Please be smart and careful when staying in downtown miami

LegalCat

It's too bad this happened, but it's a city like any big city. I wouldn't venture out in Downtown Detroit after dusk and at 1:00 in the morning you better be prepared for trouble.

Sure its like any big city... but a lot of people from here stay exactly in that very area if they are doing a downtown Miami pre hotel. This is the Bayside area by the way...

Downtown miami is not people friendly after dark, its a work district and not a night life friendly district as much as they wish it was

The above advice is good, this September whilst we were in Miami pre Cruise a European Tourist was shot dead.

With America now the Capital of World Card fraud,( BBC News) our Cards were cloned on both visits this year, they dont have chip and pin, and the retailers do not seem to even care about the basics like checking signatures, it is wide open for fraud so beware, regards

The above advice is good, this September whilst we were in Miami pre Cruise a European Tourist was shot dead.

With America now the Capital of World Card fraud,( BBC News) our Cards were cloned on both visits this year, they dont have chip and pin, and the retailers do not seem to even care about the basics like checking signatures, it is wide open for fraud so beware, regards

No one here cares about signatures on cards generally... all of my credit cards have the signature line blacked out with a permanent marker so there is no signature on them and they never ask me for id..even at Publix grocery store which has a policy NOT to accept an unsigned credit card.. (it cant be blank, blacked out or even say "Check ID" - it must be actually signed) .. they never even look at my card let alone ID...

Thanks for that info. This will be our first time in Miami. My b/f may or may not know the good and bad areas as he is a truck driver but I would have been completely unaware of this. And would have prob been out or went out n the area as that is the area I was going for hotels in. However can you please advised what are the best hotel areas that may include nightlife..

Also just a thought if you have not already. But this would be a ggod article to post in the east coast departure board as well..

Thanks for that info. This will be our first time in Miami. My b/f may or may not know the good and bad areas as he is a truck driver but I would have been completely unaware of this. And would have prob been out or went out n the area as that is the area I was going for hotels in. However can you please advised what are the best hotel areas that may include nightlife..

Also just a thought if you have not already. But this would be a ggod article to post in the east coast departure board as well..

Downtown miami is NOT a party area... there are a couple of clubs in downtown Miami, none are within walking distance from any hotel and are full of thugs and crime.. my husband is in law enforcement and I wouldnt consider setting foot in any of those clubs any more... if you want hotel AND night life within walking you will need to look at miami beach/south beach or coconut grove... both are much safer than downtown miami...

Downtown is really a business district, most businesses are closed by the end of the day and locked up... I work about a block from where this rape happened - yes there is bayside but frankly its just a bunch of little shops and a few restaurants... its not a place to go to party... I understand that people coming from out of town want to go there because its somet hing to do in downtown, but I wouldnt risk my safety for it...

If you want to stay in downtown you can take a taxi or a rental car if you have one and go to the beach or to coconut grove to go to the clubs and bars.. I would avoid clubs in the downtown warehouse district (ie Space, Metropolis etc) which frequently have shootings and fights etc...

These things happen everywhere, especially in large cities.. but downtown Miami is not tourist friendly or even locals friendly after 6 pm... a lot of homeless walking the streets etc...

downtown miami after dark has always been a place to exercise great caution. but bayside is really on the outskirts of downtown and is usually well patrolled. this isn't great news.

good post considering many cruisers stay in the bayside area and venture over there at night.

Downtown miami is NOT a party area... there are a couple of clubs in downtown Miami, none are within walking distance from any hotel and are full of thugs and crime.. my husband is in law enforcement and I wouldnt consider setting foot in any of those clubs any more... if you want hotel AND night life within walking you will need to look at miami beach/south beach or coconut grove... both are much safer than downtown miami...

Downtown is really a business district, most businesses are closed by the end of the day and locked up... I work about a block from where this rape happened - yes there is bayside but frankly its just a bunch of little shops and a few restaurants... its not a place to go to party... I understand that people coming from out of town want to go there because its somet hing to do in downtown, but I wouldnt risk my safety for it...

