Did I make a mistake- guarantee

Cruishappy@aol.com

Hi - Once again I am asking for input --- we have alwlays chosen our location and the suite of our preference --- however - for the first time we made our reservations for a guarantee P3 - and now I am wondering if that was the correct thing to do --- although we have cruised many times (85) we have never been visited by the Upgrade FAiry --- and was told that perhaps the reason was that we specifically picked exactly where we wanted to be ----do you think it was a good decision or perhaps I should call my TA and request a specific location --- I will be anxious to recieve any information that may be offered ==== Thank you

Hello,

Since there are only 4 P3 cabins on the QM2, there is a chance that you will be upgraded to a P2 or P1 grade cabin.

However, there is no bad P grade cabin. They are all on the same deck, they are all the same basic design with similar balconies, only the P3's are further forward (location).

Forward cabins are nice if you frequent the Commodore Club, but it's a long walk to the Princess Grill!

Enjoy your sailing!

Alan

Assuming the ship is the QM2 the answer above is right.

If it is the QE2 then you should be okay, but look for the worst located P3 and see if that is okay - if so, stick with it.

Upgrades to happen. I've had two, both of which I was very pleased with one occasions was the only times I've marked my booking for upgrade and the other was a guarantee which brought me the benefit of Britannia Club.

Matthew

Last year we booked a P3 guarantee on a QM2 cruise and we were moved to a P1 suite amidships. This year we booked a P2 guarantee on the Nov 30th cruise and again are moved to a P1 suite amidships. Hoping for a Queens Grill upgrade before the cruise but we should not be too greedy now.

Steve

I'd take the gamble if I were you. We booked at Q7 Guarantee for 20th Nov sailing on QM2 and have been given a Q5 in a good location. We're very happy - I must say the wait was agonising and we're really glad we didn't get a disabled cabin (which all the Q7's are). Again there were not very many Q7's so we felt it was worth the risk. Good luck, but make the decision that you are comfortable with. Once you get to the grills, I don't think you can really go wrong. Sue

I have a question about this concept of a guarantee. Did you request a "guarantee" at a specific level? When we booked, they assigned us a cabin, with no mention of a guarantee. Do you specifically leave it open ended?

I have a question about this concept of a guarantee. Did you request a "guarantee" at a specific level? When we booked, they assigned us a cabin, with no mention of a guarantee. Do you specifically leave it open ended?

I booked an A1 guarantee. That meant the lowest category I'd have was A1.

But the highest could be Q1. Unlikely though!

If you have a specific cabin, you can still be upgraded. Last December I booked a cracking deal on QE2 for the Winter Crossing - a really silly low price for a Q3 and managed to get 8183 on Sun Deck. The very next day I was upgraded to 8018 on the Signal Deck - which left me a very happy bunny, as you can imagine.

On the other hand, we're booked on a Signal Deck Q2 next trip. Because the next category up is QS, without a balcony, and without the Signal Deck staff who know us so well, I've marked the booking "no upgrade". I could miss out on an upgrade to Q1 if it were going, but the risk of coming off the Signal Deck isn't worth it.

There are just so many ways in which you can do it!

Matthew

We are looking into booking the QM2 for December in the B5 category (guarantee) -- this would be our first sailing on the QM2 - has anyone been in the B5 category (premium balcony statements w/obstructed view) and can you actually sit on the balcony?

We are looking into booking the QM2 for December in the B5 category (guarantee) -- this would be our first sailing on the QM2 - has anyone been in the B5 category (premium balcony statements w/obstructed view) and can you actually sit on the balcony?

Yes, you can sit on the balcony. It's a lot more sheltered than deck 12.

But the view isn't as good. The balcony and cabin is identical. Save for the dirty great lifeboat outside on the B5.

Matthew

I'd have no hesitation booking a B5 for a crossing when there is not a lot to see - but for a cruise I'd think twice - though you can see past the boats they do obstruct the view - they are also quite a bit away from the balcony rail - 6 - 8 feet - so you don't feel penned in.

Peter

Bearing in mind that Kindlychap has not actually SAILED in a obstructed balcony... and I have! for the money, I think they are fine. If you book far enough in advance, you can pick your cabin, and it is usually about $10.00 LESS than the guaranty! I will be in once again in one month.

The boats are probably ten feet out from the side of the ship, and you can look down over the promenade deck, or between the boats if you are so positioned. You get lots of daylight, and can, of course, see the sky.

the balconies are the EXACT same size as the A1s and AA cabins. I understand they have recently changed the furniture on the balconies to fir a bit better. It's more of a large reclining chair instead of a chaise lounge which sits a bit sideways. the hull balconies are bigger, because, of course, they are down lower, in the hull of the ship, not up on the super structure which is set in a bit from the width of the hull.

Here is a picture of one of the better positioned B5 cabins.

Remember too, when you are at a tender port, that boat may not be there at all!

Karie,

who will be cruising in another B5 in a month

1316983818_viewfrom8095.jpg.2096b157a5b9b486f73521e738e59cf7.jpg

842322139_sunfrombalcony8095.jpg.4d429b1ec8d00586cb49e85a3f8bc03a.jpg

Bearing in mind that Kindlychap has not actually SAILED in a obstructed balcony... and I have!

Bear in mind that Kindlychap has sat and drunk champagne on a B5 balcony and therefore has an opinion worth listening to.

Of course I couldn't possibly be right, and neither could Peter, who has been in one more than once, because we disagree with Karie.

Matthew

I hope I have answered you question, Quacky.

A B5 is a fine choice, if you do not have unlimited finances, (as I do not)

I wrote a much more detailed (and I think informative) post, but I seem to have lost it.

Go and enjoy, as I will be doing soon.

You can sit on the balcony, watch the sky. watch the waves peel away from the bow.

Enjoy it.

P.S. It's also fun watching them raise and lower the tenders from a front row seat! and I didn't think they were greasy or dirty- clean your glasses Matthew! <LOL>

Archived