New Queen Elizabeth

SSL

Fare enough, but are we discussing air travel?

Well, since it replaced liners it is analogous - BOAC flew VC-10s - the 'whisper-liners' (not like those noisy American Boeings, which of course replaced them when they proved un-economic) the French had the Caravelle....so there was plenty of differentiation in the hardware - and now there's none...its Boeing or Airbus....

We can turn the discussion to the passenger trade of the late 19th-mid 20th century if you like...

Which is what Cunard's marketing PR would have you believe. If you are of a philosophical frame of mind, at peace with the universe and in possession of a settled stomach unlikely to send back its contents....you might like to view the 2008 Crossings brochure:

http://www.cunard.com/brochure/

This is not a brochure to be set aside lightly (Dorothy Parker aficianados know how the sentence ends....):cool:

Ok, ok. I don't think I've seen a library "like this"--it's impressive, sure, but does it work?

Can we at least agree its got space for (a lot of) books?;)

What else do you fundamentally need in a Library (apart from a fun ride of 'first to tumble down the spiral staircase in stormy weather')?

Peter

So much the better to look down on the rest of us!:rolleyes:

(or make sure the great unwashed do not intrude upon their view of the sea.....)

Peter

I thought that was what the trip wires are for? No wait, that's the joggers. Oh, of course...the restaurants stick out because the trap doors to release the boiling oil is there....:eek:

There are a couple of other lines that those overhanging restaurants remind me of, and I never found them to be all that attractive. Hmm. It seems I'm finding that I am a purist and old-fashioned after all.

Which is what Cunard's marketing PR would have you believe. If you are of a philosophical frame of mind, at peace with the universe and in possession of a settled stomach unlikely to send back its contents....you might like to view the 2008 Crossings brochure:

http://www.cunard.com/brochure/

This is not a brochure to be set aside lightly (Dorothy Parker aficianados know how the sentence ends....):cool:

Yikes!

Well, we know that these broucures are not produced for you and I.

"The Most Famous Ocean Liner of Any Age, QM2"

"Any age"? Really?

"A floating oasis of most privileged exclusives"

LOL! Does that even make any sense?

"Legendary White Star Service"

I'm tired of hearing this.

What was their service before it became "White Star"?

And how can something in use for just a few years be "legendary"?

A meaningless marketing slogan clearly pandering to those whose only idea of ocean travel comes from seeing a certain film from a decade ago.

Can we at least agree its got space for (a lot of) books?;)

What else do you fundamentally need in a Library (apart from a fun ride of 'first to tumble down the spiral staircase in stormy weather')?

Peter

Yes, lots!

There needs to be an unwritten rule (or written, if you want) that when the weather is bad you take the bannister down, rather than the stairs.

I like your style... :p

We have found the new Funnel Run!:D

Unfair, gentlemen! Now I will have to plan on sailing on her just to participate...

Think anyone will notice a choo-choo train of people sliding down the bannister as one? Nah....they'll be looking at that Lot Of Books! ;)

Cunard's "Queen" brand has stood for the ultimate in ocean travel.

An experience unique to Cunard, of the grandest ships and the best that could be offered in shipboard ammenities.

In reality, the "Queen" naming system came as a result of the British Government bailout of Cunard in the 30's - without which the completion of QM(1) would have been impossible.

The Queen names were symbolic "Thank You"'s to the British people for bailing out Cunard.

In reality, the "Queen" naming system came as a result of the British Government bailout of Cunard in the 30's - without which the completion of QM(1) would have been impossible.

The Queen names were symbolic "Thank You"'s to the British people for bailing out Cunard.

Quite some time when by, after the global depression resulted in the work stoppage, before the government even considered the possibility of a loan to complete the ship.

The government's "bailout" of Cunard was by no means a matter of the government doing a favor for the Cunard line.

The government loan came with conditions. One of which was the disolvement of the Cunard Line itself.

Both the White Star Line (practically bankrupt) and the Cunard Line, under a deal brokered by Neville Chamberlain, sold their assets to a newly formed company called Cunard White Star Ltd.

It was believed that only one British company, rather than two in competiton with each other, had any chance of surviving in business on the North Atlantic when the other major shipping lines, from France, Germany, Italy, and the US, were heavily subsidied by their governments.

Three years went by after worked stopped at the John Brown yard before the loan came through, and even then it was a close call, there was much opposition to get through.

The board of the new Cunard White Star Ltd, wanting the new company to move away from the "ia" of the former Cunard Line and the "ic" of the former White Star Line, and wishing to honor the queen who had agreed to launch the new liner, had decided on "Queen Mary" for their new liner.

So, yes, ultimately, without a loan from the government under the condition that Cunard and White Star disolve and reform under a new company, there likely wouldn't be any liners called Queen Mary, or Elizabeth, or Victoria...

...The board of the new Cunard White Star Ltd, wanting the new company to move away from the "ia" of the former Cunard Line and the "ic" of the former White Star Line, and wishing to honor the queen who had agreed to launch the new liner, had decided on "Queen Mary" for their new liner.

Quite so.

Now that you mention it, I recall that part of the story as well.

Archived