I need to butter up my Steward...

LegalCat

We tip upfront in £ if they want it,most do, the 2nd cruise this year we had the two gentlemen who were fantastic, at 2pm on the first day we met them tipped them asked them at 3pm if they would mind getting our luggage as it had not arrive, 10 mins latter it was in the room,our next door neighbours got theirs at 7pm, it was a question of stopping them helping us not asking for extra service. all that for £60 tip the eqiv of 12 gallons of petrol in the UK cheap as chips

Would we have been looked after so well if we did not tip up front? I dont know and I dont care. regards

With all the Norovirus stuff, I don't think I want passengers going to the ice machine and sticking their hands or ice buckets or anything in there!

I know, I know. Everyone here will say "Oh, I'd never use my hands" or whatever, but you know people would.

I mean, people go to the Lido deck and stick their water bottle - that they just had in their mouth - right onto the water dispenser nozzle to refill. And the next person comes along and fills up their glass of ice water without knowing that someone else's mouth germs are all over the water dispenser. Ick.

Anyway, I never even saw my steward on our last cruise and the service was great. I would've appreciated getting more ice, but I usually just stopped at the Lido deck, grabbed a plastic cup or two, filled them with ice and took them to my cabin.

No need to ask for towel animals or turndown. You get that as part of the package.

I usually tip the "suggested" amount because I thought that the service I received was the service that should be provided. I'm not sure how much "extra" a steward could provide if you don't ask for lots and lots of additional work from them and you don't turn your cabin into a disaster zone on day one.

I'm that way in the restaurant, too. I expect great service on a cruise. If I were at my corner restaurant and got excellent service, I'd tip more, because it was unexpected. But on the cruise, I think excellence should be the standard.

Does any of that make sense? Maybe I've had too much caffeine already! :p

We always take a dry erase board and the first night write a note and leave a 20. Have had a great steward every time and Melvin even came and gave us a towel animal lesson. Then during the week we leave a message each day, and I think they look forward to seeing what we have to say and pictures our teens draw for them. Also a 20 at the end of the week.

I always take a few prepaid phone cards with me as an extra gift to give to cabin and dinning staff, the cards are always appreciated.

Most of the staff call home at each port, have you tried to get a pay phone at Miami docks? so I know that they can use them.

Archived