Are Formal Nights REALLY Formal?

njbrunete

You always have the buffet which serves good food. But a sport coat will be fine on the ship.

I have sailed Costa a few times and found everything on ship. A few Tux and dinner jackets, a few suits, many sports coats and slacks. And yes even a few people without a tie. But I can't remember shorts or jeans at dinner.

Don

Hello all traveling on Costa Cruise! I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is mandatory for men to wear a suit and tie on these nights? Or are they more layed back on this cruise line? THANKS!

We always have dinner in the diningroom and I didn't see anyone without at least a sportsjacket. Lorelle

depends on the age group, younger men, late teens to early 20's, tend to wear a dress shirt, slacks and tie on formal night.

For women I think there is a little more leeway. No need for a very formal gown, something nice like what one would wear to an evening wedding is fine, a little bit of sparkle goes a long way and all lengths are acceptable. Saw way more cocktail type dresses than long gowns.

from my experience and others i've read, costa tends to be more dressy with more people sticking to the rules.

i would recommend a suit, if you dont have one get a sport jacket and a tie.

evening/cocktail dresses for the ladies...

i always find formal night fun, but if you dont have or dont want to purchase formal attire, or just dont like getting dressed up, you can always go to the buffet :)

from my experience and others i've read, costa tends to be more dressy with more people sticking to the rules.

i would recommend a suit, if you dont have one get a sport jacket and a tie.

evening/cocktail dresses for the ladies...

i always find formal night fun, but if you dont have or dont want to purchase formal attire, or just dont like getting dressed up, you can always go to the buffet :)

I disagree. Costa isn't any more dressy than any other line. IMHO I think Costa is not as dressy as lets say Princess.

Don

Well, from personal experience I can tell you that Costa suggests using the buffet if you dont want to wear a suit. On our first cruise we booked air thru costa and the connections were impossible. Our luggage didnt catch up to us until after the first formal night. Even though our lost luggage was their fault, we were advised to go to the buffet on formal night, so we did. (They allowed our boys to wear their jeans on other nights, until we got our luggage.)

Now we know to fly in early and book our own flights

• 2 weeks later...

I think on a whole people are more casual and relaxed these days with formal nights. I recall being on Costa 10 years ago: most fellow passengers would dress up for the formal night dinners, particularly those of the older generation. Most men wore suits with ties, ladies looking elegant in their evening dresses.

These days a lot of men, especially the younger group, would not even bother with a jacket. Often they wear just long-sleeved shirts and trousers. I do have to admit that a lot of such gear is designer stuff and look very chic indeed. Last year I saw a few English couples in tuxedo and evening gowns, and they did look a bit out of place compared with the majority of the passengers there.

As an old-fashioned guy, I still wear a suit for the formal evenings, but have learnt to do away with the tie, just a dress shirt will do!

I love how Costa handles the Formal Nights: They will openly tell you that it's YOUR cruise... so you should enjoy your cruise as YOU would like to.

On all previous three Costa cruises we have seen a variety of different outfits during the two Formal Nights: tuxedos and evening gowns, dark suites and cocktail dresses, combinations, and dress slack with dress shirt and tie to a more casual dress. Anything is allowed with the exception of jeans/denim, tank tops, t-shirts and/or shorts. If you wish to wear "casual", you might want to consider the alternative dining option, the buffet on deck 9 during those nights. We have indeed seen people being turned away at the dining room doors as they wanted to go in with jeans and t-shirt...

There are some theme nights, such as Red, White & Green Night (wear the Tricolore (Italian National Colors) if you wish) and of course the Bacchanal Party, where (if you like) go to dinner in your toga! Awesome! Don't miss it - and bring your camera!!! :-) TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!!!!

Otherwise... enjoy as you please! It's your vacation and your cruise!

Have a wonderful cruise...

Andy

Archived