Packing info for Freestyle NCL cruise?

themishmans

I don't care if there's no formal night, if it is truly "freestyle" I should be able to dress up anytime I want, right? So keeping that in mind, how many formal outfits should I pack? Right now I have a full length black beaded gown and a full length black cotton dress with sky blue greek key design. I also have 2 cocktail dresses (one red and one purple floral on back background). I also have 2 pairs of dressy slacks (black and ivory). What else will I need for evenings on a seven night cruise? After the amount I spent on the cruise, I don't want to buy a new wardrobe too. (I also have two daughters to dress-but that's another post).

I don't care if there's no formal night, if it is truly "freestyle" I should be able to dress up anytime I want, right? So keeping that in mind, how many formal outfits should I pack? Right now I have a full length black beaded gown and a full length black cotton dress with sky blue greek key design. I also have 2 cocktail dresses (one red and one purple floral on back background). I also have 2 pairs of dressy slacks (black and ivory). What else will I need for evenings on a seven night cruise? After the amount I spent on the cruise, I don't want to buy a new wardrobe too. (I also have two daughters to dress-but that's another post).

Hi themishmans....dh and I have been on two NCL 7 night cruises. I took one formal (long dress) and 1 coctail outfit (dress or evening slacks and top) both work well. NCL does have two set formal nights on 7 day cruises and both are set nights...usually 2nd & 4th nights. On our Hawaii cruise we only attended one formal night because we were so tired from fun & sun in Hawaii...so we ate in the buffet...but could have had room service and dinner on our patio but did not think of that...boy we were really tired. :eek: On regular dining nights I suppose resort casual will be fine...and now NCL allows jeans in the dining rooms so you should be okay. Our favorite ship so far is the Norwegian Star...beautiful ship and great staff she is a sister ship to the Dawn. Have fun on your cruise. Char

The great thing about NCL and freestyle is that you're free to dress however you want (within reason of course) so you can bring as many formal dresses as you like. Resort casual is the minimum dress code and that's what the majority of other people will be wearing so maybe you can fill your wardrobe gaps with clothes that fall under that category.

What I enjoyed most about our 2 NCL cruises was the fact that I didn't have to take any formal dresses along at all. The first cruise, I think I saw about half the people dressed formally. The second cruise (a short one) I think I saw 2 women with formal dresses, many with long cotton dresses and a handful in cocktail dresses. I hardly saw any men at all with a tie on. I took a nice evening pants outfit, thinking I would blend in so I wouldn't stand out on formal night. I ended up not wearing it, it was much more formal than most of what I saw, so I wore it the next night and was just dressier than most.

It was fine with us, though, we ate in the specialty dining rooms every night. We prefer to dress nicely, my husband wears nice slacks and a silk shirt, I wear a nice pants suit or short dress.

You will see many in jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, etc... The only thing NCL requests is no shorts in the dining room in the evening.

You sound like me, I love to dress up on cruises! I believe you are on my roll call, so I guess there will at least be two of us who will dress up even when we don't need to :) I have to say though it is nice to have the option to dress as you please each night, but overall, I tend to "dress" for dinner; where else can I really do that in day to day life.

For dinner,I am taking: 2 floor length formals, 2 cocktails dresses, 3 regular dresses, and 2 fairly causual pants outfits. Thats enough for some options for me, depending on how tired I am after port days.

It is much easier for the guys, isn't it. Of course, God only knows what my husband would take if I didn't do the packing for him. As it is he'll have one dark suit and a couple sport coats. I agonize every cruise, and I always end up buying something new, whether I need it or not, at least I am a good bargin shopper.

I bet all the dressing up will be fun for your 15 year old too.

I think thats true. All of our cruises have been during the holidays (x-mas, or new years) and all on NCL, and I have always seen more people dressed up than what others report on here for NCL.

Is your family driving or flying to port? We have always driven, but are flying this year (ST Louis to FLL), and I am struggling to not take my usual moving vans worth of luggage :)

I wonder if the sailing we are on will have more people dressing up. After all it is a holiday. I figure people will want to dress up on Christmas. :confused:

I hope you're not setting your expectations a little high. If going "formal" perhaps you should have chosen a line that implements traditional dining/dress. You'll be fine, but many will not bother dressing to the nines.

