Snorkling

john2003

I am reposting this as I had it in the Snorkling thread and lots of reads but no answers.

Where would be recommended from the normal cruise ship stops (NCL LA - Acapulco) for snorkling. We don't go to Mazatlan. We have never been there and my expectation is that it will be less exciting than some other areas we have been in the Caribbean and further afield. I also gather that Jelly fish can be an issue. Is there any difference north/south in that regard. i.e. less or more likely in Acapulco than Cabo?

As there will be five of us recommendations for independent trips would also be appreciated, rather than the cruise ship tours.

Depending on the weather snorkeling in Cabo can be pretty good but not as good as in the Caribbean (warmer waters). We have been several times and like to go on our own to Bahia Santa Maria so from the cruise I would suggest the Sun Rider boat. They have a four hour outing from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM or it might be 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM. Inlcudes open bar, soft drinks and a very good carne asada lunch after snorkeling. Boat leaves from the marina and gets to Santa Maria Bay in about 1/2 hour or so. Anchors for snorkeling for about an hour and then stays in the bay for lunch before cruising back to the marina. Our crew was very friendly and one of the guys played the guitar and sang on the ride home. We purchased this excursion on our own and it was about $35.00 per person as I recall.

Sorry I forgot to answer about the jellyfish. I suppose they could be there if the water were warm enough but I have never seen jellyfish in Cabo and I've been there ten times. Only went to Acapulco once many years ago so can't really say although we didn't see them then.

jaxgirl - sounds like a great excursion.

As far as jellyfish... we were on the Snorkel & Sail Fiesta that stopped out at Pelican Rock (or something like that) and as we got called in, I was near some rocks and did get a small sting on my hand. It was not the worst thing I have ever felt, but it wasn't pleasant either. This was in June. And I wasn't even sure it was a jellyfish sting until I showed it to Randi the next day is Mazatlan!

Jellyfish get to be more of a problem the farther south you go. Mazatlan and even more so in PV.

Archived