New Queen Elizabeth

SSL

Slightly off tangent, but I was hoping that Cunard/Carnival would, in 2009, sync up a couple of the TA voyages of QM2 with the QV in Europe so I could spend the best part of a month round trip from NY to Europe and back. (Hopefully. . . more than wishful thinking . . . :) )

Perhaps, for summer, QM2 transatlantics - almost all the time. No European cruises. Occasional New England/Canada ones.

QV - based (like 2008) in the Med.. ideal for those flying to Europe. Two week cruises the norm.

QE - based in Southampton. Round trips. Concentrating on interesting itineraries - and longer trips. Three week trips the norm. And with the speed to cruise at sensible speeds.

Winter - Caribbean for QM. QE - Africa, Middle East or such like. Victoria - longer European based Caribbean trips including Azores etc.

World cruises - QE first. QM/QV alternate years.

QE - follow layout of QM. Some of use like suites at the front. I don't think a raked stern is going anywhere, but perhaps some smaller suites - PG?

Then, more generally, ideas for QE.....

Faster speed.

Single Cabins.

Split main restaurant - a la Mauretania/Caronia. One level could be with sittings, the other (at a price) offering single seating. Club works so very well on Queen Mary.

AND DON'T CALL IT A LINER UNLESS IT IS!!!!

Matthew

I know this is a daft question from someone who has been on QE2 14 times, but do her 2 whistles have different sounds? You'd think I'd have noticed by now!!

Yes. Slightly!

The noon test is done first with both, then once each for each whistle. Then a little pip on the foghorn.

There is a control on the bridge to select both, or either separately.

Matthew

I agree, make her a liner!

In today's competitive market, each cruise line has to cut its own niche, and becomes known for its own selling point -- Carnival is the 'fun ships', catering to singles and young couples -- usually first-time cruisers, Royal Caribbean thrives on active couples and younger families who want to surf or ice skate on board, etc. Building a typical modern-day cruise ship for Cunard is akin to Disney coming out with an adults-only ship!

The Carnival Corporation has to remember that what sets Cunard apart in this market is its tradition of classic liners, with classic interiors, excellent service, transatlantic service, world cruises, catering to a more discerning clientele. The Queen Mary 2 is a perfect example of how that can translate to a modern world of cruise ships.

This new ship, especially if it's going to hold the name Queen Elizabeth, should be everything a modern ocean liner can be. Sleek lines, beautiful art deco inspired interiors, etc.

Where's Stephen Payne when you need him? ;)

Steve L.

Why can't they make an exact replica of QE2? I know they can't have the 'rabbit warren' corridors of 4 and 5 deck, but why not make everything else the same, Midships Lobby, Queen's Room, Chart Room etc? I know its never going to happen, but it would certainly make saying goodbye to QE2 a whole lot easier.

I also agree about the need for single cabins.

This just made my day 10x better!

It was a good day already, too! When I went onto Cruise Critic's homepage and saw the announcement, I think I stopped thinking for 3 seconds.:D

It's great just giving her the name Queen Elizabeth. If she does look like QV, which she most likely will, I hope she has some differences in her design.

I also hope that Carnival doesn't turn Cunard into "Holland America 2" and only give them Vista ships.

the liners are much more fitting for Cunard and I am glad they are going to keep this one reasonably sized. By the standards of many other new ships this one is still somewhat small, not many of the new ships are able to fit the the PC...that option leaves open so many iteneraries that other ships dont have...

Next is the price. My memory is that QM2 came in at $800-900 Mil US. I saw QV listed at 270 million in UK money which is my guess of $551 mil US.

Here they say $700 mil US for the new ship.

Now I know our money has taken a hit, but 5.5 to 700 mil is quite a jump for the Eurodam extra deck for cabins. Maybe we get lucky and get a new Cunard design...or something in between QV and QM2.

If I were to use the term 'Arrogant Englishman', the word 'arrogant' is not a racial term either, but used in this context, I think that it would be construed as such by most people. I am only using this as an example of course, not expressing an opinion.

Lighten up, Francis! You're going to give yourself a coronary.

And I'd like to add that my British-American dictionary also has "ornery" as a definition of bolshy, which sounds exactly like what Jimmy was saying.

Thank you Wadadli1 for your concern, but I assure you that you do not need to concern yourself over my cardiovascular health.

I am sorry, but my mastery of American English is inadequate to understand most of your post. I think however that the offending posts were written in English English.

Thank you Wadadli1 for your concern, but I assure you that you do not need to concern yourself over my cardiovascular health.

I am sorry, but my mastery of American English is inadequate to understand most of your post. I think however that the offending posts were written in English English.

No. Let's get this completely straight.

The bolshy Scots kicked up a fuss.

The unbolshy Scots didn't.

There is no racial overtone to "bolshy Scot". It simply describes a subset of the Scottish Nation.

Much like arrogant Englishmen.

You're seeing offence where none was intended, and where none should be taken. Unfortunately being a victim of racism is somewhat fashionable these days, and you've been taken in by it.

Matthew

oK STILL TRYING TO FOCUS ON THE TOPIC AT HAND, I offer the text of an E-mail a Brit friend got about the new ship. Close to the same text as the press release.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Cunarder

CUNARD TO BUILD 'QUEEN ELIZABETH'

New liner to enter service in 2010

I wanted to write and tell you personally, that we have recently announced that we have ordered a new 92,000-ton liner, to be named 'Queen Elizabeth', scheduled to enter service in the autumn of 2010. We have signed an agreement with Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri for the contruction of the new 2092-passenger ocean liner, which will be built at their Monfalcone yard at an all-in cost of approximately €500 million. The vessel will be the second largest Cunarder ever built.

