Yellow Fever Vaccination for Cartagena Excursion

jay44

The first ship this season scheduled to stop in on October 7th, the Coral Princess. I plan to watch the webcam that day to see if they actually stop or have another sea day.

How interesting. I think I will begin checking Coral's webcam from now on, until my cruise at the end of November.

Thanks again. Sis and I have now opted for a pirate ship excursion... get off cruise ship, walk 30 meters and get on pirate ship. Think that will be ok? Or should we just stay onboard?

hi

we are also looking into yellow fever as we will be on the island 3rd november.

According to the uk health travel sites no countries require a certificate for this tour, including Colombia for Cartegena. Even though its a yellow fever country.

However Aruba which is our next stop wants a certificate if any previous stops are in YF countries.

The paperwork received from princess states no vaccinations required, and from reading these boards it seems we probably won't even stop at cartegena.

So to summarise we still don't know what to do!!!

I am watching the current island & coral trips to see how they got on.

I Know a couple who got the yellow fever shot from a CDC recommended clinic in Walnut Creek, CA to travel on the Regal Princess from Puerto Rico to Manaus last year and they also went to the Brazilian consulate in San Francisco and got their Visa. The consulate accepted their Yellow Fever certificate and so did the Regal Princess boarding agents in San Juan. But, about 5 days into the cruise before they reached Devil's Island, they were called to the Purser's desk and told they would have to leave the ship in Trinidad. Their yellow fever vaccination record was not the International Form required, was not signed by the doctor(his stamp was on it) and the lot number of the serum was not on it.

They and about 16 others were put off the ship in Trinidad and had to pay their own way home. Insurance does not cover this, because all passengers are responsible for having their proper documentation, and shots etc. So a warning to all, be very careful and double check everything. Even the CDC recommended clinics do not always know the proper shot record to use.

So what does the "form" look like? I have the yellow vaccination book from the health department--is that what I need to have?

Just curious, considering I got the yf shot and am just trying to be prepared for any situation!

Thanks for the info!

VB1

Earl - we were told that the Hep A has a booster to be taken in 1 year, but that the actual timing isn't critical. The first Hep A is good for a shorter time, like 3 years (?) but the protection slowly wanes after 1 year. After the booster, the protection is supposed to be good for longer -- 5, 10 years but can't remember which.

Venus, the yellow vaccine folder is what we have/from the travel clinic just last month. It is just like we had for our child getting his inoculations for school. I think that is the certificate that is required.

Stay on a shore tour and enjoy the stop in Columbia.

It is a fascinating city and a great place to see.

Stop scaring yourself. Sure if you wander around alone or go out into the bushes you would be silly

But to stay on the ship and miss a great culture is nuts.

Columbia is making a big effort to bring the tourists back. Yes,you will see lots of soldiers. All the young men have to serve in the military. They station many of them in the city. We were told that the ones that volunteer often get city duty rather than the more dangerous countryside duty.

There are areas in our own metropolitian area that we would not venture in the daytime or nighttime.

And a young woman was abducted and killed not four miles from our home in a lovely suburb at a shopping mall in broad daylight.

Crime can happen anywhere. Or the option is to stay on the ship in every port.

tech, I agree with you! I think a traveler needs to be aware and informed of the dangers, and then proceed with caution. Why travel if you plan to stay on the ship while in port? I certainly do not plan on staying on the ship, but I am not going into the countryside on a small tour, either. We have a harbor tour planned and then we will decide what else to do based on the atmosphere.

It's true, bad things can and do happen anywhere; but they are more likely to happen in some places than others. It just takes awareness and common sense. Thanks for the post.

We have gone to Cartagena 2 times. The first time we took a city tour: It was great - up into the fort, beautiful Colonial homes to drive by, a short city walking tour where we saw a vista just like Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean !!(It was the model used). Then on to a very nice & cleal shopping area. We bought unmounted emeralds, cigars & coffee. All excellent - our jeweler couldn't believe the price we paid !

One thing about this trip, before we left the shopping, a lady fainted on the bus from the heat, the bus driver got off- went somewhere - and came back with 2 nurses!! They revived her and carried her off, she was on the ship when it left.

Our second trip, we took the jitney to the welcome area -a very nice shop and chairs outside and drinks to buy. We never left the port and like that, too. Don't stay on the ship.

At the times we went to Columbia we had no shots. But now we have YF & Hep A & Booster as we went to Africa & the Med this year. We're all set now.

Get the shot or you'll be nervous all the time if you don't. :p MaryAnn

• 3 months later...

We did the Panama Canal cruise that stopped at Cartagena - I was advised by my travel clinic that we didn't need YF jabs and we didn't have them. We had a marvellous tour in Cartagena and all was well. Cartagena is beautiful and well worth visiting.

You're welcome, Jay. Glad I could be of help.

As for your question about why Princess stops there ~ they haven't in the past few years. The port is again on the itinerary, but may still be skipped.

The first ship this season scheduled to stop in on October 7th, the Coral Princess. I plan to watch the webcam that day to see if they actually stop or have another sea day.

We just did in Oct on the island princess no problem I dont think anybody had vaccination at least nobody mention it.

For folks from the United States the best online source for determining what vaccines are required or recommended is the site located at www.cdc.gov/travel. There you can look up every place you plan to travel to determine what you might need. Also you can link to other information about recent disease outbreaks, how to protect yourself, warnings of political unrest, etc.

If you need immunizations, you should plan to contact a travel clinic about 2 months before you leave to assure you can get a timely appointment and have time to build immunity to the antigens.

Hepatitis A is a 2 dose series. After the first shot most people will have 90% immunity in about two weeks. The second dose is recommended 6-12 months after the first to build long-lasting protection.

Hepatitis B is a 3 dose series.

And, ....everyone should have a flu shot annually.

Probably the most important tip of all.....

Wash your hands! Alot!

Then go have fun!!

I will soon be travelling on the Coral Princess to the Panama Canal, one of the ports en-route is Caratagena. I have booked an excursion to climb a volcano and experience a volcanic mud bath at this port of call.:rolleyes:

However, on looking at what vaccinations are required for this cruise, it looks like I am going to need a yellow fever jab, just for this one stop.

At a cost of £50 for the vaccination, I'm wondering why Princess has not mentioned this anywhere in their cruise information.

Have any of you who have stopped in Cartagena for a few hours had the yellow fever vaccination?

Thank you.

Jay

The CDC recommends yellow fever vax, unless you are staying strictly within the cities of Bogota, Cartegena, Medellin or Cali. Apparently there is no requirement by the Colombian government, so Princess would not require any proof, since they really only list entry requirements. I don't know how far out in the country this tour goes, but I would encourage getting the vaccination. It is only very expensive, and very painful, but, hey, the soreness goes away in a week or so. LOL

So what does the "form" look like? I have the yellow vaccination book from the health department--is that what I need to have?

Just curious, considering I got the yf shot and am just trying to be prepared for any situation!

Thanks for the info!

VB1

It is the yellow booklet that says "International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis" in English and French on the cover

I saw a recent article (1/20/08?) that said the yellow fever vaccine was in short supply in most places due to a rush in Brazil to be vaccinated caused by a yellow fever outbreak. Plan way ahead. (And you need the yellow immunization card filled out showing you have the vaccination before you can get the visa for Brazil. I just went through that a month ago.)

Archived