Carnival w/11 mo and 3 year old

cruzinmomma

Sailing on the conquest 11/25/07.

Ports are:

Montego Bay

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

My first cruise ever, will be myself (29), my mom (50), and my two daughters, 3 and almost 1.

I have heard so much about the unsafety of Jamaica. What is it like to get to Sunset Beach? Is it close and safe? How about Grand Cayman? I'd like to do the turtle farm and beach, but our ship doesn't offer such an excursion and I am clueless as to how to strike out on our own. How do you proceed if you don't book it through the ship (as Sunset Beach is not a ship excursion either).

We were thinking Xcarta for Cozumel.

Any hints, tips, etc. for a newbie with little ones? Are people going to make ugly faces at me for bringing my 1 year old to dinner b/c she is too young for kids camp? (She is very well behaved). What about formal night? Just skip it or dress the baby up? And will my 3 year old be able to eat dinner in the kids camp or does she come with us?

Can little ones swim in swim diapers on carnival ships?

Sorry to have so many questions, thanks for your help!

You will have so much fun! Let me see if I can help with some of your questions.

Mo Bay - The last time we cruised to Mo Bay, I chose NOT to get off the ship. I looked at it this way, if we went to Sunset Beach resort (and the place is nice, my family members came back and I saw all of their pictures) then I would be at a resort with a pool. OR I could stay on a ship with a pool and it would be very quiet cause everyone would be off the ship. :)

Grand Caymen turtle farm, it's odd they don't offer this excursion through Carnival. Wonder why? Maybe it could be sold out? Usually the turtle farm is part of about 5 different excursions.

As far as dinner, bring the kids. Nothing is cuter than a baby in formal wear. :) We make sure our kids are always with us at dinner. Then after dinner, they head to Camp.

Pools, NO swim diapers and no kids who aren't fully potty trained in any ship pool (even the children's pool). You can bring an inflatable with you. There are many threads about that here...just look around and you will get tips on how to do it.

Thanks for the advice! I hate that the turtle farm and beach are not offered through the ship. Do you think we would be ok to get a cab and try to do it on our own, or should we just do the beach thru the ship? Which beach do you suggest at GC?

Thanks!

I hope its not too hard to get around GC. The only excursion thru the ship is to Stingray city, hell, and the turtle farm. I really just wanted to do the turtle farm and the beach. We may just do the beach if the turtle farm is hard to get to by cab. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I hope its not too hard to get around GC. The only excursion thru the ship is to Stingray city, hell, and the turtle farm. I really just wanted to do the turtle farm and the beach. We may just do the beach if the turtle farm is hard to get to by cab. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Grand Caymen is an easy port to get around. I can't remember the name of the beach that everyone recomends though. Did you try the Ports Of Call board? They always have great advice there.

Being in Grand Caymen is like being in a rich little European town. It is pretty easy to catch a cab there and go anywhere. And there is loads of shopping/touristy type restaurants (like Hard Rock Cafe) right within walking distance of the ship.

On my western caribbean cruise last year, my tablemates took a cab to Paradise Beach in Cozumel (with their 18-month-old daughter) and had a great time. I think I would definitely consider that for my next trip to Cozumel with little ones.

I definitely agree with dressing up the kiddos and taking them to dinner, especially if they are well-behaved. We kind of played it by ear daily, sometimes my son goes to the kids club, sometimes stays with us, sometimes we go to the buffet. We just see how the day is flowing.

My advice is don't stress out, stay relaxed, and don't try to do a bunch of ship activities. If you can go with the flow you'll have a wonderful time.

Shellie

OP, I just came across this thread on the Carnival board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=641120 from someone who sailed with her 5 kids (including 5 yo triplets :eek: ) on the Conquest. They went to Sunset Beach in Jamaica. It sounds like she had a wonderful time. You might get some helpful answers from her.

On my western caribbean cruise last year, my tablemates took a cab to Paradise Beach in Cozumel (with their 18-month-old daughter) and had a great time. I think I would definitely consider that for my next trip to Cozumel with little ones.

I definitely agree with dressing up the kiddos and taking them to dinner, especially if they are well-behaved. We kind of played it by ear daily, sometimes my son goes to the kids club, sometimes stays with us, sometimes we go to the buffet. We just see how the day is flowing.

My advice is don't stress out, stay relaxed, and don't try to do a bunch of ship activities. If you can go with the flow you'll have a wonderful time.

Shellie

I know that we are definately going to take my youngest, and we will play it by ear with my oldest. She is usually well behaved for about an hour, then starts getting really antsy. We'll see!

Archived