Broadways The Lion King in Honolulu

Waimeajoe

Just to let you who are coming know. The Lion King production is in Honolulu till Dec. 9th. For those who haven't made it to New York to see it. This could be a good time to go. Unreal production. It's at our concert hall which is a short cab ride from the ship or Waikiki. Check ticketmaster.com for tickets or call the Blaisdell Box Office (808) 591-2211 .

Weekdays (Tue, Wed, Thur) are better (and a little cheaper) than weekends.

I would like to add (with only a small amount of modesty) that I work as an usher at the Blaisdell complex and so have seen this production more than once and it is great. The opening of the first act still knocks my socks off.

Pete

Hi, Pete,

Sound words of advice - week days are always cheaper and easier to get than weekends, but you might have to deal with swings (alternate actors/actress as the key player will frequently rest for a couple of days after the weekend) The box office will tell you that - if you ask..

Did they have to modify your theater for the show? We lost a hundred seats just for the parade of the animals in the opening. Still, it did well enough that they are bringing it back next year for another run... not as well as "Jersey Boys" did though...

Charlie

I can't wait. We are debating on trying to go dec 1st either 2 or 8pm. The dilemma we are having is if we chose 2 pm show. Do we have time to go to pearl harbor, the flea market, to the hotel quick fast food bite and then the lion king OR we do the 8 pm after the xmas parade.

Hi, Pete,

Sound words of advice - week days are always cheaper and easier to get than weekends, but you might have to deal with swings (alternate actors/actress as the key player will frequently rest for a couple of days after the weekend) The box office will tell you that - if you ask..

The only "main character" substitution that I've seen was last night when the understudy for Sarabi (Simba's mother) was on.

Did they have to modify your theater for the show? We lost a hundred seats just for the parade of the animals in the opening. Still, it did well enough that they are bringing it back next year for another run... not as well as "Jersey Boys" did though...

Yes, they did. We normally had outside aisles and they made two extra aisles partway inside.

It started about a month ago and is still pretty well sold out (8 performances a week). There are still a few tickets available for most performances.

It's good to see an outside production doing so well. There was an article in one of the local papers recently about the community theaters (of which there are at least three major ones in the area) feeling a hit from Lion King sales. The hope is that after seeing Lion King, people will appreciate live theater and go out and support the community theaters.

Last year (or the year before) we were supposed to have a Moving Out tour production here. I even bought tickets for my wife and myself online and printed them (at extra cost) only to have the production cancel and, while we got the base cost of the tickets refunded, we didn't get the "processing and ticket fees" back.

Thanks for the info, Pete! As I said before, ours did well enough that it's coming back next year. Frankly, I would have been happier if they'd brought back "Jersery Boys", but they don't ask me. Well, they do, but my voice doesn't carry much weight.

Wow - eight shows a week with no swings? Talk about work horsing the actors! Ours feel abused with one show a night and M-W off.

The hardest thing about theater is getting the local folks to support it - you are right about that. However, when you have shows cancelling, that a shot in the foot for the local venue. The promoters seem to think that by refunding money that will make everything all right, but it's heck to pay because many customers will blame the local theater.

I made this offer before on another post, but if you'd like to just 'talk' theater, send me an e mail at charliekirby@comcast.net. I got stories that will put your hair on end!

Cheers and have a great run!

Charlie

Archived