Ventura Brochure Error - Can't have what we booked!!!

K8T

I don't know if anyone else has been on the receipt of a similar letter and would welcome any comments.

We booked on the Ventura for end of May next year specficially booking a cabin which had a sofa bed (we have a three year old who we don't think is safe in bunk), only to receive a letter last week telling us there was an error in the brochure and the cabin we have been allocated (that has two stars in the brochure indicating a sofa bed and one upper pullman), has only two upper pullman berths and apologies for any inconvenience!

Having spoken to P&O they have told us that there is now no availablility on this cruise to change to a similar cabin and we can cancel (they will as a gesture of goodwill waiver a cancellation fee!), or can upgrade to a mini suite (extra £2,800!).

Bearing in mind we booked on the second day of the bookings opening, in April, (the first day was engaged and the website had crashed with the number of people using it), I think that it is a bit late now to be telling us of an error, when we have no options to change cabins.

I don't want to cancel, or change to another ship, as our daughter is really looking forward to seeing Noddy and the dates suit us. I would say that one of us would sleep on the upper berth, but we booked last minute recently and did this and it was horrendous and that was only for a week!! :mad:

I also notice that the brochure with the wrong information is still the one available in Travel Agents.

I am going to write a letter myself, but wondered if anyone else has had similar happen to them and the outcome.

Thanks

Kate

I'm sure this happened to somebody who is a member on the Crows Nest site. They ended up having to pay to upgrade.

It is a bit off when you book early for this sort of mistake to happen.Would P&O let you book another cabin at the price it was when you made your original booking.

We have also recieved this letter. I am not really concerned because our son is older. But, as you say it is very annoying when you have booked and there are alterations.

I agree, if Lottie was older, I wouldn't care, in fact I am sure she would be very happy to be up there, but she was only three last week and still falls out of bed!!! It would mean one of us has to sleep up the top. We recently went on a last minute week cruise on the Oriana and we had an upper and my other half slept up there, but I can't say he enjoyed the experience!!! Certainly not for two weeks!

Interesting the other couple upgraded, they have told us nothing else available apart from the mini suite!! Where is the Crows Nest site? Is it on P&O, as it never seems to allow me to log in on it.

Kate

I don't know if anyone else has been on the receipt of a similar letter and would welcome any comments.

We booked on the Ventura for end of May next year specficially booking a cabin which had a sofa bed (we have a three year old who we don't think is safe in bunk), only to receive a letter last week telling us there was an error in the brochure and the cabin we have been allocated (that has two stars in the brochure indicating a sofa bed and one upper pullman), has only two upper pullman berths and apologies for any inconvenience!

Having spoken to P&O they have told us that there is now no availablility on this cruise to change to a similar cabin and we can cancel (they will as a gesture of goodwill waiver a cancellation fee!), or can upgrade to a mini suite (extra £2,800!).

Bearing in mind we booked on the second day of the bookings opening, in April, (the first day was engaged and the website had crashed with the number of people using it), I think that it is a bit late now to be telling us of an error, when we have no options to change cabins.

I don't want to cancel, or change to another ship, as our daughter is really looking forward to seeing Noddy and the dates suit us. I would say that one of us would sleep on the upper berth, but we booked last minute recently and did this and it was horrendous and that was only for a week!! :mad:

I also notice that the brochure with the wrong information is still the one available in Travel Agents.

I am going to write a letter myself, but wondered if anyone else has had similar happen to them and the outcome.

Thanks

Kate

Hi Kate,

Do any of the cabins in your category have the sofa bed or is it just your section?:confused:. Could they not suggest a swap with a couple who do not need the extra bed?:confused:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Hi Kate,

Do any of the cabins in your category have the sofa bed or is it just your section?:confused:. Could they not suggest a swap with a couple who do not need the extra bed?:confused:

I don't think so, I think all the rooms that they were expecting to have sofa beds in haven't. I have looked on the website and they now all say Upper Pullmans, so it would appear only mini suites have a sofa bed.

I rang asking the question what rooms have sofa beds and this was confirmed, only mini suites as there has been a change by the designers she did say that this was only on Ventura, other P&O ships had sofa beds in most of their mid grade cabins. At £700 each extra to upgrade, this just isn't an option for us, apart from the fact that our daughter is looking forward to the 'Noddy ship'!

