RCCL Serenade or NCL Jewel?

rain_bowbrite

Hello I am trying to decide on a southern caribbean cruise for spring of 09 and I have narrowed down my choice to 2 cruises; a 7 nighter on the Serenade and a 9 nighter on NCL Jewel. Both cruises are about the same cost per day but will end up costing about the same when I figure in airfare to San Juan for the serenade.

I am attracted to the Serenade because it's a Radiance class ship and I know that the food will be good. The only downside is two of the ports will repeats for me and it is 7 nights versus 9. I like the NCL Jewel for it's itinerary and all of the ports will be new for me (love sea days), but I am really concerned about the food as the only other NCL cruise I have been on the food was so-so to horrible. Any advice from anyone who has done these itineraries/ships or similiar would be greatly appreciated. Here are the intineraries:

Serenade 7 night - 1 sea day

Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados

NCL Jewel 9 night - 3 sea days

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Cayo Levantado (Samana), Dominican Republic; Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.; St. John's, Antigua; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia

Thanks, Jodie

Hello I am trying to decide on a southern caribbean cruise for spring of 09 and I have narrowed down my choice to 2 cruises; a 7 nighter on the Serenade and a 9 nighter on NCL Jewel. Both cruises are about the same cost per day but will end up costing about the same when I figure in airfare to San Juan for the serenade.

I am attracted to the Serenade because it's a Radiance class ship and I know that the food will be good. The only downside is two of the ports will repeats for me and it is 7 nights versus 9. I like the NCL Jewel for it's itinerary and all of the ports will be new for me (love sea days), but I am really concerned about the food as the only other NCL cruise I have been on the food was so-so to horrible. Any advice from anyone who has done these itineraries/ships or similiar would be greatly appreciated. Here are the intineraries:

Serenade 7 night - 1 sea day

Departs From San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; St. John's, Antigua; Castries, St. Lucia; Bridgetown, Barbados

NCL Jewel 9 night - 3 sea days

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Cayo Levantado (Samana), Dominican Republic; Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.; St. John's, Antigua; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia

Thanks, Jodie

Not sure about these two ship but just came off the Vision (RCCL) and the food was so-so to horrible. I just had a great burger and fries with slaw and pickle at a local joint today and it was great! I think RCCL is trying to get people into the pay restaurants now. We only had steak on one night on a nine night cruise- no kidding! Sirloin was an alternation every night but I do not really count that. The food was bad though! I was shocked. If you go on Serenade I hope it is better- I know the ship has to be awesome though.

Archived