If you want to stay in downtown you can take a taxi or a rental car if you have one and go to the beach or to coconut grove to go to the clubs and bars.. I would avoid clubs in the downtown warehouse district (ie Space, Metropolis etc) which frequently have shootings and fights etc...

These things happen everywhere, especially in large cities.. but downtown Miami is not tourist friendly or even locals friendly after 6 pm... a lot of homeless walking the streets etc...

Thanks for that.. I will look into those areas.. Yea it happens everywhere I am just glad I was forewarned and did not book a hotel as of yet. thats at least now I actually know where to book a hotel as to I was heading the downtown area cause I was unaware of really where the best spot was so I thought downtown you couldnt go wrong.. I see I was wrong.. ;)

But you have been very helpful and informative. thanks, Now I can book a hotel with ease.. How far are these area from the port?

Not sure what type of clubbing you are looking to do. If you are just looking to relax & have a few drinks& listen to some live music look into the Courtyard by Marriott Downtown or Airport South. Both of these hotels had entertainment in their bars each time we stayed there.

This is very interesting, I wonder if that crime had happenend, let's say for instance, in Jamaica or any other islands: how many of you on this board would be saying that it is time that the cruisehips pull out of that perticular port because of safety. To be fair, should we ask the cruiseships to pull out of Miami, to protect cruisers, and move to Fort Meyers?

downtown miami after dark has always been a place to exercise great caution. but bayside is really on the outskirts of downtown and is usually well patrolled. this isn't great news.

good post considering many cruisers stay in the bayside area and venture over there at night.

Working right down the street I really wouldnt consider bayside on the outskirts... downtown has really changed and we are now full of highrise buildings etc.. bayside is really midtown now and while its definately well lit and semi-well patrolled, its only directly across the street from the main downtown business area... even if you park in the garage which is large and not really patrolled... at least not during the day.. .or you might park in street parking thats actually where these people were held up at gunpoint.. in the street parking for bayside outside of the bayside area...

It's too bad this happened, but it's a city like any big city. I wouldn't venture out in Downtown Detroit after dusk and at 1:00 in the morning you better be prepared for trouble.

I disagree. I live in a big city, Dallas. I also lived for 13 years or so in S. Florida and even friends I have closer do not drive in many areas of Miami by themselves during the day time.

Its not like every other big city. Cruisers do need to be aware its not safe there and make sure they stay in safe areas. Dont be naive and say well something could happen anywhere, some areas ARE less safe and Miami is one imo. Take it from a local.

This is very interesting, I wonder if that crime had happenend, let's say for instance, in Jamaica or any other islands: how many of you on this board would be saying that it is time that the cruisehips pull out of that perticular port because of safety. To be fair, should we ask the cruiseships to pull out of Miami, to protect cruisers, and move to Fort Meyers?

This kind of crime happens every where... the purpose of my post wasnt to try to say that Carnival should move out of downtown, simply to show whats currently going on, the guy wasnt caught, hes still out there, and for people to be careful... actually the port is probably safer than downtown, lol, its way across that bridge and actually has significant police presense...

I disagree. I live in a big city, Dallas. I also lived for 13 years or so in S. Florida and even friends I have closer do not drive in many areas of Miami by themselves during the day time.

Its not like every other big city. Cruisers do need to be aware its not safe there and make sure they stay in safe areas. Dont be naive and say well something could happen anywhere, some areas ARE less safe and Miami is one imo. Take it from a local.

Exactly... I've lived in Miami since 1989 and I work in downtown about 2 blocks from Bayside... my husband is in law enforcement in Miami and there are certain areas even he is cautious about going into... there are areas I dont feel safe driving too and some places if I must go, I make sure to go with him. Downtown Miami is a great place to work, a lot of activity during the day... bustling city as far as people goign to work are concerned... but people have this idea of Miami nightlife and that has nothing to do with downtown Miami... they are trying to revive downtown Miami to make it more tourist friendly etc... but thats no where near realistic yet...

