NWA Airlines

JerseyJT

I think Northwest is as good as any other major airline. We live in an area that we can fly out of Toledo or DTW. The new terminal in DTW is VERY NICE and efficient. I wouldn't knock them out of the running--if they have a good price--go for it.

Another thing to remember about those supposed "low cost" airlines, by the time you PAY for the seat assignment and you PAY for checking each bag, you may have just gotten the same fare as you would have on one of the majors. (think of 4 people going on a long cruise with 2 bags each..thats a lot of bucks)

I fly many miles each year and most of them are on NWA, but also use Delta, Continental, Alaska,sometimes UAL. NEVER American (another story) I have to say Northwest has always done right by me, in 35 years of business travel they have lost my bag ONCE, and that turned out to be KLM's fault. All the airlines have had problems at one time or another with service . Let me just say this....the nicer you are to them, the nicer they are to you, try it, it works.

If you are concerned with price, try looking at one of the websites like sidestep or kayak and see what you can find.

Come November, I will be relaxing in a business class seat from San Francisco to Venice and returning in business class from Lisbon to San Francisco all on miles that I have earned on Northwest...now thats the reward I look forward to.

My husband flies weekly on business - has premier elite status on NWA and elite on American/United.

To be very honest, there is not a great deal to choose between any of the major carriers!

He flies NW to the west coast almost every week - likes the fact that he can connect through Minneapolis or Detroit; gives him more flexibility. With United and American usually the connection is strictly through Chicago. Obviously that is because of where we live ..... choose which ever airline gives you the best price and fits your time schedule.

Again, NW has had some problems recently - but we have had fantastic flights, service, etc., we have also had terrible trips - I don't think you can win either way! Northwest also I believe is a partner airline with Delta and Continental (I think - I am going from memory), which can also help with schedule changes, delays, etc.

Biggest thing I would recommend to anyone cruising - fly in the day ahead of time!

Agreed - I fly out of GB as well (we live on the West side near Pamprin Park). I fly Northwest because they don't have the Chicago hub. Flying out of GB, you KNOW you'll have a connecting flight and I'll select Northwest through MPLS-STPL or Detroit over ORD any day of the week!

I live in the MSP area and have flown NWA pretty much exclusively my entire life, with the exception of just a few trips. Not once have I ever had a problem with my baggage (have had baggage issues on 2 other airlines). I know many people that work for NWA, and like any airline they have their good and their bad. I am a loyal NWA passenger and fly them as often as I can!

Yes they have their occasional schedule difficulties, but for anyone that follows the news, and not just what the media blows out of proportion, they were very proactive in the cancelling of flights in the past could of months and rebooked passengers accordingly. Most of the flights cancelled due to lack of available flight crew were cancelled one day or more in advance. Passengers didn't just show up to find their flight cancelled, unless they had been living under a rock. They do their best to accomodate you, which is all you can ask when you are at the mercy of another company to provide your transportation.

All airlines have scheduling difficulties due to weather and mechanical, and no airline is really better than the other in that regard as we can not control the weather or other problems that may occur. One thing that I always consider greatly when booking any airfaire is the "What If?" What if my flight is cancelled. Does the airline have another flight out that same day? Could they reroute me through another hub to get me to my destination? Do they have a flight out of or into a nearby destination that I could drive to/From? With NWA, the chances are pretty good, and it is highly likely that you will be accomodated. Be careful when booking on a low cost carrier that may only have 1 flight into and out of a destination daily. If you miss your flight, you may be hosed.

Also, as Onessa stated, be careful of where you connect through. Chicago and the NYC area both have very frequent, and often lengthy, delays that are completely out of the airlines control. Connecting through one of those cities could be an issue, depending on time of year. With the location of NWA hubs, you do not have those same traffic issues to deal with.

Yes, there is the occasional "rude" customer service agent or problems with the rebooking line, but the number of satisfied passengers far outweighs the dissatisfied passengers, but you only hear of the ones that complain.

Sure, NWA doesn't serve food any longer unless you are on a lengthy flight, but is it really that big of an issue? Take some snacks with you, or buy something in the airport and bring it onboard. It is guaranteed to be better than the typical airline food that was once dished out (unless you are up in First of course). I would book NWA in a heartbeat if the timing worked out appropriately to travel to my destination.

As for the FF mile question with an open jaw ticket on NWA, yes you can do it. I have done it on a number of occasions before and never had any problems. It was actually less miles for me to do an open jaw than to just fly round trip from either of my two cities.

As mentioned previously, EVERY airline has its problems. But the last time, I flew NWA, my scheduled departure time was 1205 PM. At noon, they finally told us that the pilots were in Virginia, and were in the process of flying to Detroit. We finally left Detroit at 5:30PM. No weather issues, just poor personnel management.

For my part, if there is another option, I'll fly with someone else, even if it is a few dollars more.

As mentioned previously, EVERY airline has its problems. But the last time, I flew NWA, my scheduled departure time was 1205 PM. At noon, they finally told us that the pilots were in Virginia, and were in the process of flying to Detroit. We finally left Detroit at 5:30PM. No weather issues, just poor personnel management.

For my part, if there is another option, I'll fly with someone else, even if it is a few dollars more.

Weather is only one of MANY issues that can cause flight delays. Poor personnel management most likely has nothing to do with it. Flight crews don't just leave late for the fun of it. A flight delay that you experience can be the result of a weather delay hours earlier on the other side of the country or a mechanical delay much earlier in the day, or even the day before. This can happen on ANY airline at ANY time. If one flight is delayed, it is not as simple as flipping a switch to get eveything back on time. This is not exclusive of NWA and has happened to me on other carriers too. It happens across all airlines.

