. I was hoping to get information on the $2 ride. I guess I misunderstood what the safari taxi stand was. Anyone have information on a $2 ride from Crown Bay to Red Hook??

sadie8,

I thought the same thing. I thought I had read several post where they caught a safari (open air) taxi for $2 or $3pp. One stated the stand was across from a K Mart? Perhaps I am on information overlaod and confusing all my ports.

The problem is that the $11 taxis at the crown bay and the $2 taxis that run the main roads traversing the island, look the same.

Here is some info from ebonybee:

From the Ship: If wishing to exercise this option, you should leave the inside of the pier and take a right outside the pier gate. Taxi vendors inside the gate will try to prevent you from leaving, saying " I'm trying to give you a deal--folks outside the gate will try to take advantage of you." Don't listen continue walking. Travel about 3/8 of a mile until the road ends at a "Y" junction. You are currently on the long end of the "Y". It doesn't really matter which side of the "Y" you take--you will end at on the same road which is a main road where the " Safari buses" travel. Either side is less than a 1/8 mile walk. For landmarks, on one side of the "Y" is a KFC, the other side has has "Publix(sp)" supermarket. Just stand on the side of the road which is going south? toward Havensight or town. Don't be afraid to ask a local if you're not sure where to stand.

The bus looks just like a taxi. They run very, very, frequent. Cost was $1.00 to downtown and $2.00 to Sapphire Beach or Red Hook. We stayed on the same bus from pick up point to Sapphire. The bus off loads at top of hill and sign for Sapphire Beach. You will have to walk down a steep hill and remember also back up.

Here's a map of where to catch the taxis:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...03065,0.004554

Archived