Seeing penguins, seals, etc. at Puerto Madryn vs. Otway Sound

longduo

We are sailing on Oceania Insignia Jan. 10. They do not offer a tour to Magdalena Island. So, we have to decide where we can see penguins. I have seen some bad reviews of Otway Sound in Punta Arenas.....extremely windy and only 10 penguins!

In Puerto Madryn we have the choice of Punta Tombo or Peninsula Valdes. Has there anyone who has done both and can describe the difference? My husband leans toward Peninsula Valdes as we would see sea lions, seals, sea elephants, etc. in addition to penguins. Does anyone know if they would all be there in January? I know the whales will be gone by then. We'd love to hear from people who have gone to Peninsula Valdes.

Also I have seen folks recommend private tours so you can arrive at the sites before the cruise ship groups, but have also noted bus breakdowns and people arriving back to the ship with just 5 minutes to spare. We often book independent tours, but are not sure it would be a good idea in these remote locations.

We would appreciate any input. We're really excited about this cruise!

Longduo

I'm sorry that I can't help you with Puerto Madryn since our ship did not visit there. However, I would be one of the first in line to advise against Otway Sound in Punta Arenas. I was so looking forward to "Penguin Day" and thought it would be the highlight of the entire cruise. WRONG: it was extremely cold and windy (we were there in November) and there is a long walk over fairly rough terrain, all this to see a couple of penguins! Obviously the penguins were a lot smarter than we were and they stayed snug and warm in their burrows, while we wandered around like idiots freezing our tails off:D .

Also, if you are a contact wearer like I am then the wind is really going to make you miserable. I had to stop several times to take out one or other contact lens because the sand, blown up by the wind, was more than just irritating my eyes.

Heck, I saw way more Penguins at "Kelly Tarleton's Underwater Adventure" in Auckland than I did at Otway Bay.

Have a great cruise and good luck with your penguin hunt.

Valerie:)

Also, if you are a contact wearer like I am then the wind is really going to make you miserable. I had to stop several times to take out one or other contact lens because the sand, blown up by the wind, was more than just irritating my eyes.

Thanks so much for your message, Valerie. I DO wear contacts and that wind and sand combination would be awful! We'll look for penguins elsewhere.

Longduo

Thanks so much for your message, Valerie. I DO wear contacts and that wind and sand combination would be awful! We'll look for penguins elsewhere.

Longduo

Hi Longduo: I am so glad that I could give you a "Heads Up" on a problem that many people wouldn't think of. I was really miserable because my eyes were so sore and irritated by the wind/sand combinatiion. Red hot pokers in your eyes would just about describe how I felt that day:eek: , and quite honestly the "Penguin Experience" was jut not worth the pain.

Once again, have a great cruise and I hope that you get to see a whole lot of Penguins somewhere, just pass on Otway Sound for now;) .

And have a really nice day at Otway for penguin viewing as we did. It's probably the luck of the draw............

You didn't say when you were there - as in what month? It could be that Otway Sound is great for Penguin viewing during some months, but I would advise against trying your luck in November, based on personal experience.

Archived