Jamaica is another country. The laws are different there.

Ft. MYERS has crime, too. (but not like Miami) I like the idea of a port there, as it is closer to me.:)

-won't bite on your gibberish, or attempts to inflame, bigger than that, sorry:mad: In the US, predators are sought out and attempted to be reigned in by police. As in comparison to Jamaica, where the police are in on it and take high paying kick backs into crimes against foreigners. No matter how inneficient the US may be at apprehending, the attempts remain true. You make a mockery out of an unjust crime to justify yourself. Your political side has shown through. I doubt many can stand by your justifications. IMHO

carol

-won't bite on your gibberish, or attempts to inflame, bigger than that, sorry:mad: In the US, predators are sought out and attempted to be reigned in by police. As in comparison to Jamaica, where the police are in on it and take high paying kick backs into crimes against foreigners. No matter how inneficient the US may be at apprehending, the attempts remain true. You make a mockery out of an unjust crime to justify yourself. Your political side has shown through. I doubt many can stand by your justifications. IMHO

carol

I wonder who's making into a bigger story, what does politics have to do with this? I was just making an obsevation. A crime is crime, it does not matter where it happened.

layoff that coolaid, too early in the morning

:cool:

Crime is every where you go there is never going to be a way to avoid it. I understand what you are saying because I have read those threads to but I dont think this is the same thread Ijust think this is an informative thread to make tourist aware of what happened. I am appreciative of this info as I stated me not knowing would have walked head first into that area. Not saying just because of this incident but just the area in general. Like here where I live I go out club and all is good but I know there are certain areas as well as clubs that need to be avoided for my safety.

PS) I also am plannig a land vac to Jamaica and again from me not knowing again prob would have walked head first in.And my first warning was a friend telling me if we are going to a resort to stay in the resort do not go out by ourselves. As well as I have read info on this board.

But I say you have to use common sense everywhere u go, and if its something you would not normally do in your own neighborhood then dont go somewhere you are completely unaware of and think you can do it. But it does help to know. And as far as Jamaica I dont think cruise ships should pull out I just think if they know the area and incidentes that has happened. there should be more safety or maybe resort only excursions involved.. But also you have to look at it as Jamaica's main prey of crime also is tourist. as in Miami is just a big city with a part area of high crime.

Working right down the street I really wouldnt consider bayside on the outskirts... downtown has really changed and we are now full of highrise buildings etc.. bayside is really midtown now and while its definately well lit and semi-well patrolled, its only directly across the street from the main downtown business area... even if you park in the garage which is large and not really patrolled... at least not during the day.. .or you might park in street parking thats actually where these people were held up at gunpoint.. in the street parking for bayside outside of the bayside area...

i lived down there for 31/2 years and never truly considered that area "downtown." but, i see what you are saying. then again, i was also always hangin in coconut grove or south beach (the clevelander, of course) with an occasional visit to bayside when friends and family came to town.

As a long time Miami resident I can say that there are parts of this town where I don't go at night --- just like there are parts of Dallas, LA, Boston, Paris, London, Berlin, Rome, etc, etc, etc. where I won't go at night (and some in the daytime)

Having lived here all my adult life and traveled all over the world during that time (250,000 miles or more a year) I can tell you it is no different than any other medium to large city anywhere in the world. I get tired of people throwing rocks at Miami --- "nothing like this would happen in MY city" --- yet somehow...

Dallas/Ft. Worth MSA

Pop 5.569 million --- Murder 6.9/100,000 --- Rape 34.7/100,000

Miami/FLL MSA

Pop 5.327 million --- Murder 6.3/100,000 --- Rape 35.5/100,000

Phoenix/Scottsdale MSA

Pop 3.579 million --- Murder 9.2/100,000 --- Rape 32.5/100,000

Source FBI crime stats 2003 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_03/xl/03tbl06.xls)

Is Miami/Dallas/Phoenix safe/dangerous? Yes and No. Actually NYC does far "better' than all these places.

Archived