Transfers

Chesie

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject? I have been getting mixed info. We purchased transfers to/from ship in Rome. We want to book our own air. Are there any limitations that Princess puts on when we can arrive/depart in order to get the transfer?

Thanks ahead.

Chesie

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject? I have been getting mixed info. We purchased transfers to/from ship in Rome. We want to book our own air. Are there any limitations that Princess puts on when we can arrive/depart in order to get the transfer? Thanks ahead.

Chesie

They will generally have a recommendation to not book a flight before a certain hour. It takes a set amount of time to disembark, get through customs, load the bus, drive the distance, unload.... so you have sufficient time to make your flight. On the other end they probably do not care how late you flight will be because you will be off the ship mid morning at the latest and on your way. Sometimes for folks that have flights later in the afternoon or evening they may offer a tour that will culminate at the airport.

10:45 should be ok. However, you never know about traffic. Also, watch the time on the flight, airlines like to change them. We had a flight out of Rome to Atlanta, that startd at 10:45, but is now 10:00. Fortunately, we were already planning a night in Rome, so it is not a problem.

I'm looking at a departure of 10:45 am from Rome to JFK. Cutting it too close?

Chesie

It might be a little too close. The transfer from the ship to the airport is about 90 minutes, and if the traffic is bad..... I would go for a flight from 12PM on since you are supposed to be there 2 hours early. For a noon flight, you should be there at 10AM, and with a 90 minute transfer, you would have to be off the ship before 8:30AM. I would definitely book the later flight. I know there are 1 and 2PM flights nonstip into JFK from FCO.

As far as arrival, there is really no limitations for transfers except that you shouldn't arrive too early as there will be no one there to get you. They try to schedule the transfers for when they can both drop off and pick up so arrivals in mid morning to early after noon are best.

This may seem obvious but I want to point out that if your flight has a mechanical problem or is cancelled for some other reason you will miss your ship. Further misplaced/lost luggage in Europe especially has been running at record highs...something else that would further delay you. Why not, for a trip like this spring for the night in a hotel and go in at least one day early. You'll give yourself a chance to get adjusted to the time change, be more well rested and more able to enjoy your cruise right from the beginning. IF you stay at an airport hotel, you could still use the princess transfers by returning to the airport. They might even be running transfers from your hotel. Check it out. Peace of mind...priceless.

Archived