I need to butter up my Steward...

LegalCat

Hey I'm not shy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLL

Depends on if he (or she, LOL) is to our tastes... lol

LMAO...I wasn't suggesting money...rather, something a little more "material".....literally....

LMAO...I wasn't suggesting money...rather, something a little more "material".....literally....

as truecruiser said, neither was I, lol....

hard to know what to bring when you dont know if its going to be a guy or a girl?

When I first make it to my cabin, if I don't see the cabin steward I call him/her, this will rings their pager and they will show up in no time, at that time I request Wendy's 30 Pillows and our 2 buckets of ice. We get those items after dinner. Then after day 3 is when I slip the cabin steward a $20 spot. I don't say that it was for his/hers service, I say its to go out and have a drink during one of the ports that they have off.

Fred

:p

I have my first ever balcony coming up. Not wanting to be a grouch or anything, but I really hope my neighbors aren't "party central" or I'm going to be a little disappointed. I'm hoping my balcony will provide some nice, peaceful, away-from-the-crowds relaxation.

But I'm sure no CC person would dream of annoying a fellow cruiser, would they? ;)

I have to agree here. Pretty disappointing when the cabin next door becomes a problem. A small gathering for a drink or two before dinner that's great, I'll be doing the same. But why would you want to make a small cabin "party central" when there are so many other "party" choices on the ship?

I wrote a note introducing myself, asked for certain simple things (soft side ice chest full of ice... clean glasses...) and stapled on a twenty dollar bill.

I had FANTASTIC service all week.

You also have a fantastic attitude. No surpise your service was the way it was.

I had the best service ever on my cruise. Cannot wait to go again. :p

Is there somewhere on the ship I might be able to get ice for myself should the steward not be able to fill my bucket regularly? Just reading all this got me thinking... I would imagine, that with so many passengers to look after, the stewards must be run off their feet providing for everyone. I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but was wondering if I could get stuff (like the ice) for myself?

Thanks!

Dee

Woohoo!!! Where is the party at?

You said you're going to take soda and water on board, you're not going to even try to take some alcohol either??

Actually on every other cruise Ive always taken alcohol... we spend enough at bars pre dinner and poolside etc.. anyway but I always like to have a little something for enjoying on the balcony etc... this time its 8 single women (me included)... I had said that everyone was responsible for bringing something, some had to bring alcohol and some soda etc... well they all decided they were too lazy to even try so asked if they could each give me $40 and I would order the booze... so $280 cash later... more than enough even at Carnivals somewhat inflated prices... works for me, I dont have to worry about girls not bringing anything, or about stuff getting confiscated...

Oh to the other person who mentioned about rowdy people next door, I just wanted to reiterate that we will be only rowdy to an extent and being a frequent cruiser I would never ever do anything to cause ANY problems or another cruiser... that being said... anyone is welcome to come join us for drinks on the October 19 sailing of the Fascination :)

I have to agree here. Pretty disappointing when the cabin next door becomes a problem. A small gathering for a drink or two before dinner that's great, I'll be doing the same. But why would you want to make a small cabin "party central" when there are so many other "party" choices on the ship?

I assure you we are all grown up and responsible and I would never ever do anything to ruin anyone elses vacation, I see nothing wrong with having a party in our room AND OTHER PLACES as long as its done in a way that wont disturb others, which we WON'T :)

I'm quite capable of handling myself in a way that wont be a problem for other people..

Is there somewhere on the ship I might be able to get ice for myself should the steward not be able to fill my bucket regularly? Just reading all this got me thinking... I would imagine, that with so many passengers to look after, the stewards must be run off their feet providing for everyone. I don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, but was wondering if I could get stuff (like the ice) for myself?

Thanks!

Dee

Dee,

once my DH attempted to get ice himself and the steward was very upset that we might not be happy with his service. We always had more ice than we could use after that. Poor guy!:o

Just ask your cabin steward where the pantry is; this is a small room on each deck for the room service guys to get last minute stuff--especially ice. Sometimes the steward might think it is odd that a passenger wants to self service. When this happens, I just reassure them that I will 'take care of them' at the end of the cruise and finish with a joke about being high maintenance. Never had any issue after that. Guess the cabin steward/room service staff compare notes later...hahaha

What the Stewards will do today is give you one of those white plastic Beer in a bucket "bucket" that hold more ice, this alone will last you the whole day. The steward will replenish the ice daily when they make your cabin.

Fred

Any clothes that I leave behind are left in a bag with a note:

Clothes for Room Steward from Itty. dated and signed. and give this bag personly to them.

Do I get What I want all the time, No but the majority of the time I have great service.

Itty

You gave your room steward a bag of dirty laundry for a tip?

You gave your room steward a bag of dirty laundry for a tip?

That's what I was thinking too! Even if the clothes were clean, they're used, right? I would never dream of giving used clothing to my room steward. Money is what they need/want. Not used clothes, hats, or other "gifts."

Thank you to all who replied to my question about whether I could replenish my own ice bucket! Being new to all this cruising stuff, I don't want to offend or step on any steward toes, or be forced to walk the plank for going places I am not supposed to go! lol

Dee:o

That's what I was thinking too! Even if the clothes were clean, they're used, right? I would never dream of giving used clothing to my room steward. Money is what they need/want. Not used clothes, hats, or other "gifts."

I thought the same thing also!

Thats offensive!

I think it really depends on the steward. Some think the up front tip is all they will see.

Some say that it's a insult to tip up front as it gives the impression that you don't think you will get good service without tipping up front.

I've tipped up front and found that it helps to say something like, "We know that you work hard and we are probably going to need some extra services during the cruise like (extra ice, towels, mints......). Here's a little something up front for your additional assistance. This is in addition to the automatic tip. We are really looking forward to having a great time. Thanks."

This makes it clear that you appreciate their services and that you don't plan to short change them.

As far as the pantry it really depends on the ship / steward. We are used to getting our own ice but on the Spirit in July we couldn't get into the pantry at times (it was locked) and one time when I attempted to go in I was told that they preferred that they get it. That's not to say I didn't get our ice - I did. Just not when they were in there.

Friends of ours wanted to do something similar on the Mariner (party central in their Grand Suite). They found that the best place to get trays of clean glasses from was room service, NOT the steward, who isn't always available. They actually ordered mixers from room service, which they had to pay for, (grapefruit juice, tomato juice, tonic, things like that), and requested trays of clean glasses AND ice be delivered with it.

The extra tips were given to the room service people, rather than the steward. My advice is to wait until you see which way works best for you, then tip accordingly. If you tip him $20-30 upfront, and he's not available to help you when you want, your tips would be better used for room service.

Then again, the steward will most likely be the one who cleans up all the dirty glasses, so tipping extra would be a good idea, for that reason alone.

Archived