I think they may have made a big mistake, only having pullmans, especially on a ship that is supposed to be child friendly. Once children are over five, they probably enjoy being on a bunk, but that age group from cot to bed is when the parents are going to have to be in the bunk. Personally I don't like sitting up and hitting my head and to be a bit more blunt, I want to sleep with my other half when I am on holiday!!!! (mind you, I might get a better nights sleep without him!!!!:eek: )

Kate

Hi very sorry to hear about your experience though you mentioned the website I wondered if you booked direct or through an agent?If an agent try to get them to negotiate a deal on your behalf.If not I would suggest that they at least meet you half way and reduce the cost of the upgrade.

I guess the main issue here is that as a new ship they will be close to sold out if it was the Oriana or simliar on a normal(underbooked) voyage they would probably have offered a free or very cheap upgrade.

This is not good customer service though.

If you make a mistake which P& O have,they should compensate you properly.It's almost like it's your fault for having a young child?isn't that who Ventura is supposed to be aimed at???

I agree with you Philhar, I feel that because we have a child we are being compromised, yet we booked it because of the very fact of it being targeted to children!

We booked through an independent Travel Agent, who is actually a related business to ours, so tehnically it is family!! Thankfully it has happened to us and not to a client, as it is not the sort of service you want to provide.

We have tried all ways and of course we will compromise if we have to I suppose, but not without trying first to get some solution:mad:

I am sure we can't be the only ones in this situation.

Kate

I agree with you Philhar, I feel that because we have a child we are being compromised, yet we booked it because of the very fact of it being targeted to children!

We booked through an independent Travel Agent, who is actually a related business to ours, so tehnically it is family!! Thankfully it has happened to us and not to a client, as it is not the sort of service you want to provide.

We have tried all ways and of course we will compromise if we have to I suppose, but not without trying first to get some solution:mad:

I am sure we can't be the only ones in this situation.

Kate

Hi Kate, no you are not the only one. I recieved a letter today too.

I am taking my two kids 5 and 7. I rang PO earlier to ask if they would offer me any freebies that might prevent me cancelling and thay said no only the refund of my deposit!

I am not totally bothered and will probably keep my booking.I have until March to decide.

Last year we removed the matress from the bunk and put it on the floor between the beds for my youngest daughter, as i felt uneasy about her being up so high! indeed i thought that there was a policy that children under 6 were not allowed in bunks.I like you, would like for my husband and i to sleep together but having 2 often puts paid to that with the seperated bed policy when 2 pullmans are being used anyway.

I'm sure that if you decide to go it will be great and that with alittle imagination you could sort out the sleeping arrangments...........but it is a pain and i think we should be offered a complimentry round the world cruise as compensation.......................ahh i wish:D :D

Hi Loobylou

Complimentary cruise!!!! Is that a Pig I see flying outside my window?:D

Well I thought about most ways around it, but not taking the matress off the bed! (very inventive!). I did suggest in my letter perhaps they could supply a 'put up' bed, like a zed bed or similar and that would be acceptable. In fact that may be a way to sort out the problem of that in-between age group. They could keep some spare on board. Having said that, I still feel very miffed that we haven't got what we booked for.

Waiving the child fare may make me feel a bit happier, especially if she is sleeping on the floor, but its not really what one expects from P&O and not a good start for their new ship!

My letter has been faxed, although I don't hold out much hope. I will keep you posted.

Kate

When I worked in a nursing home we used collaspable bed rails to prevent people falling out of bed. You put it under the mattress and it sits upright. I am sure they would have them in mothercare. I do not know how expensive they are, but if it is the difference betwee a good nights sleep or not.

Hope this helps a bit.

"I did suggest in my letter perhaps they could supply a 'put up' bed, like a zed bed or similar "

I noticed the Oriana with Z beds outside a few cabins last New Year's cruise.

Surely they could provide this for you on the ventura!

Caryl

I know the lady in question who had the same problem, and had to pay thousands extra,on CC/CROWS NEST I'll email her your opening post at the top of the thread and see what she says, not sure if she comes on here, but will come back to you

Sue

• 3 weeks later...