As beckster42 said, the open jaw thing is totally possible, thats what we have and have had for most of our cruises. We almost never sail into the same port we leave out of ,so, we have been lucky with our mileage tkts on Northwest.

I would never fly Northwest again. We booked through RC and our return flight from Anchorage went through Minneapolis. Because of bad weather here on the east coast the flight was cancelled. We sat on the plan for a couple of hours before they finally cancelled. We were given a number to call to reschedule but we couldn't hear it. So we went to the agents at the gate that were suppposed to help.. The first agent said she was too busy and the second agent didn't know what she was doing. We eventually got ticketed for the next day, at 3pm. There were no hotels with vacancies so we spent the night in the airport. The NW employees gave no customer service. The were not apologetic not helpful.

We flew from BWI to VanCouver on United and had no problems at all. We actually arrived some what early. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Maybe its because they out sourced 70 plus stations and it was not true NWA employee you were dealing with. Maybe it was a $8.00 per hour contract worker that has no intrest in NWA and does not have a life long job and could careless. NWA put hundreds if employees on the street that did care. Next time you are in front of a agent if you can find one, ask them if they are a NWA employee or a contract employee and you will know what your dealing with. Hub and big stations are NWA small stations are contract vendors.

I live right outside of Detroit. I'm only around 30 minutes from the airport. We fly Northewest Airlines because it's the main carrier in Metro Airport. Our plane flights have been on time on most of our cruises. In July, I went on Liberty of the Seas and our northwest plane was actually early. I know that it's not always early, late or on time. It's the chance you take flying any airline. I understand Northwest was having some problems at the end of the month because pilot's hours were done. But, I didn't run into any of those problems.

I personally like Metro Airport but maybe it's because I live here. It's the most technologically advanced airport i've seen. I haven't seen a nicer airport either but I don't fly a lot. When I get back from Miami Airport, I see how wonderful Metro Aiport is. Fort Lauderdale Airport is much better than Miami but I still like Metro Airport the most. A lot of flights go out of Metro Airport and there are many connecting flights that go to Detroit. It's one of the most used airports in the United States. Make sure to keep your baggage's weight within the airline's limits. The last time I flew on Northwest, it was a 50 pound limit.

There are different problems with all airlines. I don't think one is better than the other. It's just a way to get from point a to point b. But, I understand the frustration and time it takes. It's better to try to avoid the crowd but sometimes you run into situations that you can't. Just relax and leave enough time between your plane flight and your cruise.

Run, run, run away as fast as you can!;)

I didn't even read anyone's posts - hate NWA with a passion.

We had a horrible experience with them 2 years ago - insufficient layover time, causing us to almost miss our connecting flight, mechanics going on strike the day we were leaving - the following year the flight attendants were threatening - this year the pilots were refusing to fly over their 90 (?) hours a month, so flights at the end of the month were being cancelled. Don't trust them, and will never fly with them again.

But, we have a choice. Others aren't so lucky.

BTW, I am not blaming anybody for the strikes. But when people have cruises and airfare booked, and then they are faced with losing everything due to a strike (insurance does not cover strikes), one doesn't look on the airline favourably.

We had a horrible experience with them 2 years ago - insufficient layover time, causing us to almost miss our connecting flight, mechanics going on strike the day we were leaving - the following year the flight attendants were threatening - this year the pilots were refusing to fly over their 90 (?) hours a month, so flights at the end of the month were being cancelled. Don't trust them, and will never fly with them again.

But, we have a choice. Others aren't so lucky.

BTW, I am not blaming anybody for the strikes. But when people have cruises and airfare booked, and then they are faced with losing everything due to a strike (insurance does not cover strikes), one doesn't look on the airline favourably.

First I've heard that insurance wouldn't cover a work stoppage -- guess I never looked, and it's never been brought up. Would that just be the cruise line insurance because THEY are afraid of a work stoppage, or all travel insurance -- seems bizarre if it's all insurance since they cover a flight not getting to the cruise because of weather.

I would have to agree on the rest of your post, however. Lots of things happening with worker issues which make them too undependable for me, also. BiL works for the government, and it uses NW -- he also calls them North worst.

You know a lot of the problems reported here have to do with flying through NWA hub airports... since you are flying direct or even non stop, that's not an issue. Everyone complains about airlines - it's easy to do. I personally have a strong loyalty to United, but there are many who complain bitterly about them. I have heard Southwest called Southworst so many times. Yet now that I live in a city where they are a major carrier, I have to fly them - and they have been great.

Follow the basic rules of air and cruise travel: it is always best to have a non stop; it is always best to fly out in the morning, as delays tend to pile up as the day goes on; it is always best (and should be mandatory) to fly in a day before your departure so even if the worst happens, you have time to make your cruise!

Follow those rules and it will be the very rare day indeed you do not make your cruise.

First I've heard that insurance wouldn't cover a work stoppage -- guess I never looked, and it's never been brought up. Would that just be the cruise line insurance because THEY are afraid of a work stoppage, or all travel insurance -- seems bizarre if it's all insurance since they cover a flight not getting to the cruise because of weather.

I would have to agree on the rest of your post, however. Lots of things happening with worker issues which make them too undependable for me, also. BiL works for the government, and it uses NW -- he also calls them North worst.

I had cruise insurance not with the cruiseline - the airline would have got me there eventually, but if I missed the cruise, I was SOL. I read the fineprint, and labour stopages were one of the many things that they wouldn't cover.

Everyone has their own idea of a "horror story" NWA is no better and no worse than any other major airline.

Archived