Recommendation for Snorkeling on a Quiet Beach …Please!

lisa928

My husband and I are in our early thirties and will be on our third (NCL) cruise, this time 14-days from NYC to Miami leaving on 10/28. Over the past two cruises we have learned that we really did not enjoy the organized excursions, but rather catching a cab to a beach for snorkeling. Last time we did it ‘his’ way (i.e. grabbing a cab and asking the cabbie where the best place to go was) and this time we are doing it ‘my’ way (i.e. doing a little homework before, which is the reason I am here!).

Anyway, our cruise has eight stops (see itinerary below) and what I am looking for are suggestions of a quiet beach that is great for snorkeling, noting we have our own equipment! We are really big in saltwater fish with a 220-gallon tank containing fish, live coral, inverts, etc. With that said, we are interesting in seeing more than purple tangs, parrot fish, or chromis fish. I am looking for sharks or turtles, but would love to see a more variety of fish and some corals. (I know, one of these days we will get out scuba licenses). Oh, by the way, when I say quiet beach I would prefer some place without water sports, not a lot of people, and I could care less about amenities, but at the same time I would prefer not to be an hour away from the port.

Okay, I know that is a lot of info, but I am hoping the more detailed the more likely the recommendations will fit what we are looking for. Although this board is island specific, I am posting all our stops, in case someone else also familiar with one of our other stops, but I am also going to post in other appropriate boards.

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • Ocho Rios
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Lisa

My husband and I are in our early thirties and will be on our third (NCL) cruise, this time 14-days from NYC to Miami leaving on 10/28. Over the past two cruises we have learned that we really did not enjoy the organized excursions, but rather catching a cab to a beach for snorkeling. Last time we did it ‘his’ way (i.e. grabbing a cab and asking the cabbie where the best place to go was) and this time we are doing it ‘my’ way (i.e. doing a little homework before, which is the reason I am here!).

Anyway, our cruise has eight stops (see itinerary below) and what I am looking for are suggestions of a quiet beach that is great for snorkeling, noting we have our own equipment! We are really big in saltwater fish with a 220-gallon tank containing fish, live coral, inverts, etc. With that said, we are interesting in seeing more than purple tangs, parrot fish, or chromis fish. I am looking for sharks or turtles, but would love to see a more variety of fish and some corals. (I know, one of these days we will get out scuba licenses). Oh, by the way, when I say quiet beach I would prefer some place without water sports, not a lot of people, and I could care less about amenities, but at the same time I would prefer not to be an hour away from the port.

Okay, I know that is a lot of info, but I am hoping the more detailed the more likely the recommendations will fit what we are looking for. Although this board is island specific, I am posting all our stops, in case someone else also familiar with one of our other stops, but I am also going to post in other appropriate boards.

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • Ocho Rios
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Lisa

We keep salt water fish, too, and love finding great snorkeling. Your best bet on St. Thomas is to book a day sail - the operators take you to some great areas, or to go to someplace like Cinnamon Bay on St. John. if you carry your own gear, and rent a car on St. John, Waterlemon Cay is very good. Don't go if you don't have a car, though. It's the only place we've had difficulty catching a cab to get back to the ferry to get back to St. Thomas! Barbados has the best shore snorkeling at Folkstone, which is not a cruise visitor beach - in fact it's more of a grassy area frequented by locals or land visitors, right near the marine reserve. If you swim out far enough there you can see the turtles. In Grand Caymen your best bet is to use one of the private excursion operators. Years ago we used Captain Marvin, and had some absolutely marvelous snorkeling on that trip. In Cozumel we've snorkeled at Chankanaab and enjoyed it. In Curacao and Aruba we haven't found anything really good, St. Kitt's we didn't do any snorkeling at all, and we've never been to Ocho. From all my research on St. Kitt's, there didn't seem to be many snorkeling opportunities there.

On St. Thomas you might research Secret Harbor. It is a quiet resort with palm trees that shade right down to the water. As I recall the best snorkelling is to the left hand side of the harbor near the entrance. It is located on the east end of the island on ridge road. You have to go through the hotel lobby and beach bar to get to the beach. The day theat I went there was only four other people swimming in the entire harbor. Alternatively there is really super beach snorkeling at Coki Beach but there are the crowds too.

On Barbados the Folkstone nature preserve is a good place to snorkel off the shore. There isn't much beach here, just rocks. Not very touristy, I took a cab from the ship dock. Another option is the beach area just south of the port area. There is a small ship/tugboat sunk in shallow water there that has created a good habitat for a variety of fish. We did a snuba dive here (a long airline to a raft with a bottle of air shared by two or three of us). We could go a little deeper than snorkelling. This beach is very touristy.

On Aruba I had bad luck as rain the previous night had made the near shore water very murky. You can take a local bus out to the north end of the island and snorkle off the shore (mostly rocks). I took a cab out so the driver could point me to the best place but he didn't want to wait or come back because it was right by a bus stop. Another time I took an orgaized tour by boat that went out off-shore to a sunken German frieghter. It was really neat but too far to swim from shore.

On Grand Cayman I have swum with the stingrays at Stingray City. This is located on a sandbar in the middle of the big lagoon in the center of the island. You have to take a boat tour to get to it. Several other times I was there the sea was too rough for me to snorkel.

On Cozumel I like to take a taxi from the cruise ship dock to the State Park about 5 miles to the south. As I recall the taxi cost about $5 and there was a $7 entrance fee to the park a couple of years ago. The park is very nice and well landscaped. There is a fresh water shower/changing building, beach bar/cafe, equipment rental, and handicraft shopping. The snorkelling is right off the shore (rocky again). This is not a big tourist area but there were a lot of locals both times I've been there.

Hope this helps. --Jim

On St. Thomas I would recommend Godfrey Tours, Godfrey allows for 2 hours of beach time, 2 for shopping and 2 hours of touring the island for $25.00. Very professional and is truly excellent with his business.

St kitts is well known for its black sand beaches, I am to understand in St. Kitts Frigate Bay and White house bay is well know for snorkeling. We took a private tour of the island with Gray's Island Excursion, $30.00. Mr. Gray sets the tour with what you want to see.

Cruz da boat

• 2 weeks later...

For St Thomas, if you have time, I would 100% recommend going to St John for the day. Cinnamon Bay, Waterlemon (involves a drive and a hike) are great. Closer to the ferry dock is Salomon Bay--beautiful deserted beach with decent shore snorkeling--about a 15 minute hike from the road or rent a dinghy. Each time I have been to Salomon, we were the only people on the beach. Also, Hawksnest isn't bad. More crowded because it is the closest beach to the dock that is easily accessible but on more than one occasion, swam with huge sting rays that come in close to shore. St John is less developed, less crowded, and more beautiful than St Thomas IMO.

Cozumel, I would recommend snorkeling tour with Roswitha (islacozumel.com).

• 1 month later...

Yes we went to Folkstone. Very nice snorkeling (they have rentals if you do not have your own), but there is no beach. Well yes there is sand, but the water comes up to the rocks. It appeared to be a park, as there were a few police/security people there and even a life gaurd. So if you are looking to snorkel, yes it was very nice.

Archived