With that being said, I'm sailing on on the NCL Pearl (my 2nd NCL cruise) in less than 2 weeks on a 9-day and I'm assuming that will mean 2 or 3 "dress up or not" evenings. Like you, I like to "clean it up" every now and then and am taking 1 fancy/formal cocktail dress and several other cute and casual dresses. Anything resembling an over the top, full blown evening gown will be the exception.

I have also sailed Celebrity and lugged the formal wear, tuxedo and all the accessories. Wonderful experience but way to much hassle for my vacation.

Hey there's nothing wrong with looking like a million bucks:D , just don't "expect" others to do so when it is not required.

Enjoy your cruise and post some photos for us!

Happy Sails!!

Romy:)

I booked really late, so the price of airfare was $1800 for the 4 of us. We decided to drive (I am still looking for cheaper flights). It is a long drive to Miami. We will break it up into two days. I am not looking forward to the drive back. The after vacation drive always seems longer.

But the bright side is, I can pack my entire closet and not have to worry about airline restrictions.

I booked really late, so the price of airfare was $1800 for the 4 of us. We decided to drive (I am still looking for cheaper flights). It is a long drive to Miami. We will break it up into two days. I am not looking forward to the drive back. The after vacation drive always seems longer.

But the bright side is, I can pack my entire closet and not have to worry about airline restrictions.

I certainly envy you! I think my biggest stressor is the stupid airline restrictions, ugh!

Romy:)

You sound like me, I love to dress up on cruises! I believe you are on my roll call, so I guess there will at least be two of us who will dress up even when we don't need to :) I have to say though it is nice to have the option to dress as you please each night, but overall, I tend to "dress" for dinner; where else can I really do that in day to day life.

For dinner,I am taking: 2 floor length formals, 2 cocktails dresses, 3 regular dresses, and 2 fairly causual pants outfits. Thats enough for some options for me, depending on how tired I am after port days.

Not to worry, I don't see anything wrong with being dressed up every night! I tend to dress up a bit more than what others will wear as well, it makes no difference to me that the next table is in jeans, I'm not in their party. Are you on a 9 night cruise? Your list includes enough clothes for that many nights :confused:

Great, Deliza. The two of us can hang out together amidst the unwashed masses. ;)

It is so much easier for men. DH is planning to take one dark suit and that's it. My older daughter and I are agonizing (she's 15).

I wonder if the sailing we are on will have more people dressing up. After all it is a holiday. I figure people will want to dress up on Christmas. :confused:

Unwashed masses might be a bit harsh :) From what I saw, people were clean, but casual.

I agree, men do have an easier time of it. Dark suit... check, tie...check, black shoes...check. Your daughter will be fine in clothes she might wear to a homecoming dance. Many teen girls wear shorter dresses rather than long formals. You may be agonizing a little too much. Even a nice "church" dress will work on NCL.

I do agree with the statement that perhaps people may be a little more dressed up since it is a holiday sailing, at least on the holiday itself.

Yes, one of the attractions of this line is the casual attire. Normally I would choose my cruises based on enviornment I like to be in, casual not my top choice. Still, last year the internary and the price was right and we sailed NCL.

We chose to dress for formal but instead of a long gown I chose cocktail length one evening and tea length the next. My husband left the tux at home and instead went with a more casual jacket and tie. We dined in the specialty resturants on optional formal and it ran the whole length with us somewhere in the middle. There were some floor length gowns, many cocktail length and then others in tee shirts and capri's. I did not feel the least bit uncomfortable or over dressed and as it turned out we had a lovely cruise. I think the key on this line is to dress how you prefer and pay no matter to how others choose to dress.

Yes, one of the attractions of this line is the casual attire. Normally I would choose my cruises based on enviornment I like to be in, casual not my top choice. Still, last year the internary and the price was right and we sailed NCL.

Yes, that's exactly how I felt when I booked this cruise. I have a feeling I will like it anyway. I am prepared to dress like I want and feel great about it. I would probably not like HAVING to dress a certain way anyway. Choice is good.

Archived