what to do on San Blas Islands

barbarag

We have a port stop (Nov. 23 sailing of Oceania Insignia) at the San Blas Islands and since we know very little (really nothing) about them does anyone have any suggestions of what to do while in port. We do love to snorkel if anyone knows of a good beach. Also, I have heard it is a malaria prone area. Since we will not be there at night, do we need anti-malaria drugs? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Barbarag

• 3 weeks later...

Don't worry about what to do at San Blas. There's really only one thing to do and that's shop. You will take a tender to the island, and it's basically a bunch of shacks that the San Blas Indians will be sitting in front of. They will sell you their handcrafted items, mostly, molas. Some are quite beautiful, but since they are made with donated cloth, you have to be careful (at least IMHO) to get molas that are all cotton, not polyester. They are a very poor people, and it won't take you very long to look around and return to the ship. I wouldn't try swimming, the water looked filthy to me, last time I was there.

Unfortunately, we are wearing off on these folks, and it no longer has the charm it used to, but they are a very interesting people.

If your ship stops in Columbia, you can sometimes find molas there too.

Here is our experience in San Blas: the tender took us to the island. There were numerous vendors selling their wares, molas, jewelry etc.

We then took a tour to one of the villages. We went on a dug-out canoe and went to a village. It was interesting. First, we viewed their only "out-house", and noticed the color of the water below, as the out-house empties right into the ocean.

The locals were anxious for our business, purchasing of hand made goods. If you want to take a picture of any of them, be aware that you should pay them, $1.00, or more.

There was a museum on the island, and a meeting hall. Homes are very primative. It was a good experience to see how they exist.

I did purchase a molla, and that was about it. You will see moms bathing their little ones, but mostly for the $ they will come after you for taking their picture!

We did enjoy the excursion.

Archived