?s about QM2, etc.

kent4489

First, thanks in advance for advice! I know there's a lot of information here as I've read several threads...and have a lot more to read. We've only been on 2 cruises (HAL), so not too cruise savvy.

DH and I are thinking of taking the QM2 next July to celebrate my (50th) birthday...(ugh, when did that happen?) It would be the Independence Day Getaway (from NY, to Boston, Bar Harbor and Halifax). I would appreciate advice on cabins, dress, etc. this is a 6 nt. cruise... will there be more than one formal night, or any? (Hope so!) While the top suites would be wonderful, we're thinking on a smaller budget. (On our last cruise, we were upgraded to a full size suite and could get used to that!) I'm not sure I understand the cabin levels, amenities, dining arrangements, etc. Which cabins would still be nice at lower rates? (We would like a balcony.) Are the rates listed on Cunards website pretty standard or is it possible to get better rates? Is it allowed on the board to recommend a travel agent? If so, I would appreciate input on that. Or, can I book directly with Cunard...would I want to? Any input on the itinerary? The timing works perfectly for us.

Again, thanks... I'm sure I'll have more ?s, but this will help me get started.

If you enjoyed your cruises on HAL, you will enjoy QM2. Both lines offer sophisticated voyages with good intellectual enrichment programs. QM2 is, of course, much larger than the HAL ships. However, Cunard has limited the number of passengers so that you do not get the feeling of being overcrowded.

Rather than summarize QM2, I will point you toward my website where I have a virtual (photos & commentary) tour of the ship, menus, a daily program and various articles that I have written about the ship. http://www.beyondships.com/QM2.html I hope this will give you a feel for the ship, which I regard as a truly great ship.

On the last short cruise to Canada (Labor Day), there were two formal nights. There might be more on your cruise as the last one was only four nights. Formal nights are a vital part of the Cunard experience.

You will almost always do better booking through a travel agent than through the cruise line. The cruise lines view travel agents as vital to their marketing effort and do not want to offend them. Thus, they are very reluctant to undercut them. The prices the different agents offer varies widely and thus to get the best price you should shop around. The internet is particularly useful for getting the best price.

As for the itinerary, all three are nice ports. The ship will dock in Halifax and in Boston. In Bar Harbor, it will be tenders - - a nice boat ride if the sun is shining.

In Halifax, one can easily walk along the boardwalk to the center of town. There are also taxis. The town is very anxious to promote tourism. There are a number of interesting sites including the citadel, a Victorian fortress overlooking the town with re-enactments, and the Martitime Museum of the Atlantic. There are also scenic places such as Peggy's Cove, a classic fishing village with lighthouse, that are outside of town. It should also be cooler there than in NY at that time of year.

In Boston, the cruise ship terminal is pretty far from anything you would want to see and so you will have to rely on taxis or the shuttle bus that Cunard usually runs from the terminal to the center of town. In fact, the terminal is near the airport and the jets taking off and landing fly low over the ship. Of course, Boston is a major city with lots to see.

Bar Harbor is a small New England town. Its attraction is its great natural beauty.

Of course, there are also a variety of shore excursions offered by the ship in the various ports.

This cruise should give you a good feel for QM2 in cruising mode. QM2 does very well acting as a cruise ship. However, to see the ship at her best, you really have to do a transatlantic crossing.

I'm going to put my normal plug in for AA grade. Yes - it's more expensive that Britannia, but I am convinced that the grade is the best value on the ship.

Click on "Reflections on Queen Mary 2" in my signature for more details. It's not really a review, but the thoughts of a man who thought that there could be no other ship than Queen Elizabeth 2.

Matthew

Archived