How early of a flight can we make out of Rome?

newbie280106

I'm taking a Princess cruise which ends in Rome. The 'arrival time' is noted as 4 am but Princess staff aren't able to tell me when we'd be able to get off. They don't recommend booking a flight with a departure time before 11:30 am. The flight we're looking at leaves at 11:15 am and I'm wondering if this is too risky or quite possible. We'd be taking a taxi (so not waiting to take the princess transfer) and we can carry our own bags off that morning if that would speed things up.

Has anyone been in this situation for a Rome flight and what was the timing like?

Our other flight options are rather ugly but I don't want to risk this flight if it's really a risk. I just can't tell if Princess is being overly cautious and making the flight wouldnt be an issue at all.

Thanks for your help

They do seem to build in some cushion time for when to book flights out of US ports, so I'd guess 15 minutes earlier should be fine. Just be aware that things can happen to mess those plans up. Maybe posing this question of the Princess board might elicit a more firm answer LOL.

Dan,

I agree that posting on the Princess board OR Ports of Call might give you better info. Remember that there is always the possibility of getting into port late as well. Do you know how long it would take for a taxi to get to the airport from the port and availability of taxis? Sounds like a difficult decision - worrying about making the plane versus 'ugly' other options. Good luck.

Dan,

I agree that posting on the Princess board OR Ports of Call might give you better info. Remember that there is always the possibility of getting into port late as well. Do you know how long it would take for a taxi to get to the airport from the port and availability of taxis? Sounds like a difficult decision - worrying about making the plane versus 'ugly' other options. Good luck.

There are lots of Taxi's available. I was on Carnival's Freedom in March. We had hired a private driver for 8:30, but our deck was called about 7am!! very long cold wait, not a very comfortable port. Anyway the airport is about ~2 hours from the port, but the Rome airport is not a very travel friendly place. Very long lines, not many English speakers (or not willing)

For me it wouldn't be the trip to the airport as much as the chance that things will be slow at the airport (Oh! and don't forget about numerous transportation strikes in Italy!!!!!) I wouldn't want that amount of stress at the end of a great couple of weeks

Personally, I wouldn't book that early. We stood in line longer than it took us to get there. As stated before, the lines are long once you get there. And the airport people are not friendly. We were in line to check in. An attendent came by and asked what time our flight was, told her, and said we were not suppose to be in line until a certain time. About a half hour before we were to get in line, we got in line. If we hadn't, not sure we would have made flight. Also, make sure you are in the right line. There is no rhime or reason on the way they do lines. Be sure to ask a couple of people if you are in the right line.

For flights out of Rome or any European airport, for flights to the US, you need to be AT the airport at least three hours before departure. That means you have to leave the ship by no later than 6:30am, and I don't think that's possible. You've not experienced an airport like Da Vinci. The lines are insane for both check in and security and then the lines for Italian Customs. You really need those 3 hours. And, you need to be in your seat no later than 15 minutes before your flights depart, or else the cancel your reservation. They don't mean be in the departure area, but IN your seats on the plane at least 15 minutes before departure. I wouldn't do a flight before 1pm out of Rome unless you're staying over one night.

We sailed Carnival Freedom 2 weeks ago and flew out of Rome. They were calling people off the ship starting at 6:20 am. Just because you have been called does not mean you have to leave. We were called about 8:10 but our car wasn't coming until 9:00 we got off at 8:40 and were in the car by 8:55am. We arrived at FCO at 9:35am (they drive fast in Italy and no traffic between port and FCO on a Saturday). It took 3 1/2 HOURS to check in at the ticket counter, 10 minutes to get to gate, and boarding took at least 30-40 minutes due to many seating problems. So I recommend allowing at least 3-4 hours JUST AT THE AIRPORT, better yet stay an extra day or two and avoid flying the same day a cruise ship disembarks. Getting to the airport shouldn't take more than an hour tops with an Italian driver.

Melissa

Archived