Shopping advice for Italian gold in Florence

Hi All; :confused:

Does anyone have any good advice for a first time trip to Italy with regards to finding good deals on Italian gold Necklace and bracelets? We are taking our 35th wedding anniversary cruise in 2008 and would like to buy some genuine Italian gold there.

BOB:)

This bridge is lined with wonderful jewelry stores selling gold pieces of every variety. Unlike the islands with the Indians pricing evrything 3-4 times the actual price here you will find great quality and original design. There may be a little bargaining but don't think you will buy at half price or less.

Does anyone have any good advice for a first time trip to Italy with regards to finding good deals on Italian gold Necklace and bracelets? We are taking our 35th wedding anniversary cruise in 2008 and would like to buy some genuine Italian gold there.

You will find all kinds of jewelry stores in Italy..I am not sure about finding "good deals" however with the Euro vs the Dollar.If you are going to Florence check out Pont Vecchio of course,but know there are a lot of other shops as well not on the bridge. Know your pricing of gold before you go just to have some idea,and if you see somethiong you really like just buy it is my best advice.You may never see it again or you will see all over,but if you liked it and want it then get it and just plain enjoy it.

It's been awhile since I was in Florence, but I purchased an absolutely beautiful and unique gold filigree bacelet at a shop on the Ponte Vecchio called the Bridge Gallery (that's the name on my receipt/VAT refund papers, but I'm not sure that the name on the outside of the shop was in English, so maybe look for Galleria Ponte or something like that). It was in the middle of the bridge, one of the four shops on the "corner" of that open square in the center of the span. I'm recommending them because their salespeople were so friendly (really willing to take endless numbers of pieces out of the case for me to look at) and they had such unique merchandise. Also, they were incredibly prompt in mailing to me whatever the VAT refund paperwork was (I have drawn a total mental blank as to the VAT process -- senior moment!) .

While looking for something else earlier today, I spotted something and remembered this thread. Check out the link on gold and jewels at http://www.firenzeturismo.it and see if it helps any.

You will find some absolutly beautiful gold jewlery in Florence. You will not however find any deals. The euro is very strong and our American dollar is quite weak. If you find something that you just have to have to remind you of your trip then by all means get it! But there are no bargains out there Sorry.

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Florence now. I think that if you find something that is a little unusual and that you love, that is when to buy,. I just bought a pair of earings on the Ponte Vecchio and they weren't a bargain, but I hadn't seen anything like them at home. As everyone knows, our dollar isn't worth much against the Euro. The shopping is fun even if you don't buy.

Joan

Hi All:)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I'm not really looking for real bargains as much as memorable pieces. On our return from our Voyager cruise this past Easter, we came home to a dead furnace, and we had been burglarized. They targeted my son mainly, suspect kids, for his x-box, ipod, elec guitars etc! But they also took all of my wife's jewelry!! Including antique pieces given to her by her grandmother, My graduation watch from my late mother, etc!!! So I am looking to try and replace some of these irreplacable pieces for our 35th anniversary. Again, thanks for all the help.

Hi All:)

Thanks to everyone for all the advice! I'm not really looking for real bargains as much as memorable pieces. On our return from our Voyager cruise this past Easter, we came home to a dead furnace, and we had been burglarized. They targeted my son mainly, suspect kids, for his x-box, ipod, elec guitars etc! But they also took all of my wife's jewelry!! Including antique pieces given to her by her grandmother, My graduation watch from my late mother, etc!!! So I am looking to try and replace some of these irreplacable pieces for our 35th anniversary. Again, thanks for all the help.

I am sorry for your loss re the burglary...I do hope your police dept.has sent a report and all the Pawn shops around and not even close to where you live as well as the usual places they may check..you may not get the kids stuff back,but the jewelry just may show up.Used to be one of my jobs as a cicilian working for the police dept here in MD.(If the have not then you may want to see if any of them have the items...will take some time,but may pay off)Anyway,You will find some very unique pieces in Italy that is for sure.I don't think most people were saying you would find any bargains with euro and the price of gold that is why I said before if you see something you really like then just buy it,but for just the usual do know what you can replace here re the dollar.I really do hope you get some of your pieces back even if takes some months!!

Archived