Balcony Sizes on Island

cls711

Hi All!

First, I have found these boards very informative over the past few years and appreciate all the hands on expertise here. Now for the question. My family is booked on the IP panama canal cruise in two Aloha deck balcony rooms on the rear bump out. The cabins have a connecting door but I understand the balconies are small and not covered. We can change to two bacony rooms on Emerald deck next door to each other and it appears the balconies are twice the size and covered. My thought is to go with the larger balconies and open the divider. My huband thinks we should stay on Aloha deck because "higher is better." Any thoughts would be helpful and opinions welcomed!

The balconies on Emerald at the back of the ship are much bigger. Click on the thumbnail picture below and you will be able to see the Emerald balconies (bottom deck) and Aloha (top deck, uncovered). The balconies on Emerald are much deeper. One other thing you might want to consider is that the back part of Aloha deck is also the children's area. If you have children with you that could be a plus, but otherwise it could be noisy. If your PC cruise is a long one there probably won't be many children--we had 2 on our 15 day cruise. Also keep in mind that if you should get into rough water there will be more movement the higher up you are.

1252932765_Coralbackbalconiessmall.jpg.d91b9bab550509f0c6ba12347166260f.jpg

As others have said, the higher up you are, the more you will feel any pitch or roll of the ship (physics!). After 12 cruises and some on rough water, we've learned to avoid the higher decks and try to get amidships like on Caribe or Dolphin. Furthermore, the Aloha Deck is right underneath a lot of activities, which you might not appreciate if you want to sleep in.:D

Archived