Weather in October and Cruise air

boone2

I am on the verge of booking a surprise trip on the Tahitian Princess for October 2008, (for my DH significant birthday that he doesn't want to acknowledge)

I have been reading the boards to help with my decision and have noticed one allusion to the wet and humid weather at this time of the year. Can anyone else give me an idea of what to expect at this time of the year.

We have been quoted $1600 for flights from Buffalo, with Princess Air, we can't research other airlines yet as it is too early but does this sound reasonable. We never take cruise air and prefer our own arrangements, can anyone give me any idea of what non cruise air will cost say flying to LA andthen to Papeete

Many thanks Terry

w

Hello. I can't help you with the weather as I went to Tahiti in May but i am going back in November of this year and I undertand that the weather is usually perfect, every single day so I wouldnt worry about it.

as for the airline -- we flew on direct flights from JFK airport to Papeete for approximately $1200 per person round trip when we went in May.

For November, we are paying $1100 for LAX to Papeete and to get out to LAX we used frequent flyer miles. I booked the first time using travelocity and the second time through cheapoair.com

If you are in Buffalo, you might be able to fly to JFK on JetBlue for cheap and go to Papeete direct, depending on your dates, etc. We unfortunately could not fly direct this second time but I would have preferred that!

~Cathy

Terry - We're booked on the 10/10/08 cruise. Is that the one you're considering? We have a roll call started that discusses things like air fare and excursions, so please feel free to drop in and ask questions.

You don't have many choices flying into Tahiti, usually Air France and Air Tahiti Nui. We booked our air (then upgraded) through the cruise line and didn't pay an arm and leg for it (well, for the upgrade we did, but that 's another story). You can pretty much fly anything to LA, but after that you are limited. Coach is very, very tight in Air Tahiti. You are really squished. Air France is better, but more expensive.

The weather in Tahiti doesn't change much, although June - October is considered their winter and fall, so the humidity is a little lower and it rains a bit more. Bring a light windbreaker/jacket and you'll be fine at any time of the year. That's what makes it so wonderful! I'm originally from Vermont, so let's see. Think July - that's the way the weather is most every day in Tahiti. The rain is warm and usually brief. It is humid nearly all of the time, but no more so than summer in Buffalo.

Hope this helps a little.

Charlie

Thanks for your input, I think I will book it with cruise air for now and try and find better prices nearer the time. We are actually from Toronto but find flying out of Buffalo cheaper, especially as our dollar is so good at the moment!

I am thinking of booking the 20/10 as the one earlier is over our thanksgiving and kids will expect turkey!

Thanks again

Terry

What a nice surprise!! We too will be going for the first time this November, so unfortunately I can't help you with the weather question either-hopefully it won't be too bad.

As far as finding a good price, check out Costco if you are a member. We booked through them, and it was cheaper than anything else we found including expedia and travelocity. It is a pain however to sit on hold in order to speak with someone...sometimes up to 1/2 hr. Hopefully we won't have any problems and will have no need to call there, but I guess you pay for convienience. Air for us (from Minneapolis) including getting to LAX were ~$1300 per person. We did not do Princess air. Hope this helps!

You don't have many choices flying into Tahiti, usually Air France and Air Tahiti Nui. We booked our air (then upgraded) through the cruise line and didn't pay an arm and leg for it (well, for the upgrade we did, but that 's another story). You can pretty much fly anything to LA, but after that you are limited. Coach is very, very tight in Air Tahiti. You are really squished. Air France is better, but more expensive.

We have flown ATN 6 times in coach and do not find it cramped at all. The seat configuration is 2 - 4 - 2 so if you and your spouse get the 2 seats alone, there is plenty of room. JMHO but I wouldn't waste my money on business/first class. The service even in coach is excellent. Save your money and spend it in Tahiti.

I'm also interested in this cruise.... We just booked for 10/10/08. Will check out the roll call..... Nice to know this was available as the "compare cruises" page didn't show any cruises for the Tahitian in October 2008 and even Princess said there weren't any 2 1/2 months ago.... So we, my travel mates, were scrambling like crazy and sweating trying to do March or April..... So we're very excited to discover the October dates.... Now it's time to do lot's of research........:D

Cruzegirl - we will look for you over in the roll call. We've already started booking excursions.

Pacific Sandy - sorry should have explained that I have an extremely tall husband and coach isn't an option for him. Even the bulkhead are much too tight for him. Have heard that all service on the plane is great though.

Charlie

Ia orana

Teh weather in the Tahitian Summer Season ( Nov-March ) is the other eternal question comming back each years on the forums.

Keep in mind at first that being Summer season, the sun is aright above you and Hot and Humid qualifies that time best.

You are going to the tropics, those lush tropical foliage and flowers need the water. granted that you are purchasing that postcard with azure skies and turquoise waters, you have to consider athat at some point to another there might be some rain ( year long ) or clouds.

The say goes like : A day in the rainy season in Tahiti sees less water falling than during a day in the dry season in Hawaii.

Most important. remind yourself that you will be in FP!

Bon voyage

Meherio

Archived