Antarctica - Marco Polo or Discovery

susyq1976

Hi everyone

I'm new to this thread - in fact - fairly new to cruising in general (have only been on 2 on Royal Caribbean, which i loved). This board is just what i needed!

My husband and i are planning a trip of a lifetime (honeymoon baby!) to South America/Antarctica and can't decide between two cruiselines - the Marco Polo and Discovery. Does anyone have any opinions between the two? What's important to us (in this order):

1) comfort/luxury

2) landings in antarctica - who typically does more of them?

3) itinerary

4) food

Can anyone help with this dilemma? We are planning to go in Dec 07.

Thanks in advance,

-Susan

Hello.

I had similar questions when booking my cruise for January 2008. I spent a lot of time on these boards researching, also on the websites of the 2 cruiselines. There are reviews of the 2 ships on these boards. Also, check out the "Other Cruise Lines" board.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks guys, i'll check it out.

The MP seems more reputable, lots of fans on this board, however, the Discovery seems newer and the cabins a lot bigger.

Tarheelbelle, which boat did you end up booking with and why?

Thanks again!

-Susan

Thanks guys, i'll check it out.

The MP seems more reputable, lots of fans on this board, however, the Discovery seems newer and the cabins a lot bigger.

Tarheelbelle, which boat did you end up booking with and why?

Thanks again!

-Susan

Discovery. Someone had posted that they were able to go onto both ships and that the Discovery seemed in better condition and decor. Plus, the MP is being sold after this season. Also it is currently owned by the parent company that owns NCL, which I have recently sailed and with which I have not been that impressed. In addition, I have wanted to sail on the former Island Princess {"Love Boat" twin} for some time. Reading reviews of both, plus the land itineraries, I just felt more comfortable with the Discovery.

I just returned from the Marco Polo and the captain said all remaining cruises have been sold out. When we first embarked they had 2 openings in Jan but a week later these were gone. I guess everyone has had their last chance on the boat. I enjoyed the Marco POlo as I cruised on it twice. However, this summer I booked a January cruise to Antarctica with Discovery. Talking to others on the Marco Polo who have done both the people said the lectures on the Discovery were outstanding. The food on the Discovery was not as good as the Marco Polo. Our table mates said that if I liked the Marco Polo I would like Discovery as it is so similar. There would be more people on the Discovery though as they do not limit the amount of passengers as much as the Marco Polo does. That is what I was told by the 8 people who had cruised to Antarctica on both. All said and done I am looking forward to this experience.

Firstly I would check as to what is available, given that you are wanting to book December 2007 You will be limited in the itinerary/dates/cabins etc available at this stage. There are also many differences in where they also sail/land.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Marco is still available - I just booked last week (at a great price) for a solo cabin on the Rio to Ushuaia Antarctic sailing (first of the season, and the x-mas cruise).

As for the difference between the two ships - a lot of the crew, and officers went from the Marco to Discovery... They had been with Mr. Harrod (the founder) for decades. So, service wise I imagine they're very similar. Also, the ships are about the same age and size - but Discovery was refurbished when she became Discovery. I'm partial to the Marco, but pretty much, I'd recommend going with which ever one you get a better deal on.

Lydia

• 2 weeks later...
The Marco is still available - I just booked last week (at a great price) for a solo cabin on the Rio to Ushuaia Antarctic sailing (first of the season, and the x-mas cruise).

As for the difference between the two ships - a lot of the crew, and officers went from the Marco to Discovery... They had been with Mr. Harrod (the founder) for decades. So, service wise I imagine they're very similar. Also, the ships are about the same age and size - but Discovery was refurbished when she became Discovery. I'm partial to the Marco, but pretty much, I'd recommend going with which ever one you get a better deal on.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

could you email me or respond with your email? I would be grateful if I could run a couple of questions by you regarding your Antarctic cruise? Thanks in advance!

daiseee@aol.com

My suggestion (although I am severily biased) is none of the above.

Ships larger than 200 passangers are restricted on sites they can visit. According to the Iaato Rules no more than 100 passengers can be on land at any time. On ships with more than 100 passengers, pax are divided into groups of less than that and alternate on landings.

My recommendation is to choose a ship with less than 100 pax, or at least one with up to 200 passengers, like the Explorer 2, Le Diamant, Hanseatic.

You still get your confortable cabin, but you are not so restricted.

Archived