POH questions

judyf

I still have a few question I haven't been able to find the ansers to. So I thought I would post them here first.

1) Dinner ressies, where for sure on the POH do you go as soon as you board to make ressies for the first two night? I've read a few different things.

2) What night is lobster night?

3) What time is sailaway? Where should we be to get the Lei I've read about? We're traveling with first timers and thought this sounded like fun.

4) Looking for directions and tips on dropping off luggage and rental car day of embarkation. Any tips? I read to drop off luggage first and then return car, is this the best way to do it, renting with Thrifty?

5) Show times? Especiall for the first 2 nights. Any shows not to miss?

6) hawaii port question, but I'm looking for direction to Richardson Beach after the VNP, if we have time to stop.

Thanks in advance for your help

1) Whenever I wanted to make reservations for dinner I went to the reception area. They have all of the menus for the different restaurants.

2) Don't remember which night was lobster night, but I do think it can change from week to week.

3) Sailaway is at 8 p.m. The festivities up on deck will start a little earlier. Last month we did not recieve a fresh flower lei. They were handing out those little shell leis at sailaway. I guess they have done away with the fresh flower ones....you may want to purchase one on shore before boarding.

4) can't help you here.

5)I cannot remember what kind of a show there was the first night. I am sure it was not anything special as most folks are up on deck or too pooped from traveling to worry about a show. The second night was a musical review and the show times were 7:30 and 9:30. I always enjoy the musical shows on NCL. Also, the magician on our POH cruise last month was a lot of fun...and he did several shows during the week.

6) Richardson's Beach is just down the road from the port. Just drive like you are going back to the ship and then keep going on that road for about another mile (?) or so. You will have a map from the car rental place...so you should have no trouble finding the beach.

I still have a few question I haven't been able to find the ansers to. So I thought I would post them here first.

1) Dinner ressies, where for sure on the POH do you go as soon as you board to make ressies for the first two night? I've read a few different things. You enter the ship thru the atrium and its at the reception desk in the atrium. Your room probably won't be ready yet so head there first thing. Each morning after that, you can call the desk to make resvs for the next night. I didn't have much luck with reservations as options were always too late for me to eat so I just did the buffet most nights.

2) What night is lobster night? I think lobster night was Weds but not sure. I didn't hear anything about it and thats the only night I didn't eat on the ship since I went to a luau in Lahaina.

3) What time is sailaway? Where should we be to get the Lei I've read about? We're traveling with first timers and thought this sounded like fun. The leis are given out at sailaway party at the pool deck. I think they start at 5pm but not sure. We were at the top front deck watching the sailaway and leis were all gone by the time we got to the pool area. They were flower leis.

4) Looking for directions and tips on dropping off luggage and rental car day of embarkation. Any tips? I read to drop off luggage first and then return car, is this the best way to do it, renting with Thrifty? Assuming you got airport rental?? Either way, both downtown & airport locations will take you to the pier for Thrifty. They help you with your bags on the shuttle with a $1 tip per bag so just do that.

5) Show times? Especiall for the first 2 nights. Any shows not to miss? I didn't see any ship shows so I can't help you there. I did karaoke every night and we had a special treat with a Craig Morgan concert for our 150+ group and special parties for our group.

6) hawaii port question, but I'm looking for direction to Richardson Beach after the VNP, if we have time to stop. Can't help you here either.

Thanks in advance for your help

Best I can give. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for the quick responses. They answered most of my questions. :)

Just need to find out which night is lobster night. I don't eat it myself but the couple we're going with does and this is their first cruise so I don't want to miss it for them.

Thanks for the tip on the Thrifty shuttle, that makes sense. I think I read somewhere to drop off your stuff first but sounds liike less work to just go with the shuttle.

Thanks

One more question I read something about TV ordering. Does anyone know about this? We are in a basic cabin not a suite.

I couldn't figure out how to do the tv ordering so I just called the reception desk whenever I needed something.

The best way to know for sure so you don't miss lobster is to get your daily newsletter that your room steward leaves in your cabin the evening before so you know what is happening the following day. Sometimes the room stewards aren't the best so I suggest you try to meet him/her first chance and & give them a little extra tip and they will take care of you. Let them know you HAVE to attend lobster dinner and they'll let you know when it is. My steward took care of anything I asked for. I gave her $10 the first day and left post it notes on my desk everyday with a smiley face and a "have a super day, we appreciate you" note to her. If I asked for anything else, I gave her another $5 wrapped around a mini kit-kat bar and she did a fine job taking care of us. We were in a regular inside cabin. Friends of ours were in a balcony and couldn't get service to save their lives so hunt your steward down if you need to so you know who they are and they know who you are. Good luck and have a super cruise.