We booked as a family last April for Christmas Caribbean. We have 2 balcony cabins and 2 inside cabins(for 4) My son is in an inside cabin which was recommended because of childen who will be 2y7months and 6 years. The 6y is disabled but can walk but unable to climb as yet. had a letter re sofa beds from P&O explaing the error, as the cruise is almost fully booked there is not much that can be done.The only option are bed rails which we have ordered and Iam assured these will be ok, hopefully.

Thanks

Kate

Hi

We too have had the same letter. But as we are taking our 2 grandaughters aged 10 & 12 the bunks will suit better. But to help your cause I will put in a letter of complaint. I would keep up your complaint do not accept their first offer they should try to accomodate your three year old safely - insist they provide some of the safety rails that you can buy in Mothercare and insist on being put on the upgrade list for a mini suite. They are not giving you what you booked (unfair advertising !!)and as such should offer some compensation or a special rate on the mini suite. Ventura is advertised as a family ship and as such should ensure that chldrens safety comes first. Good luck it is always worth the effort of another stronger letter. I have complained before but about different things and have always got an offer of compensation which has always been increased if I presist.

Hi

Well we have finally received a reply to my letter - it only took four weeks and several phone calls.

Basically we have been informed that there is nothing they can do, they cannot offer any form of recompense and the only option is £800 each upgrade to a mini suite, which is the only accommodation on Ventura that has three lower berths. We offered to split the difference on the upgrade, but this isn't an option either. Basically it is accept it or cancel.

I have also been told that due to safety reasons we cannot have a small bed, or a cot and that we can still cancel without them levying a cancellation charge (how magnaminous) However we have to let them know our intentions in 10 days time (they have given a date!). Having taken four weeks to reply, I am incensed they then give us a timescale!

I did phone the person who wrote the letter, amazingly I stayed calm and was told that there was nothing they could do. However, when I asked about a matress on the floor he said that he couldn't advise, suggest or condone it, but he knows it has been done in the past.

I also questioned about not having a small bed, afterall the room is supposed to accommodate a cot and he said that and get this......'they were not sure yet the rooms would be able to accommodate a cot!!!'.

Apparently, they have had some cots specially made to fit in the rooms, which have been tested on the Princess line, but until someone can physically take one to the ship, when it is ready and try it in the room, (between the foot of the bed and the wall), they do not know if it will be possible and won't be in a position to do this until January!

Needless to say I was speechless and asked what happens if it doesn't and he said they will be repeating this exercise in January, giving those booked the option to cancel or transfer. However, he was hopeful it would be OK.

It sounds a complete 'c--k up' to me and we are still undecided what to do. I don't think I can bear being in a bunk for two weeks and my partner is none to happy either.

I appreciate what you say about bars, but I still don't fancy her being up that high, whether she has bars or not. I think our only option is to change to another ship, or she is on the floor.

Well we have 10 days to decide - it seems that when you book something, it doesn't mean you are going to get it! and they can take over five months to let you know.

I just don't look forward to telling my daughter, that she won't be going 'on the big boat' with Noddy now!

I think P&O are losing the plot, but then that is probably another thread.

I am gutted, disappointed, let down and could cry about this. :(

Kate

I would write again stating that you wish to make an official complaint stressing how this is the holiday that you wanted and it is not your fault that they wrongly advertised the cabin.It is not conveineint for you to re-book at another time. Stress that your daughters safety should be their priorioty and they should provide you with a cabin of the same grade or higher that will take a cot/small bed. You should not have to resort to taking the mattress of the bunk each night for her to sleep on the floor. Tell them that your are sending a copy of the letter to trading standards and the department which is responsible for the safety certificates for the cruise ships (presume there must be one you will have to research). Offer again as a compromise to settle for the mini-suite at half price but maybe save this until you receive next reply. You booked your holiday in good faith and they are failing to provide what they advertised -technically a breach of contract. The ten day deadline is not acceptable. Finish your letter by requesting a copy of their complaints procedure.

Hi there

Thanks for that ligortiq, how come it sounds so good when you put it like that.

