Virgin Gorda (Baths) Charter from Roadtown Tortola

Runitsajellyfish

We (8 CC members) will be in Tortola on 10-22-07, docked from 10-6pm. We are considering chartering a speed boat (with a skipper) or water taxi to Virgin Gorda. We don't want to do the same "cattle boats" that the ship uses as that would make our usable time at the Bath about 2hrs 45 mns. We want one that can get us there before the crowds, and we don't care if we have to swim a few yards to get to the beach, we just want fast there, and fast back. We checked with several places, and have found prices ranging from $600-$1200, but we are looking more in the "way lower" range. Any suggestions?

Not to be a smart a-- but if you want "way lower" you're probably going to have to take the "cattle boat". $600 for 8 people on a private charter, with a skipper, is a pretty good deal.

By the way, it is customery to tip the skipper 15-20%, so remember to figure that into the price when comparing.

Not to be a smart a-- but if you want "way lower" you're probably going to have to take the "cattle boat". $600 for 8 people on a private charter, with a skipper, is a pretty good deal.

By the way, it is customery to tip the skipper 15-20%, so remember to figure that into the price when comparing.

RRRRRRRRR. That's not good news... It looks like we may be searching for a good beach on Tortola instead. From what I've read, ye are the "Pyrate of Many Beaches" :p , what would you recommended for a beach in Tortola for the following:

1. Calmer water (bringing our snorkelling gear).

2. Not horribly crowded.

3. Nearby restrooms.

4. Not horribly far from the ship's port, as we want to maximize our time.

5. Remote is okay, as long as we can get a cab back to the ship when ready.

A restaurant would be nice too, but would take last priority.

-Jellyfish

Cane Garden Bay will have the most people but it also has the largest selection of bars & Restaurants plus facilities. Snorkeling is fair, better at the west end of the beach.

Smuggler's will have the least amount of people usually but no facilities. There are normally vendors set up under the trees with drinks and some foodstuffs. Snorkeling again is fair, the reef was badly damaged in a hurricane a number of years ago (I seem to remember it was Georges) and is not in great shape. This one is the farthest from the port.

Brewer's will have fewer folks then CGB, snorkeling is good but you have to swim out some. There is one bar/restaurant on the west end of the beach called Nicole's. Good food/cold drinks. There is a restroom there if you are a customer. There were public restrooms near the beach but not very well maintained and I don't know if they are still there.

CGB & Brewer's are a short taxi ride from the port over the scenic hills.

Joshia's Bay is nice with a couple of bars but I've never seen anyone snorkeling there. It is typically a surfers beach.

There can be good snorkeling out at Marina Cay and there is a Pusser's Bar and restaurant there. You would take a taxi to Beef Island, then a small ferry takes you to the cay. The ferry is free. This is also a good ways from the port. Watch your timing so you make it back to the ship on time.

Considering your list, I would say Brewer's fits the closest to your wants.

Thank ye "Captain" Pyrate13, you're the man! More questions for you:

How far do you have to swim out to get good snorkeling at Brewer's?

1: Is there any undertow?

2: How deep is it out to (and) at the snorkeling area (reefs?)?

3: Are there any aggressive hawkers that approach you selling at the beach?

4: Is it safe to leave your stuff on the beach unattended while snorkeling?

5: Do taxi's take you right to the beach, and will be there when ready to leave?

6: What kind of food do they have at Nicole's? Online menu?

-Jellyfish the Inquisitor

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for reporting back. :) I'm glad I could be of a little help and that you enjoyed yourself. Sorry I missed your last set of questions.:eek:

No problem, it's hard to keep up with all of these threads.

I snorkeled along the left bank (facing the water), and saw schools of literally millions of little green fish that were so numerous it blocked out my visibility, then all of a sudden.....a huge (5-6ft.) silver colored fish that looked like a 150lb. sardine would appear! I came upon these mammoth fish in and around the coastal reefs, in shallow water. Any idea what they were? I also managed to pick up one of those pointy black sea urchins and let everyone get some good photos of it crawling on my hand before returning it back to the reefs. At one time a pelican nose-dived into the water right in front of me. We had cheeseburgers ($4.50USD), and fries ($3USD) at the beachfront bar/restaurant you mentioned (Nicole's). The owner and his wife were very cordial. Chair rentals were $5USD each, and were clean and maintained. Overall, it was one of the calmest beach days I had out of 16 ports we've been to.:)

Archived