booking via TA vs internet vs cruise line?

Lilbecky

Alright, just looking for people's opinion about how to book a cruise. Previous trips of ours have been booked through expedia and we have never had problems. But with a cruise, we need flight, hotel before the cruise, and the cruise and I am sure other things, I have no yet thought of. So,How do you experienced cruisers out there book your cruise? Which way can you get the best deals on the cruise and flight? If we go with a travel agent, what kind of questions should I ask to make sure they know what they are doing? (I have never used one before) Thank you in advance for the advice!!!!! :)

I found a TA on the internet and couldn't be more happy.

When I first contacted him he gave me honest answers [checked info with 2 other TAs].

We booked a H. A. Panama cruise and he saved us $600.

He convinced me to go with H.A. and I couldn't have been happier. Buyer must beware with anybody. I wish i could recommend him to you but the site does not permit this.

Being a CDN, I had to book with a U.S. TA in US funds to save money.

I'd find a TA for the cruise, book my own hotel & air (will have more control/probably cheaper than what the cruiseline offer).

I always research first to get an idea of the price. Usually I book through a TA, but last time I booked online. I should have read the fine print FIRST, but I didn't. If I decide to make changes/cancel, I will have to pay fees. There are many TAs that do not charge fees. Better to ask upfront before you book!

As far as deals go, I figure if I can get a cruise for under $100/day per person, it's a good price considering it includes my room/meals/entertainment. Some are even less. Seems to be more last minute deals than early booking deals out there. The problem with last minute deals is that you sometimes have to settle for a cabin/catagory you don't really want.

I typically use online TA's with good success. I do my own air and accomodations - leaving a day early just in case. On my first cruise I used a PVP due to my inexperience. I think I can get a better deal online and compare options as to different cruises I may have overlooked using their search engine.

For me, I'll always go with a ta, for this one reason. If they f$%& up you have a face to talk to and not an email or a phone call. I've been on 5 cruises, # 6 is in Feb. and so far, touch wood, (so why do we touch wood for good luck anyways:confused: ), everything has been great.

Yes I just touched wood.

We have done 2 cruises. We called the cruiseline on their 1 800 number, talked to their agent and made our reservations. We then went online and booked our plane trip directly through their website. When we talked to Celebrity, our first cruiseline, we found we could add on a bus trip that would take us from Baltimore's Travel Park up to the port of NY. It made several stops picking up cruise ship passengers from Wilmington, DE, Philadelphia and NJ depot that the bus was out of. With Carnival we added on a transfer from Miami's airport to the port where our ship was. In that case we didn't need a hotel, we just had about 3 hours in the airport with nothing to do. We did have a golf package that we did after our 3 night cruise and for that, the transfer bus took us back to the airport where we got our rental car. We had a hotel and golf courses done through the golf package company.

Thank you guys!!! that was very very helpful!!! Heres what I found about why we "touch wood"....

The origin is unknown, though some writers have pointed to pre-Christian rituals involving the spirits of sacred trees such as the oak, ash, holly or hawthorn. There is an old Irish belief that you should knock on wood to let the little people know that you are thanking them for a bit of good luck. There’s also a belief that the knocking sound prevents the Devil from hearing your unwise comments.

Everyone on here is so great! Thank you!!! :D

A travel agent is your own personal customer service representative. They should get to know you and your likes and dislikes. If they don't ask many questions of you and take things for granted, then they may not be the right TA. They should ask your age; what lines you have traveled with or where you have traveled and about things you like to do and see.

Booking air is no longer commissionable, so usually an agency has to tack on a fee. You can book your own air directly with the airline but you will have to watch it for any changes. Most airlines are good about notifying you of changes. Personally I use kayak.com for comparisons. Always try to leave home a day early just in case of any unforseen incidents. Travel insurance is also recommended not only for medical but so many other issues are covered.

Started using an on-TA 4 cruises ago. I always check the fare on the Celebrity or RCCL site first, then call the TA to book because they give me shipboard credit, pay for my tips or give me a "loyalty rebate" after the cruise. I've also been given the rebate and the shipboard credit. Additionally, they are very good about accepting any changes that ai decide to make. Never had a problem.

This is very helpful. I just found out my first choice TA is retiring, so I contacted a TA who specializes in cruises. I don't know her, but her agency was recommended to me.

Would pricing be better through the TA or through the cruise line's travel representative (Princess)?

Would you suggest I contact the cruise line agent for pricing, even though I'll probably book thru the TA? I want to compare prices and I think each agent should be aware that I'm shopping around. After all, I do the same when shopping for a stove!

Thanks for all the help. Love these boards!

Since the cruise line you are looking at is Princess, booking through a TA is usually cheaper.

You can find what Princess would charge on the Princess web site.

I would also check the TA's listed under Cruise Agencies on this site. (the link is on thetop of the page, under the Talk Ship picture)

When pricing be very careful what is included. When looking or asking for prices make sure you get the TOTAL amount, which includes port and taxes.

On many sites you must pretend you are booking and choose a cabin to get the total price. Also, when talking to a TA, same thing, make sure you get the Total price.

I always book hotel and air myself.

For me, I'll always go with a ta, for this one reason. If they f$%& up you have a face to talk to and not an email or a phone call. I've been on 5 cruises, # 6 is in Feb. and so far, touch wood, (so why do we touch wood for good luck anyways:confused: ), everything has been great.

Yes I just touched wood.

Regarding the wood (Touch wood/Knock on wood)

check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_wood

http://www.mystical-www.co.uk/twood.htm

http://www.csicop.org/superstition/library/wood.html

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked online before, through a travel agent, and through the cruise line. We found no real differences between the different ways, so we always go with the best deal. Sometimes you have to call the cruiseline directly to get a certain cabin or adjoining cabins or whatever. And if a TA or website tells you that something isn't available, call the cruise line directly.

We have booked online before, through a travel agent, and through the cruise line. We found no real differences between the different ways, so we always go with the best deal. Sometimes you have to call the cruiseline directly to get a certain cabin or adjoining cabins or whatever. And if a TA or website tells you that something isn't available, call the cruise line directly.

TA's should have the exact same availabity as the cruiseline. Not sure what you mean?

Well, sometimes we book interline rates, and that doesn't always include every cabin on the ship. But we started to book our cruise for next March on an internet site, but we couldn't find any cabins available that were close together. (We needed 3.) So I called RCCL directly, and they booked us in three rooms with two of them adjoining. The same rooms were not available on the website. We've never used a local TA, so I would imagine they could call the cruise line directly and book the same cabins.

We booked online and I liked it. It was quick and easy!

After a week or so, we got a call from a travel consultant at the cruise line interested in booking us on a future cruise. We weren't ready to do that yet, BUT she was able to get us a cabin change to a port-side cabin that we had been unable to do through the regular 800 number!

I'll be calling her directly in the future! So next time we will call the cruise line travel consultant directly to book. She had access and authority regular reservations didn't have.

Archived