Need advice about Shore Excursions

JTfromGA

My husband, son, his girlfriend (both in college) and I are going on the Glory October 20 to the Western Carribbean. Our port calls are Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan (was changed from Costa Maya due to Hurricane damage) and Freeport. We do want to see at least one Mayan Ruin and visit at least one beach. I need some recommendations on where to go and what to see. I also need to advice on whether to use Carnivals Excursions or an independent agency. Tell me your experiences. Also, keep in mind that the college kids can't afford too expensive adventures.

Thanks! Janice

I would do it on your own. Roatan is know for snorkeling and scuba diving, not sure about their beaches. West End is gorgeous, for sure get over there by taxi or whatever. The water is beautiful.

Cozumel has some all inclusive beaches you can catch a taxi to as well. Everything is included even drinks and food I believe. There are a couple to choose from.

Id go to cavetubing . com site for Belize, the city is depressing, dont do a city tour, we were sorry we did and everyone who did cavetubing or the zip lines over the trees had such a great time..get out of the city and have fun.

Cozumel is your best bet for just plain beaches imo.

We would agree with mojean as you will get lots of information on the ports. You will have lots of options and we have used both the cruise lines and independent folks for our excursions. In July we went to Freeport for the first time and we just hung out at the beach.

In Belize we have done the barrier reef snorkel and the cave tubing. We have been to Cozumel many times and we have always done a snorkel trip...one time we did the dolphins which we thought was just OK. We never miss paying a visit to Carlos & Charlies in Cozumel. We have never been to Roatan. Have a great time whatever you decide to do on these islands.

John & Shari

We did the ruins trips in Tulum and Belize, both through the ship, but not a carnival ship. The ones in Belize were nicer in my opinion, because you could actually go into some of the buildings. I can't remember the cost, but they were all day trips. Cozumel has nice beaches and great snorkeling, and they have some local ruins, but they aren't as good as the other two. I haven't been to the other islands that you mentioned, so can't coment.

Kathy

It is very hard to make the choices. Yes, Belize is the place to see the ruins, but it also a great place to snorkel at the top of the barrier reef. We booked through Coral Breeze. the snorkeling excursion and had a fantastic time. We are repeating it in Feb. In Roaton, we are going to book Victor Bodden. Check out these websites for some ideas.

My husband, son, his girlfriend (both in college) and I are going on the Glory October 20 to the Western Carribbean. Our port calls are Belize, Cozumel, Isla Roatan (was changed from Costa Maya due to Hurricane damage) and Freeport. We do want to see at least one Mayan Ruin and visit at least one beach. I need some recommendations on where to go and what to see. I also need to advice on whether to use Carnivals Excursions or an independent agency. Tell me your experiences. Also, keep in mind that the college kids can't afford too expensive adventures.

Thanks! Janice

Hi Janice, we just returned from Glory Western on Sept 29th and did the revised ports, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Freeport. Here is my two centers worth.

Roatan, take the ship excursion Tambayna Beach Resort $35 pp. You return to the ship at your leisure, transportation available every half hour. I have photos in my signature, this beach is AWESOME and you can snorkel right from shore, we have our own gear, but gear is available to rent at the beach. This was one day we hated to return to the ship.

Freeport take a taxi on your own, $5 pp each way to Our Lucaya a beach on the other side of the island, chair rentals are $10 but the beach is free to use otherwise.

Cozumel there are so many choices either on your own or via the ship. Checking out Cozumel Insider is a good choice for research.

Belize, definitely do an excursion thru the ship. THis is a tender port and tender is quite a way out there! The shopping in port is awful and nothing to see if you don't do an excursion.

Hope this helps, but you are in the right place CC boards have all the info you could possibly want or need.

In Cozumel (April) we did the dolphin encounter (through Carnival) and it was the best! It is definately a bit pricey, but it was a great excursion. The location is great, and you can hang out there all day pretty much. They have showers, food, etc. Lots of neat nature trails. This was my first dolphin encounter, and it was wonderful. I hate to be cheesy, but honestly it was a magic moment. If you have not done it before, this is a great place to try it out. Have a great cruise!!

PS We did the Pirates Beach in Freeport back in 2003. Was fun, but the bathroom/"gift store" area smelled like nothing Ive ever smelled before, and that is NOT a good thing! And the mini-golf was closed!

Tulum through Carnival will give you great ruins and the most beautiful beach to swim at Tulum. You will have plenty of time to see the ruins and still swim at the Tulum Beach. See pictures. In belize we went to Xunantunich. Long 3 hour ride 1/2 mile from Guadamala- dangerous enough for tourists that they had soldiers with MK-47's to protect us from people who prey on the tourists. We had plenty of faith in their efforts to protect us but in the middle of a gun battle in the middle of a field is not a vacation for us. Had we known of the danger we would not have gone.

tulum-36.jpg.38ef811b6e0eaa0b23a8b363f70df671.jpg

tulum-29.jpg.3a7c78d6522de302ec2302d13a9f0f11.jpg

tulum-20.jpg.80e7e9557171a2e57ff420236eace02b.jpg

Archived