What to do what to do in Tampa

CanadianEh!

we are arriving a day early in tampa and leaving a date after our cruise, we are staying at the embassy suites downtown the one right by the trolly.

What is there to do. My wife will be pregnant so bush gardens is out. We will probably do the aquarium, anything else around there to do we will probably have enough beaches on the cruise.

The tampa bay lightning aren't playing so not hockey.

What about Gallaghers steak house i hear it is really good any thoughts? We are from the Alberta prairies so steak could be every meal as long as it is good :)

Thanks everyone.

We are staying 2 days before our cruise in 2 weeks. We are spending Saturday at Clearwater and then dining at Ruth's Chris that night for a late anniversary dinner. Sunday we are doing the trolley around to sight see and also checking out the aquarium. We plan to have an early dinner at Bennigan's to watch the Legend leave.

You mentioned the Aquarium. There is also Lowry Park Zoo and MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry). There is a Holocaust Museum in St. Pete as well as Salvador Dali Museum and an International Museum that changes out its displays. If you have a car, Sarasota is not too far away is is home to the Ringling Museums, Art-featuring Rubens and others, Circus-costumes, artifacts, some live shows, and Ca'd Zan (House of John) Italian style palazzo that the Ringlings lived in.

If you aren't planning on a rental, I would suggest Ybor City for the architect and history.

As for food, I would reccommend some Cuban fare. The Columbia Restaurant is in Ybor City and is fabulous. There are lots of restaurants that serve the Cuban sandwich, roast pork or ham and salami with swiss cheese, pickles and a mayo/mustard mix.

Many years ago, I was on the other coast of FL. When we poor graduate students would get enough pennies together, we would go to the Hurricane in St. Pete beach and gorge on fresh seafood.

If you are not going to have a car available, there should be some good places close...but bring your wallet. If you luck out and find a crummy-looking place, the food should be even better.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

You mentioned the Aquarium. There is also Lowry Park Zoo and MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry). There is a Holocaust Museum in St. Pete as well as Salvador Dali Museum and an International Museum that changes out its displays. If you have a car, Sarasota is not too far away is is home to the Ringling Museums, Art-featuring Rubens and others, Circus-costumes, artifacts, some live shows, and Ca'd Zan (House of John) Italian style palazzo that the Ringlings lived in.

If you aren't planning on a rental, I would suggest Ybor City for the architect and history.

As for food, I would reccommend some Cuban fare. The Columbia Restaurant is in Ybor City and is fabulous. There are lots of restaurants that serve the Cuban sandwich, roast pork or ham and salami with swiss cheese, pickles and a mayo/mustard mix.

I have heard a lot of great things about the Columbia restaurant. Was wondering how expensive it is.

We have been to the Columbia a couple of times. Once a year in September they have the 1905 day when their prices are the same as when they were founded. This year I will be chaperoning my DS' field trip there. The 6th graders have a 5 course meal with all the silverware:eek: . Thanks to cruising, both of us should be able to handle it.:p

I highly reccommend the 1905 salad, Black Bean soup, Boliche and flan.

Archived