I couldn't figure out how to do the tv ordering so I just called the reception desk whenever I needed something.

The best way to know for sure so you don't miss lobster is to get your daily newsletter that your room steward leaves in your cabin the evening before so you know what is happening the following day. Sometimes the room stewards aren't the best so I suggest you try to meet him/her first chance and & give them a little extra tip and they will take care of you. Let them know you HAVE to attend lobster dinner and they'll let you know when it is. My steward took care of anything I asked for. I gave her $10 the first day and left post it notes on my desk everyday with a smiley face and a "have a super day, we appreciate you" note to her. If I asked for anything else, I gave her another $5 wrapped around a mini kit-kat bar and she did a fine job taking care of us. We were in a regular inside cabin. Friends of ours were in a balcony and couldn't get service to save their lives so hunt your steward down if you need to so you know who they are and they know who you are. Good luck and have a super cruise.

I remember reading that in your review and thought it was a good idea.

Thanks for the tips.

If there's anything else please add them here:D We leave in 25 days time to get the itinerary finished. :D

• Administrators

Judy, I did reply with the detailed show information for POH from our July cruise in that thread over on the NCL board a few days ago -- wasn't sure you saw it -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=629153&highlight=POH+shows

Lobster night on our cruise was the night we left Maui (the night before Kona). This was also "dress up if you want" night and the night of the Latitudes party for prior guests.

We were able to order our room service breakfast off the TV -- it was fairly self-explanatory and I didn't even need SO to help me figure out how to use the remote to do it! :)

Thanks for the quick responses. They answered most of my questions. :)

Just need to find out which night is lobster night. I don't eat it myself but the couple we're going with does and this is their first cruise so I don't want to miss it for them.

On my POH cruise (4/30/07), lobster night was Thursday night (the night that you depart Maui). I don't know if it's always that day, or if it changes.

• Administrators

It occurred to me it might be nice to have this info, and not just a link to it, here on the Hawaii board, so I cut and pasted the POH show info:

The evening show schedule during our cruise (July '07) -- it may have changed already, may change tomorrow, check your Daily for current information, tag, tax and title not included -- oh wait, enough disclaimers! :) Here's what we had; hopefully it will give you some idea:

Monday (Embarkation) Welcome Aboard Show, Stardust, 8:45 PM

Tuesday (Hilo) Soul Rockin' Nights, Stardust, 7:30 PM AND 9:30 PM

Wednesday (Maui overnight) Comedy of Jeff Harms, Stardust, 9:15 PM

Thursday (Maui) Elements of Illusion, Stardust, 7:30 PM AND 9:30 PM

Friday (Kona) On Broadway, Stardust, 7:30 PM AND 9:30 PM

Saturday (Kauai overnight) Crew Show/Fountains, Stardust, 8:30 PM; Not-So-Newlywed Game, Stardust, 9:30 PM

Sunday (Kauai) -- for some reason I can't find this Daily. I seem to remember one show only, though, around 8:00 to allow for packing time

Thanks Michelle, I don't get to scan the NCL board as much as this one. Work keeps getting in the way. I did miss that post. Thanks for posting, helps to decide what time to make dinner ressies.

Just a heads up.....I looked at our Freestyle Dailies and the show schedule for our POH cruise at the end of August was different. The big production shows were the same nights at 7:30 and 9:30. However, the other evenings the entertainment and times were different. I am sure this depends on who is entertaining and what nights they are on the ship. So, just be prepared to be a little flexible. And, have fun!!

Hi Judy!! I almost didn't recognize you...you changed your picture!:D I can't wait to hear about your trip...though I think I will have to wait until I get back, as we are leaving out November 9th for our pre-cruise stay. I will keep an eye out for you just in case you drop a line or two about your cruise!! I will try hard not to bombard you with questions if you show before my departure!! LOL:p

Letha

Hi Judy!! I almost didn't recognize you...you changed your picture!:D I can't wait to hear about your trip...though I think I will have to wait until I get back, as we are leaving out November 9th for our pre-cruise stay. I will keep an eye out for you just in case you drop a line or two about your cruise!! I will try hard not to bombard you with questions if you show before my departure!! LOL:p

Letha

Yeah, I did change my picture. We return on 11/6 in the afternoon even though we leave at 10:45 pm on the 5th :eek: And it's a non stop flight. Coming back is the worst.

I do need to report to work on 11/7 :mad: Hope I'm not tooo tried to post but just in case.

Please feel free to e-mail me autumnsam at aol dot com on 11/6 with some of your questions and I will get back to you before you leave on Friday!

I'm getting excited but also concerned as I have so much to do before we leave.

Archived