Last night we had a good chat about it and had practically decided to cancel and kick P&O into touch forever and look at the Disney Ship or another line, but we had also thought about writing again.

Reading your post has made me decide to do it, nothing ventured (sorry no pun intended), nothing gained and I will also copy in ABTA along with that. I don't know if there is any other governing body of cruise ships.

We shall see what happens.

Legally however, I think all they are obliged to do is to offer to cancel at no charge and offer an alternative option (which I presume is on another ship). I can't think for one minute that P&O Havent had their legal chaps look at this.

k8T

I would write again stating that you wish to make an official complaint stressing how this is the holiday that you wanted and it is not your fault that they wrongly advertised the cabin.It is not conveineint for you to re-book at another time. Stress that your daughters safety should be their priorioty and they should provide you with a cabin of the same grade or higher that will take a cot/small bed. You should not have to resort to taking the mattress of the bunk each night for her to sleep on the floor. Tell them that your are sending a copy of the letter to trading standards and the department which is responsible for the safety certificates for the cruise ships (presume there must be one you will have to research). Offer again as a compromise to settle for the mini-suite at half price but maybe save this until you receive next reply. You booked your holiday in good faith and they are failing to provide what they advertised -technically a breach of contract. The ten day deadline is not acceptable. Finish your letter by requesting a copy of their complaints procedure.

Another thought Ventura is supposed to be aimed at the family market and have are obviously failing in your case.This is not the service you expect from a company of P & Os standard. I never give up on a complaint always worth a few stamps - they always try to fob you off with their first reply go for at least four attepmts.

I had a problem like this last year in that the company (not pando) I was travelling with were not giving me what was advertised in there brochure and on there website. If as you say they are still using the brochure with the incorrect information then legally they are in trouble as they are not providing the service they are advetising. I persued with my problems and told them they were in breach of contract and it was false advertsing and that I was considering taking legal advice low and behold suddenly everything was sorted. Although in your case its a bit more difficult as the cabin is not as specified and there is probably a get out clause in the brochure saying that this is for illistration purposes only and they cant gaurantee that everything will be like it says in the brochure as the ship is not built yet etc etc. but I would keep at them tell them your going to the papers about them or something as they are not prepared to me you in the middle on something that were their mistake not yours as you would never have booked that type of cabin if you had known as your daughter is not old enough for that type of bed yet no one likes this sort of thing especially when a young child is going to be left very disappointed.

It is against health and safety advice for a child under 6 to sleep in an upper bunk it tells you on the things when you buy them so tell them that. I would ask them if they can provide some sort of safety rail free of charge for you to use since it is the companys fault and not yours that there product is not as specified in the brochure and make sure you know exactly how high up the rail goes. Also inform them that if they do not provide you with this and force you to make such a young child sleep in this type of bed that you will hold them wholey responsible if anything happens to her and you will not hesitate to sue. that should get a reaction.

Also tell them you dont see why you should have to pay extra for a mini suite as you dont want one you just want your daughter to be able to sleep safely and as far as you are concerned they are compromising her safety if she has to sleep in a upper berth

Hope you get it sorted

Remember that p & O are not "forcing" your child to sleep in the upper berth - there are two other passengers in the cabin too and one of them could sleep there. You have been provided with a cabin for 3 - so really there is no case to answer.

just to add that last week on Oriana additional bed rails were given to both of my girls.....the mothercare sort. this was a major bonus as it ment that the whole bed was railed. However my over protective husband still slept up on the top bunk so that my youngest would be safe....he is 6" 4 and at the start of the cruise 16 1/2 stone (17 by the end ha,ha) and he had no problems, infact thought it very comfy!

I know you wanted to sleep together but you may have to compromise this if you still wish to cruise.........it seems that most ships are like this.

Lou

Remember that p & O are not "forcing" your child to sleep in the upper berth - there are two other passengers in the cabin too and one of them could sleep there. You have been provided with a cabin for 3 - so really there is no case to answer.

Yes they have been provided wih a cabin for three but with two lower and an upper bed they booked two lower beds and a sofa bed so therefore not given what was advertised or what they booked and I would not want to sleep a 3 year old on an upper bunk or sleep there myself.

Archived