Just got back! FIRST cruise ever. Golden-MEXRIV

fishmaniac

Just a quick summary as I have yet to upload pics. We still need to unpack too! ;) Full report soon...

We had such a good time! We went with no expectations and was so satisfied that our next 3+ vacation will definitely be a cruise!

The ship, staff, food and ports were totally COOL! This first cruise experience for us was just awesome. We're definitely hooked! haha..

If anyone has any questions about this cruise, just ask before I forget! lol

We are going for first time on cruise with 2 children in mid-November on Golden/Mex. Riviera, can you tell me what nights are formal (customer care didn't know).

Also, any recommendations on excursions, we will have a 5 year old and 12 year old

Many thanks;)

What category stateroom were you in?

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I believe we were in cat ll? The room was located fore of the lido deck? Did I say that right? lol... It was an interior room in the forward section (bow) of the ship.

My wife said we had to get a room on the main deck after we had already reserved a room after she had talked to her co-workers. Didn't matter to me but I now agree. It's just easier to eat (it's true! The pizza's good![when it's fresh that is..:D]), swim and sun w/o taking the elevators or stairs.

There's only balconies and interiors on the lido deck. The balc's were $1200 and the int $550 at that time. So of course, we snagged the bargain! It was the last one too and that was months ago.

And if you want a private balcony, I suggest getting one on the aloha deck from midship on back as they are the most private. With the other balconies, anyone can peer into from it's above balcony and/or the sun deck.

But I'm ramblin'. I need to get back to the review! lol

We are going for first time on cruise with 2 children in mid-November on Golden/Mex. Riviera, can you tell me what nights are formal (customer care didn't know).

Also, any recommendations on excursions, we will have a 5 year old and 12 year old

Many thanks;)

Hi SM,

Welcome to the board!

We had formal nights on Sun (2nd night) and Thur after Cabo.

We did a canopy zipline tour in PV and a highlights tour of Mazatlan. The zipline was booked direct and the tour was with the ship. In Cabo, we played it by ear as we had such little time at port.

I really wouldn't know what to recommend for your 5 year old though. I do recommend trying to keep it simple. Otherwise, you might feel rushed the whole time.

According to locals, its the coolest time of year during nov-dec. But "cool" is relative! It was extremely HOT and HUMID in Mexico while it was very cold on the way there and back. So it will probably be just hot & humid and freezing during the way there and back. ;)

Many thanks;)

For a 7 night cruise, the formal nights are usually the first sea day and the second to last night.

Di you book the zip line directly through the cruiseline or through an outside tour? If outside, did they pick you up at the pier?

We booked directly with the zipline company. We had to take a 10-15 min cab ride to the tour office. It was great cuz we paid the cab driver (yellow cab normally $6.00 per cab) a bit more for giving us a mini guided tour of the town on the way and even stopped at los muertos pier so I could check out all the local pier anglers and take some video.

On the Golden, we arrived one hour behind PV time. Ship time will be 7:00am but it will be 8:00am PV time. We got off at 7:15 to NO crowds unlike how I assumed. In Mazatlan and Cabo, the local time will be ships time. Due to worrying about time prior to crusin', I reserved an 11:00am tour but should have gone with the 10:00am local time (9:00am ship time) tour.

I'm glad you had a great time! Can't wait for your full review. I didn't see many people up on the top decks for your sailaway! Did you take a pic of us @ the Acapulco Restaurant?

Luvcdays

Luvcdays, I was so ready to take pics but for one, we were very late getting to the terminal (3.40pm) and two, we were hurried to our muster stations before I could go outside. I brought along a 300mm lens just to take a pic of you guys too. Oh well..hope you enjoy your cruise though!

I'm new cruiser too, will be going on Golden in November. Just wondering about the time zone of the 3 ports of call. Does the ship ever switch time to match the local time or ship time always stick with LA time?

If you book the excursion tour with ship, is their meeting time according to ship time or the local time?

Thanks!

Archived