Changing Dining Arrangements

tom_uk

I wonder if I can ask a question of P&O veterans?

We have a reservation for Ventura for next September. When we booked (in June or July) we decided we'd try Freedom Dining, but we've reconsidered and decided that we would prefer Club Dining - but only if we can get 2nd sitting. Our TA has spoken to P&O and 2nd sitting is already full and is now on wait-list, but has only just gone to that status. So we've accepted a position near the top of the wait-list in the hope that we will get promoted to 2nd sitting between now and next September.

However, if it doesn't happen we'd prefer to go back to Freedom Dining than take 1st sitting. If we are still on 1st sitting when we embark (and can't effect a change to 2nd at that point), can we switch to Freedom Dining at that time?

Any advice from experienced hands on other P&O ships that feature Freedom Dining (Arcadia does, I know; Oceana?) would be very welcome.

Hello Tom,

If your waitlisted near the top of the list for second sitting, more than likely you will get second sitting. However, if thats not the case, whenever you first go to your cabin, you'll see on your desk a card, its usually pink or yellow, informing you of what sitting you have been allocated and if its fixed dining, your table number. If you dont want whats been allocated, there is normally a desk in one of the dining rooms available about 4pm, for a head waiter to re-allocate passengers preference. It may be earlier than 4pm but there will be a memo giving you this time also on your desk.

I hope this makes sense to you,

Jimmy

Haggis - thanks for the suggestions re. what to do when we embark.

However, that wasn't what I was asking. What I'm after is some info as to whether, if I find that I am stuck with 1 sitting Club Dining when we embark, can I back out to Freedom dining at that time?

I think you can, but the other thing you can do is queue up at the restaurant you are allocated to to speak to the restaurant manager. There may be others who are trying to change from 2nd to 1st sitting -you might get lucky!

We tried this on the Arcadia, joined a long queue, but most people were wanting to change from 1st to 2nd sitting. It was a much younger crowd on board so no body wanted to eat so early.

I will never go on a cruise again that I have to lose so much of my day getting ready for dinner at 6.30pm -unless it's a free cruise of course!!!

Tom,

Just a word of advice.

We booked for Ventura Christmas & New Year cruise in the Caribbean on the day bookings opened.

We booked Freedom Dining because it suits us with children. A friend who works in the cruise industry at a local general TA's was told that for all Ventura Caribbean cruises P&O are only confiming 1st & 2nd sitting for about the first 100 bookings on each cruise (I don't know how accurate this figure is but lots of people on lots of sites have said they are waitlisted for Club Dining)

One of the theories is that P&O might have to re-think having 2 Freedom Dining restaurants and only one Club Dining restaurant, and until they do that they cannot accurately know exactly how many table's they will be able to offer for Club Dining at each sitting.

Only time will tell with this new ship.

I hope you are happy with whatever you end up with on your cruise,

Feebee_71:)

Archived