Canadian dollars or American dollars

jay44

I am sailing to Alaska next year, from Vancouver on the Sapphire Princess.

Do I have to pay my onboard account in Canadian dollars, or can I pay off in American dollars? (the American dollar rate is so good right now, that I have begun buying them for my Alaskan cruise).

Thank you

Jay:o

Alaska belongs to the states so it will be in Americian dollars. I was there last June. Had a wonderful trip did a small seaplane to the misty firords that was great my pilot was Michelle and she was fantastic,we landed on a small lake also do the train ride in Skagway it is amazing I believe it is the right side of the train that you should sit on. This truly was a highlight breath taking views.

Happy sailings

All Princess ships use the US$ for on-board charges. I think the best plan for those people from other countries who do not have a US$-based charge card is to purchase traveler checks in US$ and pay off all or most of your account while on board, to avoid conversion fees.

All Princess ships use the US$ for on-board charges.

May be true, but if you have that charge put on your credit card, read further.

If you look at your Boarding pass, there is a section that you need to address.

The section that says

"CURRENCY CONVERSION DETAILS

For non US issued MasterCard or Visa Card Holders

blah, blah blah,"

Look to the section that says, it's the last one

"If you opt for your charges not to be converted, or if your card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, your charges will be processed in the onboard currency (see your itinerary) and the issuer of your card may still charge you a service fee for currency conversion. I choose to pay in the onboard currency, please check here ___."

Check it off, Make sure they see it, Highlight it, make a copy, go to the Purser's office, do what you need to.

You could also make sure by going to the Purser's desk on the last day and paying up your account then, you can then make sure it is in US dollars.

Since, as you say the Pound/US is great right now, tell Princess to bill in US, and get your credit card company to convert for you, I suspect you would get a better rate from them, although it doesn't hurt to ask the credit card company what they are charging. Princess charges a poor exchange rate, and 3% on top of it.

You could also make sure by going to the Purser's desk on the last day and paying up your account then, you can then make sure it is in US dollars.

This is what I aim to do. Although they will have my credit card registered, I will settle my account in cash the day before disembarkation.

May be true, but if you have that charge put on your credit card, read further.

If you look at your Boarding pass, there is a section that you need to address.

...Since, as you say the Pound/US is great right now, tell Princess to bill in US, and get your credit card company to convert for you, I suspect you would get a better rate from them, although it doesn't hurt to ask the credit card company what they are charging. Princess charges a poor exchange rate, and 3% on top of it.

That's why I also said:

I think the best plan for those people from other countries who do not have a US$-based charge card is to purchase traveler checks in US$ and pay off all or most of your account while on board, to avoid conversion fees.
I think I covered it adequately.

Archived