As you know, we already own and operate the two most famous ocean liners in the world, Queen Elizabeth 2 and Queen Mary 2, and our third - Queen Victoria - is due to be named by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, in the presence of HRH The Prince of Wales, in December this year. The decision to order another ship for Cunard Line has been taken as a result of the strong booking response to our new Queen Victoria, and we are extremely pleased that Cunard will once again become a three-ship fleet so soon after the departure of the much celebrated Queen Elizabeth 2 in November next year. Furthermore we were delighted that Her Majesty The Queen gave her blessing to our calling this new Cunarder 'Queen Elizabeth', after our first vessel of that name.

Queen Elizabeth will offer the very best of Cunard's values and traditions, blended with every conceivable modern luxury that you, our guests, expect. Through her opulent public rooms and impeccable service, the new ship will reflect the grandeur which has been associated with Cunard ships since the introduction of the Mauretania in 1907; and from the outside, her black hull, gleaming white superstructure and distinctive red funnel will echo the classic characteristics of the company's distinctive liner heritage. Queen Elizabeth will fly the Red Ensign with her home-port Southampton, as is the case with the other ships in the Cunard fleet.

We will let you know design details, initial itineraries and details of how to book in due course.

I do hope that you will be as excited as I am about our news!

With kind regards

Carol Marlow

President & Managing Director

Of course the new ship won't measure up to the legacy of Queen Elizabeth 2, however good it is in itself, but surely the chance to hear those wonderful whistles would be good - on anything (providing it is a Cunarder)?

Matthew

I agree Matthew. Let's hope Cunard follows through and creates another special ship to carry on the legacy. What a tough act to follow. I vote for having a whistle from QE2 on the new ship. From a marketing standpoint, QE2 was unique and her replacement needs to be special as well. I think we have liner enthusiasts Stephen Payne and Carol Marlow on our side to make this happen. The budget quoted is significantly higher than other Vista class ships so maybe a unique design is in the works. (fingers crossed)

I would like to see some more speed, possible 4 pods? What fun we are going to have speculating on the design. Is a modern day version of QE2 a viable option? Let me get to the drawing board now.:)

I understand that the new ship can be called 'Queen Elizabeth' because the original ship has gone. How could they have called QM2, Queen Mary though (as suggested by Doug. & others), when the original still exists, even though she is no longer a seagoing vessel?

We will have this confusion over the HAL Rotterdam & the old Rotterdam which is to be moored in Rotterdam, Holland.

If there are any shipwrights left now in Clydebank, it would be sweet of Fincantieri to subcontract something of the new QE to them. The funnel perhaps. Might be worth it just for the free PR.

Paul

I understand that the new ship can be called 'Queen Elizabeth' because the original ship has gone. How could they have called QM2, Queen Mary though (as suggested by Doug. & others), when the original still exists, even though she is no longer a seagoing vessel?

We will have this confusion over the HAL Rotterdam & the old Rotterdam which is to be moored in Rotterdam, Holland.

Because the Queen Mary is, technically, a building. Not a ship.

There would have been no problem in calling Queen Mary 2 the Queen Mary.

It's been done before on many occasions in Cunard's history.

Matthew

Because the Queen Mary is, technically, a building. Not a ship.

There would have been no problem in calling Queen Mary 2 the Queen Mary.

It's been done before on many occasions in Cunard's history.

Matthew

Well I have booked a first class cabin for a night on that 'building' next month, before boarding a HAL Vista. Although technically, I am sure you are quite right, I am still happy that this grand old lady is the only 'ship' still to bear the name.

I'm warming up to the reuse of the Elizabeth name when QE2 still flies the Cunard house flag. Seeing as "Queen" is the new "-ia," and what with Cunard's British "flavour," you can only do so much with a pool of four. "Queen Elizabeth 3" pushes the limits. But now we have Queen Anne to look forward to rounding out the quartet!

But I do feel a bit bad for the original Queen Elizabeth of 1940, which is now in an awkward name situation. I think I'll switch over to QE1/QE2/QE3, no matter the technical names of each ship. KISS.

I'd love for something a bit more unique than Vicky. I think that the greater part of Cunardists feel that, while she might be a wonderful ship, she's a bit of a letdown in the heritage department (though we got more than we ever wished for in the hyperbole department). I want QE3 to be something "special" like a true Queen liner should be. Even if we're not talking totally bespoke, I'd love to see a better profile...more "under the funnel"...something that COULD do a winter crossing in SIX days, safely and well. Judging by January's itinerary, QV doesn't have that.

Elizabeth and Mary are, to me, the flagship Queen names. The four ships to carry them thus far have all been the true Queens of the line. Even though QE3 probably won't be a true runningmate to QM2 as QE1/QM were, I still want her to be...special. I get that feeling from the first four Queens. I don't from QV.

I also think that this gave me another benefit - now that the Elizabeth gap has been filled, I'm almost to the point where I can cope with QE2's leaving the fleet. (Almost. Sometimes I still cry myself to sleep.) There's a legacy to continue on, much like QE2 continued on QE1's legacy.

I just hope that it's a legacy worthy of two incredible predecessors. I'll start my wishlist now.

If there are any shipwrights left now in Clydebank, it would be sweet of Fincantieri to subcontract something of the new QE to them. The funnel perhaps. Might be worth it just for the free PR.

Paul

Some of the most beautiful ships and funnels;) came from Clydebank!

I understand that the new ship can be called 'Queen Elizabeth' because the original ship has gone.

But the original was not gone when Cunard had intended to name their new ship "Queen Elizabeth", soon to be known as Queen Elizabeth 2

For a time there was going to be two Queen Elizabeth's

Archived